PDA

View Full Version : W7 screen changes!

stuffed
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
For some reason occasionally after a reboot my W7 Pro changes the screen resolution (think it is that). Anyway all the icons are out of place and much larger. Usually after another reboot they revert to how had them but now after several reboots they remain large and out of place!
What is going on here and any suggestions of how to fix it?
Many thanks

waldok
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi, a few things to try ...

Right-click on your desktop, choose Screen resolution, and make sure that Resolution is set to the "recommended" position. Click OK and see if that fixes the issue. You can try different settings here as well if you want.

If changing the resolution doesn't fix the issue, go to Screen resolution again (as above) but now choose the blue link to Make text and other items larger or smaller (near the bottom). Choose 100% and click Apply to see if that fixes the issue.

Let us know how you get on!

cheers
W

stuffed
02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for that set to recommended but then had to again place all my icons back where like them.
Any thoughts as to what may be causing this problem?!

wainuitech
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Once you set it to recommended, placed them where you wanted them, and rebooted, did they stay put ?

Three things generally will change the Icon positions.
1. The resolution
2. The size of the Icons - One way to alter their size, right click the desktop / View - there you will have three options - Large, medium and Small.
3. Make sure "auto Arrange" is un-selected from the above View menu in #2.

Snorkbox
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
One thing that may be considered is does the resolution change after running a game?

If so then what game?

GavRoars
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, I had a similar problem with Windows 7 Ultimate and ended up downloading and installing the Stardock Fences programme which lets you set up where you want icons easily and stopped them from moving all around the place (and changing sizes). Is very easy to use and doesn't use much system resources

waldok
02-04-2011, 08:58 PM
+1 for Stardock Fences (http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/) and it's free for personal use. I don't use it any more, because it taught me to hide my desktop icons and now I just do that permanently! (Right-click on Desktop, view, untick Show desktop items). I prefer the clean look, everything I need is on the taskbar or Start Menu.
cheers
W

sk69ersnz
04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I've had a similar problem for months now with Win 7 Home.I find if I leave just the keyboard and mouse plugged in (USB) it starts up fine,but when my external HD, game controller are plugged in the screen reverts backs to 800x600 res and icons are scattered everywhere.
When that happens there are crosses by the Display Adapters under Device Manager.

Scubadoo
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
DesktopOK (http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=DesktopOK) has worked for me in the past. A BIG 70KB download! :cool:

"DesktopOK is a handy, easy to use application specially designed to help you save and restore the position of your desktop icons and also comes as a solution for users who frequently change the screen resolution."

Portable as well.