PDA

View Full Version : Trademe shambles

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Bought a galaxy S off a guy called gr-drift (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=363575091)

The galaxy was to replace my i9000 that doesn't work on XT.

I received the phone today and was puzzled to find it didn't work on XT (no service) I quickly found out why, all the branding on the box and ROM's on the phone stated it was also an i9000 and didn't support 850Mhz WCDMA

I emailed the seller asking for an explanation and he came back with

hi there

!!!! very strange i have had my telecom sim in it for months and it works great!!!! no troubles i live in rotorua worked every were flew to wellignton last weekend and worked there aswell!???

Now I find this information very very hard to believe unless somehow he managed to walk in the extremely limited 2100Mhz coverage area.

I Don't actually know what to say now or how to sort this. It seems I have been pushed into a hole that I can't get out of.

So now i'm 2x useless (to me) SGS i9000's down and very very peeved :mad:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out? if so I would be very greatful

GameJunkie
04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
he does say it works on all NZ networks so I would ask for a refund.

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I probably will. I just don't know how to word it :p

plod
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
It would seem the right questions weren't asked, And technically would he be correct saying it worked on all networks (even if it was limited).
These are some of the things you might want to think about before asking him

prefect
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Claire is a girls name

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I would partially agree plod however the fact that it was listed in the XT section and stated "works on all networks" definitely implied that it was a fully functioning device on the XT network.

Even if technically correct it seems very deceitful to not state that it didn't support 850

Prefect, Where'd you get Claire from?

prefect
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I would partially agree plod however the fact that it was listed in the XT section and stated "works on all networks" definitely implied that it was a fully functioning device on the XT network.

Even if technically correct it seems very deceitful to not state that it didn't support 850

Prefect, Where'd you get Claire from?
The winner of the auction pylon pete profile name claire

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Ah, ok yeah. Thats my Mum's name :p she bought (did the trademe + transaction bit) for me

prefect
04-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Last guy who fessed to underage TM account here got it disabled.

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I didn't use the Acct. The reason I'm having to sort it is because my mum is in the states and my dad is in china.

icow
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Ah, ok yeah. Thats my Mum's name she bought (did the trademe + transaction bit) for me

Technically his mum brought the phone... So I'd say he's claire of that issue :D lame pun intended

However, you should recieve your money back. Check this: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

works overseas and in nz on all networks

Mexico's 3G network is 850GSM only.

plod
04-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I didn't use the Acct. The reason I'm having to sort it is because my mum is in the states and my dad is in china.

Woo Hoo, home alone

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, pretty much. sad thing is most of that home alone time is spent at the boarding house (drat) then i'm off to china.

so really I only get one weekend at home... party at my place :D

Yeah, looked at the brazillian and Mexican versions of the SGS (i9000L and i9000B as well as the latin i9000T which is the same as telcom NZ. even looked at canadian i9000B's)

Basicly if I can get my $$ back then i'll try to sell my other SGS and save for the galaxy S II

Jester
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
More money than sense seems to come to mind. Buy one when you are in China as you won't be in NZ to use it anyway?

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I bought my original i9000 in china. The problem is that china/asia doesn't use 850Mhz so phones that support it as very scant.

More money than sense? I have sense (arguably :D) but not a lot in the $$ department.

Just because I have two SGS's doesn't mean I have money to burn. far from it. I tried to buy this SGS and work on selling my earlier one. Now it seems that has failed and i'm down $1300

I don't have money to throw away in any way shape or form

radium
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Complain to TM, say he mislead you with the description and it was an unfair sale. It does not do as stated. Demand a refund and TM should contact the trader and see what he has to say.

The Error Guy
04-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Cheers for the input radium. I had a look on TM earlier for something like that, can you point me towards a link for that or should I just flip them an email explaining what happened (and what I have done to communicate with the seller)

icow
05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/help/415/code-of-conduct
http://www.trademe.co.nz/help/565/the-goods-or-service-were-different-than-described

Cicero
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Try to stick to the bleedin point.

The Error Guy
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Cheers for that icow

--Wolf--
05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Righto so if it's anything like my Ideos the XT coverage is limited - however it does still work, at least in the major centers. My phone is designed for 2D/Voda yet I still use it with my XT, get reception in most places around here.

I don't think saying that it works on all networks is misleading because uh technically it does? And if he had no problem with coverage then how would he know otherwise?

The way I personally see it is better questions should have been asked. Sure maybe he should've said it has limited XT coverage, but again what if he didn't know? If I never left my house with mine I wouldn't know otherwise cause I get great reception here.

And as for it being listed in XT phones - because that's what he was using it for.

Just try and sell it on or get your number switched to a 2d or something.

The Error Guy
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I live in wellington and tried to use my XT SIM in the hope that the 2100MHz coverage would be adequate, I got signal at wellington and Auckland airports but other than that it was emergency calls only on Voda/2d freqs.

He claims he used it in wellington fine, which contradicts what I experienced.

There is no voda/2d signal where I board in masterton and signal is very scant where I live in wellington so that was the reason I was trying to sell my current SGS (and now i'm stuck with this one too it seems)

Does anyone know what the 2100 coverage is like around rotorua? He says he used it for months without problems. Maybe rotorua has good 2100 coverage

Alex B
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I had an i9000t on my desk before, they say i9000t on the back behind the battery....so if it doesn't then ask for a refund and give the phone back.

The Error Guy
05-04-2011, 04:58 PM
It says GT-i9000, he doesn't want to do a refund as it was working on XT up until the date of sale

icow
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
At this point I'd threaten him with consumer guarantees act and disputes tribunal. If you took him to disputes and took the phone with you and it didn't work there I'm sure they'd rule in your favour.

Who was the other user you was sellign a phone and had to refund it? ask them i say.

The Error Guy
05-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think i'd threaten him yet but i'm not so sure how the tribunal would swing. They could go either way IF it could be proved that the phone operated properly in rotorua and wellington. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't but I don't know.

As of now my parents are having a discussion with each other (and presumably the seller) via a nice n slow email and massive time differences :D

Judging by the fact the phone has a developer ROM flashed to it I doubt the guy doesn't know what i'm talking about when I say it doesn't work on telecom or what 850Mhz WCDMA is. as far as i'm aware those things don't ship with dev roms on them (test key 332 MASTER, clockwork mod I think)

radium
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Did you contact TM? Explain the situation.

The Error Guy
05-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Not yet (because of time differences) and also because my parents want to sort it out. I don't want to put cards on the deck that could affect the play but i'll give them a heads up as to talking to TM

Alex B
05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Use the IMEI checker on telecoms website and show him the result.