PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

Pato
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Anyone using this (or similar) for backup.? What are your thoughts on these systems.?

gary67
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Step son uses it and likes it, wifes work also use it so she can access stuff when out of the office without the need for their own server. seems to work well

hotkiwi
05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I would be wary that others accessing your data is easier than over one of the other online backup services like mosh and carbonate and if you look at the charges once you exceed 2 GB you may just as well go with the others. Not sure if dropbox encrypts at all and the public folder is dangerously close to your private ones.

Pato
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks. That is interesting. It sounds like a good idea and I wondered what others thought.

Barnabas
05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I use it to keep a core set of files available across multiple systems so its less about backup and more about file availability.

I also use the public folder to keep the teamviewer app in so that when 1 of the many relatives needs tech help I just point them to the public link so they can download it.

Finally I love that you can recover files accidentally deleted by using the web interface or even get access to previous versions.

Overall, thumbs up.

Pato
05-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks Barnabas, That is what I will use it for also. Cheers.

paulw
05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I use the free Dropbox here at work for our support techs to get access to files and docs that they may need. Great application. Rather slow on the upload though as a 200Meg file can take hours to upload..

Pato
05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Well that wouldn't worry me, as being retired I have all day to upload files LOL.