PDA

View Full Version : Modems and Linux, questions :)

03-10-2001, 06:16 PM
Hey, I found out why my modem wasn't working - it's a Rockwell HCF, which currently (and apparently not until the end of the year) doesn't have any Linux support.
One of the other computers has a Lucent Winmodem, which I could swap with, and according to the winmodem HOWTO, it has plenty of driver support, but I was wondering if any of you would have any recommendations..

Thanks alot,
hoping to be able to beg for help from Linux soon,
Jonathan Giles :)

03-10-2001, 06:42 PM
Winmodems are notoriously slow unless you have a decent powered system, dumping most of the processing on the CPU.
By nature of their design, these software-based modems steal processor time, and can be dependent on factors like the computer's bus speed, memory, and processor cache.
Since there are fewer chips and components, software-based modems reduce the retail cost.

I would suggest using a hardware-based modem, this has an onboard chip to handle processing. This makes them much faster and processing data on slower systems.

The best option all depends on your budget and the type of processor you have available.

03-10-2001, 07:43 PM
You can get docs and RPMs here:

http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

It isn't an ideal solution but it should work.

04-10-2001, 03:07 PM
Most external modems will work with Linux except Swann.
Even if Linux doesn't detect your modem you can 'steer' Linux to it by mounting or telling your dialup program where your modem is (Com1 = stty0).
If you are connected to CLear they have a How-to for Linux.
Also Dynalink have a code to insert into Linux for use with their external modems on their website.
Any Linux OS using the latest kernel should be able to untilise any external modem.
External modems have the advantage of you be able to see what is coming in and going out of your computer firewall or not. It also frees up a PCI slot and reduces case heat.