PDA

View Full Version : Methane probs.

Cicero
06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
It would seem from here that carbon credit malarkey needs another look at.

Those amongst us with a chemistry bent can interpret this for those that don't quite get it.

Excuse the syntax, I am not typing it again.

http://goo.gl/MPPYl

Gobe1
06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Aww man no more cow fart jokes :(

R2x1
06-04-2011, 03:07 PM
When he stated that livestock do not fart, I lost interest. I spent a few hours as a kid not too far behind the methane disperser of a draught horse or two, and while I only think horses are livestock, the notion that horses don't fart is largely based on the parent material of said farts.
They were the reason I walked behind the clod-crusher rather than riding on it. The distance behind was limited by the length of the reins. Springtime horse farts had added reasons to keep clear. OSH should have all horses bear a placard stating that nose protection must be worn.

John H
06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I can confirm that horses fart. When I was a kid my sister and I used to take the draught horse back to her paddock when her work for the day was done. I hate to admit it, but my sis and I used to deliberately get her up to a trot because at that velocity she would then start a sustained bout of farting. For some reason to us in the early 1950's and at that stage of childhood, this was hilarious. Sigh. Impressive farter though, old Peg.

And goats fart too. Our milk goat always farted when she sneezed. We could never work out whether the fart caused the sneeze or the sneeze caused the fart. Impressive too - she used to double up like a hinge with the effort.

Simple pleasures.

BTW R2x1, in our desire to share our knowledge of farting, we ignored the fact that the plonker who wrote the article was talking about ruminants. AFAIK said horse is not a ruminant. Goats are though.

John H
06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Aww man no more cow fart jokes :(

It isn't about farting - it is about ruminant belching, so we should concentrate on sheep and cow belching jokes rather than botty cough jokes.

Terry Porritt
06-04-2011, 04:21 PM
"Their ETS is equally forlorn as a policy because it is based on methodology which is not scientifically credible."

So, which way will Snorkbox jump ? :p

John H
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
"Their ETS is equally forlorn as a policy because it is based on methodology which is not scientifically credible."

Shhhh, he may look for references to his nom de plume...

R2x1
06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
However, in favour of farting/belching livestock is the ability of methane to intercept the dreaded u/v rays and act as a back stop for the missing ozone. In the spirit of public service and cutting down the sunburn costs, give heaps of beans to goats, pigs and horses, and load the German Sheppard's bowl with pumpkin and cabbage. It could be the new industry for Chch, - - - farting for victory. The Beehive must be putting out a pretty fair plume too.
After a year or two of this we will be able to go out in the noonday sun for more than 10 minutes a week. It will, sadly, be only appreciated by those whose noses are stone deaf.

kenj
06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
For some reason to us in the early 1950's and at that stage of childhood, this was hilarious. Sigh. Impressive farter though, old Peg.

:blush: ...know what you mean.. SWMBO's nickname is P.... :blush:

Hope she doesn't read this :devil

Ken

Snorkbox
06-04-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm waiting to be told what to think as it happens. :rolleyes:

John H
06-04-2011, 09:47 PM
:blush: ...know what you mean.. SWMBO's nickname is P.... :blush:

Hope she doesn't read this :devil

Ken

Wow, you are living dangerously... Officially, the proper name for our old farter (or the four legged variety) was Peggy (Peg for short). Hope that gets you off the hook. And I hope your nick isn't Barney, cos he was the bull...