PDA

View Full Version : Gas Bottle Checker?

Ninjabear
06-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi

This is probably a very random question but I'll ask anyway

My friend's house hot water runs on gas and there are two 2m Gas bottle outside the house that heats up the water so anything related to hot water even the shower runs on gas.

The gas bottle outside don't have a meter to determine if there any gas left so unfortunately if one day you have a cold shower then that means the gas is used up.

Does anyone know what can be installed onto the Gas bottle or anything that has can read if there are any gas left in the gas bottle?

Oh the gas are refilled by some company who replaces the bottle.

TideMan
06-04-2011, 11:36 PM
The way our system works is that once one gas bottle is empty, the system automatically switches to the other. There is a semaphore device with red and green flags that shows which one has gas a which one doesn't. When the gas switches from one bottle to the other, we order a new bottle.

We don't wait until the shower goes cold before ordering a new bottle. :rolleyes:

wainuitech
06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Get a gauge installed - But I'd suggest you get a registered gas fitter to put in the correct one - playing about with that sort of thing will no doubt void the insurance as if theres a problem and it blows up -Well enough said I think. :eek:

R2x1
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Pour a litre or two of hot water on the top of the bottle in use, wait a few seconds then run your hand down the outside of the bottle. When you feel the cold level, that is the top of the liquid. (It is mostly liquid in the bottle, Liquid Petroleum Gas =LPG) When the level is near the bottom switch to the other bottle and order a replacement.
A simple pressure gauge won't tell you how much gas is left, as the pressure is determined by the temperature, not the amount since most is liquid and some boils off as the pressure drops thus keeping the pressure up until there is no more liquid accessible. You could hang the bottle on a spring balance, when the indicated weight is the same as the tare weight of the cylinder, you are out of gas, thus the indicated weight minus the tare is the amount of gas you have left.

John H
07-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Tideman has the correct answer. That was the system we had for about 6 years and it never failed. You just have to keep an eye on the flag switchover from green to red, and then order another bottle.

sarel
07-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I bought a little temperature strip for my BBQ gas bottle some years ago that you stick on the outside. For the level you pour hot water on the strip and let it cool down and it shows the level clearly. Don't know where to get it though - got mine from a car boot sale for $1

sarel

gary67
07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
give the bottle a shake you can generally hear the gas sloshing around

Trev
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi

This is probably a very random question but I'll ask anyway

My friend's house hot water runs on gas and there are two 2m Gas bottle outside the house that heats up the water so anything related to hot water even the shower runs on gas.

The gas bottle outside don't have a meter to determine if there any gas left so unfortunately if one day you have a cold shower then that means the gas is used up.

Does anyone know what can be installed onto the Gas bottle or anything that has can read if there are any gas left in the gas bottle?

Oh the gas are refilled by some company who replaces the bottle.

Thats the idea of the 2 bottles. When one runs out you get it refilled. As mentioned there should be some sort of gauge on the bottles to till you which one is MT.
:)

DT33
07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi, what you need is an auto changeover regulator. if the pressure drops in one of the 45kg bottles due to high use it automaticall switches over to the secondary cylinder. Once the pressure build back up in the primary cylinder it switches back. The red and green arrow indicates which is the primary cylinder. Go to your local Plumbing World, they sell them and will know of a gas fitter that can install the reg.

pine-o-cleen
07-04-2011, 11:11 PM
give the bottle a shake you can generally hear the gas sloshing around

I'm guessing he has 2x 22kg bottles, so shaking them might take a fair bit of lifting!

dugimodo
08-04-2011, 10:15 AM
similar to the hot water thing, go look early in the morning at the condensation on the bottle (assuming it's somewhere that gets condensation of course), generally you can see a line where the liquid starts.

John H
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
similar to the hot water thing, go look early in the morning at the condensation on the bottle (assuming it's somewhere that gets condensation of course), generally you can see a line where the liquid starts.

The difficulty with all of these rule of thumb methods is that they are so imprecise. You end up getting the company out to replace the bottle when there is still usable gas in the bottle, which you do not get a credit for with these large cylinders. They aren't like the barbecue cylinders you take to the garage for refilling and you pay for what you get. You really want to ensure these big cylinders are completely empty before you get a replacement, given the price of gas these days.

Several people (including me) have already recommended to the OP that s/he gets a gas installer to install a regulator yoke that joins the two cylinders. When one is empty, it automatically switches over to the other full cylinder, and puts up a red flag to show that this has happened. You then have the life of the second fill in which to order a replacement for the empty cylinder. This is the only sensible way to go. OnGas (or whoever the gas supplier is) will know what to do - just call them.

The fact that Ninjabear has not responded in this thread, and further that he is asking about a friend's setup, makes me wonder whether we are all wasting our time making suggestions.