PDA

View Full Version : Building Shortage? For Ch/ch!

pctek
11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Trades-training 'sweeteners' quake-zone option
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10718436

It takes a few years to complete your polytech course and then you still need an apprenticeship. They planning on rebuilding ch/ch in 5 years time?

Meanwhile there are plenty of building firms not getting enough work. http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/4752046/Second-housing-company-goes-under

Never mind the receiverships (and this is just one recently in the news). It impacts on the other trades, plumbing, electrical, they all run out of major work and the big firms start fighting for the little home jobs, which then impacts on the sole trader tradesmen.

This is the situation now.

Lawrence
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
One of the major decisions to be made is where to rebuild

Not much use on building on zones that is prone to Liquefaction and I doubt whether there is any definitive decision yet

I think the decision is to be released this week on temporary housing as rebuilding will take years and i hope will not involve fly by night companies or suspect designs that will be less resilient in this Geological zone

Battleneter2
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
There is no doubt a massive shortage of skilled workers.

Wonder if the Government have considered targeting Ireland. In the 2000-2007 boom years there were 10'000 of young people trained in construction. Now with Irish economy heavily in the toilet unemployment is well over 14% and construction is one of the hardest hit sectors.

bob_doe_nz
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Wonder if we'll then have locals screaming they took their jobs.

pctek
11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
There is no doubt a massive shortage of skilled workers.

And you know that how?

gary67
11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes one of Nelsons big players in construction folded a few weeks ago, yet if work in Chch had been available they might have survived who knows. Plenty of builders with not much work on up here but if and when it picks up then there will be a real shortage of trades. I'm not going back to my trade after my operation in May

Bobh
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
People tend to go where the work is and there should be plenty of work in Christchurch. This could lead to a shortage of tradesmen in some centres.

Battleneter2
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
And you know that how?

I follow Irish news and Economic forums from time to time, it common knowledge there.

Lurking
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
A relief worker from our insurance company gave us a time frame of 3 to 20 years, so I proffered 18 years for our repairs to be carried out, could be was the reply.

They have to build 12,000 odd new homes for the ones destroyed and a good place would be down on the plains near Rolleston, where hopefully there is good Waimak. rockbed to absorb the future quakes.

We only hope EQC and insurance coys.', don't run of money meantime.

Lurking.

pctek
11-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Yes one of Nelsons big players in construction folded a few weeks ago, yet if work in Chch had been available they might have survived who knows. Plenty of builders with not much work on up here

And here. And elsewhere. i know.
If they hurry up and get on with it it might save a few more companies.
Those that aren't directly involved will get more work too, cause it's quiet all over at the moment.

Battleneter2
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't believe as many as 12,000 homes will need to be built. CHCH has already lost a small percentage of its population, and as people become frustrated about job progress some more will move on. Prob 5-10% population loss over the next 5 years imho which will ease the housing shortage in the city.

Medium to long term the population growth will resume a more traditional curve (San Francisco was about the same size as CHCH in 1906)

As for Rolleston, not sure that's everyone's cup of tea living that far out, simply to negate the tiny possibility of a similar event happening again in your life time. The East side will actually keep around 80% of its houses, so these huge new areas the media is hinting at is largely not going to happen with maybe only a few thousand new homes, when you consider the short term loss of population.

People will click onto all of this in the next year or two.

R2x1
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
It doesn't take a great deal to steer populations around, malls etc. are not as likely to build on jelly as they were a while ago. If they move, people follow rather quickly as houses in general are faster to build than major developments, also a new green fields development usually has less problems with the nimby squads than a new development in an established area.

--Wolf--
11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I think the decision is to be released this week on temporary housing

Go for a drive past the A&P Show Grounds. Hundreds if not a thousand or so (anyone know how many?) of caravan/campervans set up out there. **** way to live but it's better than no where.

As for having "heaps and heaps" of work in Chch. It depends on what work you do.

I'm in the building industry and we are still struggling for work atm, will be months to years before we pick up most the EQ stuff.

Lurking
11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
As for Rolleston, not sure that's everyone's cup of tea living that far out, simply to negate the tiny possibility of a similar event happening again in your life time. The East side will actually keep around 80% of its houses, so these huge new areas the media is hinting at is largely not going to happen with maybe only a few thousand new homes, when you consider the short term loss of population.

People will click onto all of this in the next year or two.

Rolleston, was where the late Sir James Wattie predicted the population growth would be, so he built his factory in Hornby in the early 1970's.

There is quite a bit of industry accumulating on that side of town too.

The absent residents may yet return, if mooney shuts up !.

Lurking.

tuiruru
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Wonder if the Government have considered targeting Ireland.

Employing Irish would keep things "green" in a manner of speaking! (Although thinking about their thick accent that's probably not the best way of putting it! :confused: (Come to think of it using the word "thick" when saying anything about the Irish is probably culturally in appropriate :waughh:)) :D

Cicero
11-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Nothing seems to be going on Ch Ch, or so it seems.
There are bound to be problems, Fatso, as minister in charge should be communicating with all and sundry, so that we have some idea what is going on.

I mean what does the bugger do all day.

gary67
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I mean what does the bugger do all day.

Eat pies

Cicero
12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Eat pies

Gary, I think you have never been so right.

Gobe1
12-04-2011, 09:00 AM
We are having trouble getting desks for our office. The blame is on CHCH taking the country's stock of the models we buy. Things you dont think of that NZ has learned in the last 6 months...

tuiruru
12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Things you dont think of that NZ has learned in the last 6 months...
Fonterra is setting it's milk prices too high for the internal market! (well you did ask!)