PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 5.5 Bugs

03-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Microsoft Internet 5.5 Browser

I am a very disappointed user, obviously there is a bug this particular programme. To date I have had repeated error messages, frozen screens, frozen PC and needed to restart PC by other means on more than one occasion in more than one computer session. Since it has happened on launching Internet Explorer I get a continual error message which politely asks me to connect to Microsoft. I did that once and thought that would be the end of it. But no, each time I launch Internet Explorer it occurs again. So, I did the right thing, opened up add/remove programme control panel (Windows 98), selected repair programme function, let it restart. Problem solved, but no, still there. So I tried the reinstall option 1 hr and 40 min later reinstalled Internet Explorer 5.5. new version from Microsoft's website. Still not sorted, so I repeated repair and reinstall, not one of these options has worked. As much as I liked Internet Explorer 5.5. I have reverted to original Internet Explorer 5.0, I will sit and wait till Microsoft sorts this problem out. Will Internet Explorer 6.0 be much better or will we have the same problems

Frustrated Internet Explorer 5.5 User
Jan Robertson

03-10-2001, 07:21 PM
I don't think IE5.5 is the problem, I've been running it for about 6mths and haven't had a single problem. It's more likely something else in your computer causing these problems. What type of computer do you have, and what programs run in startup. Also when you go to device manager is there anything with exclamation marks? Tell us all you can, and someone might recognise the problem.

03-10-2001, 08:14 PM
Hello,
It seems you have tried everything, I have a had 5.5 and had no problems. I have 6.0 on now and have found it quite a smooth browser with no problems, so perhaps it would be worth your while looking at
good luck,
Bob

04-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Running Windows 98/ AMD K2 500 processor, Microsoft office 2000 Professional, Onsuite ( System Suite), Norton Internet security. System was fine uptil a week ago. no problems with INE 5.5 for at least 6 months. Checked startup area - nothing different from previous last six months that can account for it. Waiting to see how stable IE 6.0 is and will try that.

04-10-2001, 09:16 PM
My internet always freezes, crashes etc. i find it soo annoying.

08-10-2001, 04:57 PM
I had same problems so installed IE5 from an old magazine cd over the top problem was solved no more crashes i then did some up dates and have been extremely happy since will not try 6 until about a years time whrn most of the bugs will hopefully be ironed out. Opera is a fst and speedy alternative for just browsing the net.