PDA

View Full Version : Magazines?

Cato
07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I was wondering, how many of you folks still subscribe to magazines?

I recall when I was younger I'd see tons of magazines around, my uncle has a massive collection (hundreds if not thousands) of NatGeo mags, Newsweek, Time etc.

I used to have dozens of computer & playstation magazines when I was in my early teens. Don't have anything now or pretty much the last 8-10 years.

I can't recall seeing any non-women magazines lying around friends' houses in a fairly long time.

What do you subscribe to, if at all?

DeSade
07-04-2011, 02:11 PM
The time I would sit and read a mag is now used to surf the net through a variety of subjects that a mag cannot cover in its pages.

Trev
07-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Over the years I use to buy or subscribe to magazines, National Geographic, Readers Digest, an astronomy magazine, two or three computer mags, I have ditched the lot and the only mag I get now is the consumer. Everything else I want to know is on the net.
:)

wratterus
07-04-2011, 02:44 PM
I buy the occasional Top Gear mag for the coffee table, but that's about it. Never have enough time to read them these days anyway.

pctek
07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I buy the Listener and AtomicMPC but I don't subscribe.

R2x1
07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I used to buy a fair few, but they have all gone to dross and twaddle now. Just not worth the trouble of picking up, never mind paying for them.

Metla
07-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I pick up the odd motorcycle mag for the toilet.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Otherwise, Nothing.

The era of dead tree media is dead, and about time.

Now we need a digital bum wiper.:D

johcar
07-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Otherwise, Nothing.

There already is - if you think about it. Bit messy though... :D

Trev
07-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I think in Japan they use a wet cloth.
:)

The Error Guy
07-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I buy the odd one but most are $8 and over. its not worth it these days. Stuff like silicone chip are still good but most are turning to toss and twaddle

Cicero
07-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Otherwise, Nothing.

Will a Thai bum gun do?

Cato
07-04-2011, 06:11 PM

That's kinda the reason I asked the question.

Looking back at our brief history of computing, I am seeing something quite scary.

Most recently, with the phasing out of floppy drives, how much information has been lost because we for the most part no longer have access to floppys - 3.25 are hard enough to come by but I doubt anyone is still producing 5.25s (hell, you couldn't find them in the mid-late 90s)... ZIP drives have been phased out too.

In 20 odd years, I can see the general population forgetting that video and audio cassettes even existed. Everything that hasn't been transfered will be lost for good.

In the same vain, today we are still capable reading (to an extent) texts that are several thousand years old, where will we be in 100 years?

As soon as Google Books is up and running world wide books will start becoming a niche product. As it seems newspapers and magazines have become.

/end senseless rant

bot
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Gift subscription to PCWorld.

I always like to read it at the end of the day instead of staring at a screen.

paulw
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Subscribe to PC World, Tone and TV Guide.. But if the ever go online only it's by by..

gary67
07-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Have a subscription to NZ Wilderness and will to do so for some time to come. I have just renewed it for another year, however they are looking at a digital edition and I would possibly swap. I do like to look back at them though for future trip ideas

WalOne
07-04-2011, 09:51 PM
In the same vain, today we are still capable reading (to an extent) texts that are several thousand years old, where will we be in 100 years?

With spell check stuffing up our written communication, probably several thousand years ago. :D

Bobh
07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I subscribe to PCWorld and the Southland Times.

plod
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Otherwise, Nothing.

We have just had one of our best years at work according to my employer, investing in new machinery last year, and again this year.
A paperless office has been tried, and been found out it doesn't work.
One thing I don't miss is the sticky pages in the umm men's mags

ubergeek85
07-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Don't buy any mags.

Considering going for an online subscription to PCW, $30/year is cheap as chips, but I found that, going through the free online sample mag that I only bothered to read the editorial, I think that my interests are a little more 'focused' than they used to be - I prefer reading an interesting, in-depth article on a 6502 or the stories of reverse-engineers rather than a printer roundup or AV tests, and considering I've taken to Linux like a duck to water (or should that be a duckling), I take little notice of windows now.

But then again, Geoff Palmer sure knows how to write a good privacy/consumer affairs article.

Winston001
07-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Ticked none but reading your posts I've remembered I do subscribe to The Southland Times and The Listener. Used to get PC World.

Yeah I know everything is digital today but for reading that isn't comfortable for me. I like to sit in the conservatory and read the Listener or a book. Can't do it with a laptop - much too much daylight.

Also, I simply do not find reading a screen a happy experience. Quick stuff like forum posts - fine, one page articles ok, but nothing which requires concentration. Plus you can't make notes on a screen. :D

SurferJoe46
08-04-2011, 05:45 AM
1) Wired Magazine
2) The Smithsonian (I'm a card-carrying Associate in good standing)

The Sears Catalog and National Geographic were my first sex education journals.

gary67
08-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I find trying to do the crossroads on my computer the pen doesn't write very well on the screen unless I use a vivid marker

Bobh
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I find trying to do the crossroads on my computer the pen doesn't write very well on the screen unless I use a vivid marker

I use the keyboard.

SurferJoe46
09-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Cross-ROADS?

I thought since they are word puzzles and that they aren't written in the middle of a vehicular intersection, they are more correctly called: crossword puzzles.

gary67
09-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Just a local colloquialism there, whether you call them crossroads or crosswords the vivid still affects the screen

mikebartnz
09-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I have given up on buying PC magazines.

SurferJoe46
09-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I have given up on buying PC magazines.

I don't buy any computer mags any more either - not since I shut down my Amigaand my C>64.

Actually I really bought them for the free CDs inside them with games and new utilities.

Pato
09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I still subscribe to PC World but am thinking of giving it up.

mikebartnz
09-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't buy any computer mags any more either - not since I shut down my Amigaand my C>64.

Actually I really bought them for the free CDs inside them with games and new utilities.
I gave up because the almighty advertising dollar started ruling them and they became very shallow

SurferJoe46
09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I gave up because the almighty advertising dollar started ruling them and they became very shallow

Good point, Mike. I didn't even think of that - but it's very obvious, isn't it?

Yeah - $$$ talks and we know what is bipedal.

I tend to believe that Wired is going that way too - but I will look the other way for a while as the articles are (sometimes) brilliant and other times they are entertaining.

What I dislike if the 2pt font they use for the articles.

rob_on_guitar
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I used to buy heaps, but the net is much quicker than any magazine really. Plus magazine prices are out of this world these days.

mikebartnz
09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Plus magazine prices are out of this world these days.
They wouldn't be if they had something worth reading.

bot
09-04-2011, 07:45 PM
We have just had one of our best years at work according to my employer, investing in new machinery last year, and again this year.
A paperless office has been tried, and been found out it doesn't work.
One thing I don't miss is the sticky pages in the umm men's mags

Sticky touchscreen/keyboard? :yuck:

mikebartnz
09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Good point, Mike. I didn't even think of that - but it's very obvious, isn't it?

Yeah - $$$ talks and we know what is bipedal.

I tend to believe that Wired is going that way too - but I will look the other way for a while as the articles are (sometimes) brilliant and other times they are entertaining.

What I dislike if the 2pt font they use for the articles.
Back in the 90's I used to get PCMagazine from the USA and after giving up on that moved to PCPro from England and then to PCWorld from NZ and really enjoyed Geoff Palmer and his articles about Linux/Delphi etc. but then it appeared he got ankle tapped so I have just given up since then.
As for the font size I am sure so many things use a font size that is way too small now.

Terry Porritt
09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I used to buy heaps, but the net is much quicker than any magazine really. Plus magazine prices are out of this world these days.

Too true.

Back in the days before I had left school, and first of all had pocket money until I was 12 (2/6d/week), then earned money from a paper round (7/6d a week) then a butchers delivery round and shop work (15/- a week) and then a saturday job in an ex-govt surplus shop (1/week), I used to buy:

Boy's Own Paper
Hobbies Weekly
Meccano Magazine (http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/)
Cycling
Practical Wireless
Wireless World every now and then
Motor Cycling (The Green'un; the Blue'un was The Motorcycle)
The Aeroplane
The Melody Maker

...........and I still had money left over for pictures, hobbies, records (78rpm), a motorbike, holidays etc.

SurferJoe46
10-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Too true.

Back in the days <yadda, yadda, yadda>

...........and I still had money left over for pictures, hobbies, records (78rpm), a motorbike, holidays etc.

Then you got married. :devil

Terry Porritt
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Then you got married. :devil

How did you guess ?

Ah, the sacrifices made...first the record collection, then the motorbike, then there was not enough room in the flat for all the magazines, so out went the Aeroplane and all the Motorcyclings except for Vincent articles...But I did keep several years worth of Vincent Owners Club magazines.

Nowadays I only buy the odd Silicon Chip magazine if there is an article of interest.

However there is still a shedfull of Electronics Australia and Practical Wireless, "Camm's Comic" as it was disrepectfully called :)