PDA

View Full Version : Which anti-virus to use

QW.
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
My net book came with Trend Micro Titanium Security (30 day Trial) installed. Is there a free alternative to the above program?

Renmoo
03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Enough said.

lakewoodlady
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Enough said.

+ 1

LL

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I'll echo what they said. It's pretty good, however that said I've been trialing Avira lately too which hasn't been too bad. Doesn't interfere with my gaming like MSE did...

trinsic
03-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Can't go wrong with Avira or MSE.

inphinity
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Yup, agreed, MSSE is really pretty good for a free product. Personally I'd pay the $50-odd bucks for NOD32, though.

QW.
04-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Does security essentials have its own firewall or is it just anti-virus?

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Its an AV, not a firewall. But it is network aware (if youre on a network, it will pick up nasties), if something is / or maybe infected

Gobe1
04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Perhaps there should be a sticky for what antivirus is currently recommended here
There have been a lot of post lately asking the same thing, what do you think Chill?

John H
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, I have just bought NOD32 again - a three licence jobbie for the three PCs in our house.

I found that MSSE just seemed to take over at times and interfered too much with performance, particularly with my laptop which is getting a bit aged.

Chilling_Silence
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Well, I have just bought NOD32 again - a three licence jobbie for the three PCs in our house.

I found that MSSE just seemed to take over at times and interfered too much with performance, particularly with my laptop which is getting a bit aged.

Yeah I found that too, I have NOD32 on half my boxes, and have ditched MSE on my main one to try Avira. MSE would occasionally destroy all performance on the system by chewing up the CPU for no reason at all. I wasn't impressed. So far Avira has been great performance-wise, just like NOD32, but because I keep my nose clean I can't really comment on its performance for catching nasties.

Thought about a stickied thread, could be a good idea actually!

Paul Ramon
04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I always recommend using Microsoft Security Essentails for a free AV and NOD32 if you have too much money & wanna pay for one. But gotta say I'm broke- as at the moment but will use my Nod32..lol

05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
keep in mind that some of the free AV's WILL NOT scan SSL POP email
(eg xtra & sendmail/465/995/SSL on laptops )

Avira does have more false positives than the others (is that fixed??) , so I just turn down the heuristics
Avira free wont scan emails.

:thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Mines been very good so far. There was one file that MSE and NOD32 picked up as a false-positive, but Avira ignored it. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I dunno ... :D

Scanning SSL shouldn't work because it's an encrypted connection. What some AV products *may* do is scan your downloaded inbox files AFTER they've been received, but AFAIK because it's SSL, no AV product should be able to scan it? Correct me if I'm wrong ...

05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Some of the free ones require upgrade to pay version to scan SSL email.
I think Nod scans ssl email (??)
Not sure how they scan it.
I use Eudora, it extracts out the attatchments as they are downloaded & they get scanned as a file .So I get equivalent to email scanning even tho Avira free doesnt do any email scanning at all.

autechre
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Another Avira user here. I've been using it for years and apart from a few false positives, it's been working fine.
I tried MSSE, but it didn't give me any option to do manual updates - so out it went :D

As for email scanning, I use webmail to screen everything. Anything slightly spammy gets deleted before it gets downloaded to my pc.

QW.
06-04-2011, 08:29 PM
does security essentials have any downside?

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Occasionally it goes rogue with your cpu and maxes it out...

:pf1mobmini:

QW.
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM
So avast may be another option to MSE?

Bobh
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I am using MSE at the moment but Avast is a good alternative.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Avira is a better alternative to MSE, but I'd go with MSE first. IF that doesn't work out for you, THEN look at Avira. Start with the best though and go from there ;)

Billy T
09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Windows firewall appears to integrate with MSE and when I open the Windows Security Centre the status fo the firewall, AV and auto updates is shown. I've not read any reports on the effectiveness of the windows firewall, but then I've never looked for them either.

The point here is that MSE and Windows Firewall seem to play together nicely and if that is the case, all bets are covered.

In my case I'm hiding behind a NAT router as well but I guess that is only effective for drive by attacks (at least Shields UP says it is) but is no help at all if you accidentally open the door and let them in.

Now I'll go look for reviews on the Windows firewall!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
09-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Found a review here (http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/windows-icf-cant-live-it-cant-live-without-it) that was sufficiently reassuring for me to stick with the Windows version.

Might not be good enough for the hotshots who stretch the limits, but I don't swim with the sharks so I reckon my risk factor is low, despite my recent experience. In that particular situation it looks like I inadvertently opened the door and invited the nasties in.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
09-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Now I'll go look for reviews on the Windows firewall!

I havent used any separate firewall since I joined Xnet / changed to broadband a few yrs ago now. Just windows firewalls. Havent had any probs with it at all.

Most of the probs I've seen with firewalls (inc any other firewall), is if the person has installed a file sharing program.

The person has downloaded / or run something and its disabled whatever firewall.

It doesn't matter if you use the windows firewall, or any of the other firewalls (you pay for), it'll get disabled (sooner or later)

And from what I've seen on the MS forums (Windows answers site) lately, other firewalls are worse.

Most of them crash systems, more than anything else (Mcafee is one of the worst).

Kaspersky is another. Haven't seen a lot of people using Norton / Symantec's firewall tho. Or AVG. Probably because people have avoided installing both of these

QW.
14-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Does anybody know where I can download MSE?

Snorkbox
14-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Here maybe.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/security_essentials/default.aspx

Is google not working for you?

QW.
14-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks Snorkbox :thumbs:. Had tried Bing. Hopeless

QW.
14-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Is there any sort of settings that I need to setup within MSE?

Snorkbox
14-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Perhaps schedule a scan for a time when the computer is on.

Greven
14-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Some of the free ones require upgrade to pay version to scan SSL email.
I think Nod scans ssl email (??)

NOD does not scan SSL email until your email client has finished downloading it

Greven
14-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Webroot claims their proxy will catch 100% of known & unknown viruses. Do you think that is possible?

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Anope, definitely not, they're talking out their ass.

Paul.Cov
15-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I've been very happy with Avira free.

Only incident was a false positive on a Steam file (verified by finding others reporting it), and they must have corrected their signatures ASAP as the false alert has not been repeated since then.

On the other hand, I haven't tested the system for malware using any alternative AV progs, so dunno if there's other dross lurking undetected.

Paul.Cov
15-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Avira has also been good wrt Kido (aka Conficker), whereas there are other products that ignored it for long periods.

QW.
15-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I have got MSE installed and it seems to be doing a good job.