PDA

View Full Version : Incredible what some believe...

Terry Porritt
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
"Father Gabriele Amorth said people who are possessed by Satan vomit shards of glass and pieces of iron, scream, dribble and slobber, utter blasphemies and have to be physically restrained."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8416104/Surge-in-Satanism-sparks-rise-in-demand-for-exorcists-says-Catholic-Church.html

This was in todays Dominion Post. :banana

So the next time you see anyone vomiting up glass and pieces of iron, you don't take them to hospital, but rush them to the nearest Catholic church. :clap

johcar
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
And if you see people "scream, dribble and slobber, utter blasphemies and have to be physically restrained", you're probably outside any pub after midnight....

Zippity
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Sounds like the debating chamber of Parliament here in Wellington.

Pato
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Well I agree with the word "dribble" that is exactly what it is. I have never heard such rubbish spoken in the 21st century.

tut
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
That describes most of my cutomers.

Billy T
01-04-2011, 06:27 PM
If you can believe in an invisible man whose love of all mankind and absolute omnipotence does not extend to eliminating genocide carried out in HIS name, or dropping just one Big Wednesday into my pocket as token recognition of my self-restraint in not actually taking to his more hypocritical representatives here on the planet and encouraging them to moderate their luxurious lifestyle you can believe in anything.

Making tithing a mortal sin would be a good start.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :illogical

martynz
01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
And if you see people "scream, dribble and slobber, utter blasphemies and have to be physically restrained", you're probably outside any pub after midnight....

.....or on this forum :devil

Metla
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Well I agree with the word "dribble" that is exactly what it is. I have never heard such rubbish spoken in the 21st century.

Its no more outlandish then all the other fantasy stories that christians believe and repeat endlessly.

Agent_24
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

Twelvevolts
02-04-2011, 09:16 AM
The recent episode of Supernatural where the characters end up in the real world for a day (meeting the actors who portray them) made the point that everything in the series if fictional and we don't have all these evil spirits, angels, shapeshifters and vampires etc in the real world. I know the writers are just pointing out the obvious that Supernatural is a fantasy show (and managing a making of show in the process), but I suspect that belief in these thing particularly in America is reasonably widespread.

zqwerty
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Agent_24, very good and pertinent. Billy T, straight to the point, great stuff and funny.

Scouse
02-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Don't really care ... as long as "they" don't make it compulsory.

Lurking
02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
- Epicurus [341270 B.C.]

One significant consequence of Epicurus' philosophy of mind is that death is annihilation. According to him, upon death, the container of the body shatters, and the atoms disperse in the air. The atoms are eternal, but the mind made up of these atoms is not, just as other compound bodies cease to exist when the atoms that make them up disperse.

1) Probably where the "Big Bang" theory came from or was it the "Soup Mix".

2) Greeks later transcribed the Bible !.

Lurking.

Snorkbox
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
One significant consequence of Epicurus' philosophy of mind is that death is annihilation. According to him, upon death, the container of the body shatters, and the atoms disperse in the air. The atoms are eternal, but the mind made up of these atoms is not, just as other compound bodies cease to exist when the atoms that make them up disperse.

1) Probably where the "Big Bang" theory came from or was it the "Soup Mix".

2) Greeks later transcribed the Bible !.

Lurking.

No 2

Was that greeks or geeks?

I was taught not to trust Greeks bearing gifts.

:yuck:

Cicero
02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Anybody ever watched morning TV?

There are lots of bods preaching the gospel, note the huge crowds attending them all, what can I say, apart from it is beyond me.

dugimodo
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
No one ever wins an argument about beliefs, rather pointless to try. Although occasionally my enjoyment of arguments causes me to try :)

Gobe1
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
You know over 90% of the planets humans believe in some form of deity. So that pretty much makes you lot in the minority.

Can 7 billion people be wrong?

kenj
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Shards of glass? Nothing special! My dog is shitting bricks at the moment.

Is that Satanism? Or, perhaps eating too many bones?

Ken :dogeye:

Agent_24
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
You know over 90% of the planets humans believe in some form of deity. So that pretty much makes you lot in the minority.

Yes, they certainly could.

Remember they all used to think the sun went around the earth, and that the earth was flat. (And a lot of other things that turned out to be wrong)

Cicero
03-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Is that Satanism? Or, perhaps eating too many bones?

Ken :dogeye:

Did we need to know about your dog Ken:eek:

johcar
03-04-2011, 04:33 PM

The answer to that is "Evidently, yes"

Please note that, if your statistics are correct that "over 90% of the planets humans believe in some form of deity", all these people do not believe in a particular, specific deity. There are hundreds of belief systems and even schisms within those systems (some of which violently oppose the other schism).

And many of these belief systems violently oppose the existence of all other belief systems. IIRC both the Allies and the Germans believed that God was on their side in the First and Second World Wars. Note also, in recent - and not so recent - times, the radical Muslim world trying to impose their belief system on the rest of the world.

Now if you had said that "over 90% of the planets humans believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/)" (for instance - and if that claim was provable and true, of course), those statistics might have some relevance to whether a non-believer in the existence of
an invisible man whose love of all mankind and absolute omnipotence does not extend to eliminating genocide carried out in HIS name is in a minority or not.

As it stands, those statistics only prove that "over 90% of the planets humans" have an inferiority complex and a fear of death.

Gobe1
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Good post Johcar
I think 100% of the people on this planet have a fear of death, more so those that do not believe in god as when they die it will be the end, gone burger

I guess we will all find out one day if there is a god

Funny how no one on this forum appears to believe in god and each post has pretty much fantastic debate to the contrary

Agent_24
03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Well if dying is the end, nothing more, that seems at lot less scary that the possibility of ending up in Hell for all eternity, as some seem to think.

I don't believe in God, or Hell, so I do not believe I will end up there and am thus unafraid of that idea.

At this point I'd still rather not die though.

Cicero
03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Well if dying is the end, nothing more, that seems at lot less scary that the possibility of ending up in Hell for all eternity, as some seem to think.

I don't believe in God, or Hell, so I do not believe I will end up there and am thus unafraid of that idea.

Everybody wants to die later, so you are not alone.

Gobe1
03-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Well i have met some who believe in god but not hell....What:eek: are you serious...:rolleyes:

I think one would go with the other

Either way dying is gonna suck...but this place aint so great either

Agent_24
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
For some, cause of death is probably going to suck more than death itself...

That sounds worse when written down....

Cicero
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Death seems to include a lot of sucking.

tuiruru
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I

Making tithing a mortal sin would be a good start.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :illogical

I totally agree with you Billy that people should eschew the concept of tithing (some good debates here) (http://www.tithingdebate.com/). :thumbs::thumbs: I just wonder whether you can use the term "mortal sin" without subscribing to that particular flavour of belief system ;)

tuiruru
03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I was just wondering - how do you all feel about Pantheism (http://www.pantheism.net/)?

Metla
03-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Some people need the crutch that is religion, The fantasy is easier on their feeble minds then accepting what we know and that there is much that we don't know, rather then just making crap up and believing it, worshiping it.

More power to them and their delusions, But it would be fantastic if they didn't try and convert others to their dribble.

The weak and the stupid will find it themselves sooner or later, and the rest of us can see it for what it is.

WalOne
03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I was just wondering - how do you all feel about Pantheism (http://www.pantheism.net/)?

Which leads us into what do you feel, and why?

Me? I could be labeled a Christian existentialist (basically existence precedes essence) and a Deist.

These philosophies are compatible. Neither advocates a personal God that intervenes no matter how deserving or compelling the request for interceding exists. Such an entity does not exist (just ask all the people who pledged their souls this last weekend if only they won Lotto).

I don't join the charade each Sunday of people of the Christian faith who pay homage to transubstantiation, and I have no wish to. All that crap was an invention of the early church to give authority (the Apostolic succession) to its ranking clergy, and to give the punters an alternative (in their minds) to paganism. I have no doubt this type of debacle was furthest from the mind of JC.

May the force (or farce, your choice) be with you.

:devil

@ Gobe1 you challenged "Funny how no one on this forum appears to believe in god and each post has pretty much fantastic debate to the contrary"

This to the contrary :devil

Billy T
03-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Hell yes! As I pointed out in a recent post, and I quote:

"Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities. Those numbers are probably a very conservative estimate because we have no accurate information before 4000 B.C. This means any deities worshipped by man before this period are unaccounted for.

In truth, the possibilities are nearly infinite. For example, in Hindu the entire living universe is merely a unique manifestation of Ishvara. This leads to the fact that there are 330 million gods or goddesses."

That makes all of us Gods or deities of some description, but doesn't seem to leave a lot of wriggle-room for Satanists, Heathens, Directors of Finance Companies, or Property Developers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

R2x1
03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Death seems to include a lot of sucking.
Yeah, man was not meant to live in a vacuum.

Gobe1
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, man was not meant to live in a vacuum.

:dogeye: or :stare: or :eek: goes the eyes first

leonidas5
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Shakespeare got it right when he gave Iago the line:
I am what I am

Not a lot else to say really, but the religious fraternities of all kinds have spent 3000 years trying to!

Cicero
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=leonidas5;1006851]Shakespeare got it right when he gave Iago the line:
I am what I am

Some would find that inconclusive, so no answer there me thinks!

R2x1
04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
In the age of NCEA, that has been revised to "I is what I is".

Cicero
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
In the age of NCEA, that has been revised to "I is what I is".

You have got it right this time K9

mikebartnz
04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Been eating the grandkids leggo again.:D