PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Master Boot Record

04-10-2001, 11:14 AM
I cannot access my hard drive-suspect I have managed to damage the MBR during an attempted Mandrake Linux upgrade.At the end of the POST,I get a seies of 101010..and cannot proceed.Have managed to install W98 setup files by booting off cdrom ,but cannot boot drive to initiate setup.
How do fix the MBR ,if that is the problem?Help please-its driving me nuts.

04-10-2001, 11:24 AM
To restore the master boot record, restart the computer at the dos prompt using a boot disk or bootable CD. Type 'fdisk /mbr', note that using fdisk will erase the contents of the disk.

04-10-2001, 11:57 AM
Don't rush into this if you have things you need to save on your hardrive. Somwhere I saw a utility to alter the master boot record, can't remember where. Someone else might know. Is your hardrive 1 partition? Can you see the hardrive using win98 startup disk?

04-10-2001, 12:02 PM
fdisk /mbr will not wipe your disk, it jst copies the mbr from your floppy to the harddrive's mbr

04-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the prompt assistance.I'm presuming that once there is a new MBR written to disk ,it overwrites everything there(ie:I have only ONE MBR )Contents of the drive not NB-its a disk I experiment on.
Originally ,my BIOS would'nt even see the drive (new ASUS MB) so this is being done on my nephew's box.(While this drive was hooked up ,BIOS would ONLY see the floppy ,and nothing else ie:2 HDDs & CD-ROM-very bizarre)..