PDA

View Full Version : icons (exe) all look the same

04-10-2001, 03:51 PM
All my .exe program icons look identical. This happened when I changed the appearance of one .exe program icon using the Microangelo icon changer program. Now this continues to happen if I change an exe file - ie. all exe files appear the same. This also applies if I browse the contents of a disc or cd - the exe file icons on the disc all appear identical to those on my computer. How can I get things back to normal?

04-10-2001, 04:35 PM
If you have TweakUI installed then you can rebuild system icons. Open the TweakUI applet from the control panel. Click the repair tab and click the rebuild icons button.

04-10-2001, 08:36 PM
With the microangelo suite there is a programme call 'microangelo on display'
Under the 'advanced' tab there are options to rebuild the icon cache and to remover the cache. When you reboot, Windows will rebuild a new set. One of these two options should restore everything to the way it used to be.

==Orac==

05-10-2001, 04:19 PM
Thank you very much for your helpfull response. However when I use Microangelo to remove the icon cache I get a message saying that is is unable to do so because of a 'lack of security privilege' or a system problem that prevented ShellConCache file from being deleted'.
I have tried manually deleting this file myself - it has no effect.I have tried getting help from Microangelo but get no response. Any suggestions?

05-10-2001, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I downloaded and tried repairing the problem with Tweakv1 using both repair and rebuild. I assume the 'need to log off before the changes will take effect' message that I got when using this utility means restart the computer. Unforfunately it did not cure the problem.
Thanks, Peter