PDA

View Full Version : Good brand NiMH AAA rechargeable batteries?

braindead
31-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi all

TradeMe is full of various brands, some with exorbitant freight prices, and it's hard to tell the rubbish from the good NiMH batteries.

Would be great to have your take on brands to go for.

Thanks and appreciation!

wratterus
31-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Sony or Energizer.

Erayd
31-03-2011, 04:30 PM
My experience with Energizer ones is that they seem to have a very high rate of self-discharge (or at least the ones I've had did - this is about 20AA and 8AAA over the last 4 years or so).

Whether that makes any difference to you depends on the intended use.

wratterus
31-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Erayd, have you found any AAA, AA or 9v rechargeable batteries that haven't had a high rate of self discharge? My experience has been that for low current draw applications, such as wireless mice and TV remotes non rechargeable batteries are still the way to go, the rechargeables just don't last anywhere near as long. However for cameras, torches, guitar pedals and the like, go for rechargeables all the way.

Erayd
31-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Erayd, have you found any AAA, AA or 9v rechargeable batteries that haven't had a high rate of self discharge?I've heard that Eneloop & Sanyo ones are very good in this area, but unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to try them - I ended up deciding that the few gadgets that needed a long battery life (namely my mouse & keyboard) could eat lithium batteries instead, and the Energizers could be left to power such things as cameras and torches.

wratterus
31-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Just looking at their their claims about the batteries are pretty impressive. Might have to try some next time I need new rechargeables.

http://sanyo.com/eneloop/

http://sanyo.com/eneloop/pdf/eneloop_handbook.pdf

Agent_24
31-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I have some cheap 'Maxuss' brand NiMH which I bought from Trademe, they have been fine so far.

pctek
31-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't care about brand I look at the amps.

Agent_24
31-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Mine claim 2800mAh

Nomad
31-03-2011, 06:40 PM
i don't use them for remotes but had good exp with gp, energizers and dse.

over the yrs and maybe still now on the internet, they quite like sanyo industrials (ones without packaging), these were the non-enloops back some yrs. so i imported 16 of them, they tend to discharge by themselve on the shelf within a week..... not sure if i got a bad seller and or a bad sample. but if you have a advanced battery charger it discharge them and charge them up right ... it does have a 2800mah (verified by the charger).

imo, buy locally, get 2 to try out first.

SKT174
31-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Sanyo Eneloop

Winston001
01-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Interesting. There was a thread about a year ago recommending Eneloops but they weren't available in NZ then. Looks like they are now: http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d94c03000248c842741c0a87f3b06f1/Product/View/S4412

Lawrence
01-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Had Sanyo Eneloops for over 2 years,2 spare ones in camera case last charged about 6 months ago still fully charged

There are now several other makes that offer the same technology one being Sony Cycle Energy's

Have 2 sets of other Rechargeable's,one set is going to be replaced with either Eneloops or Cycle Energy's

PCT Joe
01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Remember with Ni-CAD and Ni-MH batteries that if you don't properly charge them and cause a 'memory error' which reduces the charge it can hold; All you need to do is rapt them up in a plastic bag(preferably airtight) and put them in the freezer to 'reset' this.

Just my 5c

utopian201
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Remember with Ni-CAD and Ni-MH batteries that if you don't properly charge them and cause a 'memory error' which reduces the charge it can hold; All you need to do is rapt them up in a plastic bag(preferably airtight) and put them in the freezer to 'reset' this.

Just my 5c

I'm pretty sure NiMH don't have the memory effect.

It depends on your usage; high mah rated batteries (2400+) tend to discharge quickly, but are useful if you need high capacity; just charge them up the night before you need to use them the next day taking pictures at an event

LSD batteries typically have lower ratings (1800-2000mah) but don't lose their charge once charged.

I currently use powerex imedions, purchased overseas. No problems so far.
Sanyo eneloops are also good, Sony rebrand them as cycle energy I think.

Nomad
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
NiMH does have a memory issue but not practically .... you should get a good life out of them ....

If you have a good charger you can always use the discharge func.

OTOH lithium does not afaik. Thou they are pricey and unique to each device (the rechargies). They last a long long time. My first dSLR I could take 500 shots in a week in Japan until it needed a charge. Back then I mistakedly thought you had to run the battery flat.

Agent_24
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
The charge on lithium-based batteries might last but the batteries themselves are only good for 3 years or so from date of manufacture - which means if they sat on a shelf that long before you bought them they aren't going to be very good.

Cicero
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Interesting. There was a thread about a year ago recommending Eneloops but they weren't available in NZ then. Looks like they are now: http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d94c03000248c842741c0a87f3b06f1/Product/View/S4412

Are they similar to these?

http://goo.gl/shyEQ

wratterus
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
One and the same Cic.

Erayd
01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
The charge on lithium-based batteries might last but the batteries themselves are only good for 3 years or so from date of manufacture - which means if they sat on a shelf that long before you bought them they aren't going to be very good.Not quite... I suspect you're confusing lithium primary cells with lithium-ion or lithium-polymer rechargeables.

Lithium primaries don't leak and will easily achieve a shelf-life of over a decade.

If you're talking about rechargeables, which I suspect you are, the lifetime of a cell depends very much on how it is treated. While it is fairly easy to kill one completely within three years, they will last substantially longer than this if properly treated and maintained.

dugimodo
01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
The amps can be about as reliable as cheap psu ratings, I tend to buy my batteries from Jaycar as they claim to test them themselves before accepting the ratings.

I have Energiser, Dick Smith, and Jaycar branded NiMH AA and AAA batteries and they all work well. The energisers actually started to give me problems in my smart charger first (I've owned all for several years now) and the DSE ones are a little bit "fat" and don't fit in everything.

It seems the chinese manufacturers used by various cheap brands will happily label them with whatever rating you like regardless of the actualperformance.

wratterus
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Turns out PB do Eneloop. I have a charger and a bunch of AAs on the way. :thumbs:

Dick Smith have good prices on them too.

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

That chap has done a pretty good test of them.

braindead
04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Huge thanks to everyone for your info and tips. I always learn something on this forum - hadn't heard of Eneloop. Good stuff!

05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
The 2500man - 2800mAh tend to have high internal resistance & high self discharge.
They work , just arnt that good. Avoid.

Go for approx 2100 LSD NimH, lower internal resitance & lower self discharge.
That means that they can sit around for quite a while without going flat
eg, Eneloop, Ready To Use etc etc
Panasonic & Varta also make good LSD batts, Eneloop was one of the 1st

Most important, the LSD dont like high charge rates, use say approx 300-600 mAh to charge them.
Most importantly, Get a good charger, Not a trickle or overnight charger.

Agent_24
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
What's wrong with trickle? (not that that's what I do)

utopian201
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Most important, the LSD dont like high charge rates, use say approx 300-600 mAh to charge them.
Most importantly, Get a good charger, Not a trickle or overnight charger.

If you charge at 300ma, it will take several hours anyway; ie overnight.

I have a maha charger with a fast (1000ma for AA, 500ma for AAA) and a slow (300ma for AA, 200ma for AAA) switch. The slow charging takes at least 5 hours, but it stops the battery from getting warm. Once the battery is charged, it goes to trickle charge at 50ma.

What is wrong with trickle charging, I would like to know as well? As long as the charger doesn't over charge, I think its fine.

05-04-2011, 01:26 PM
The maha isnt what I'd call a trickle charger :punk

Overcharging, overdischarging & heat kills Nimh's
With trickle you run the risk of overcharging( as with my 1st charger )
The cut off point for charging is determined by dv (a drop in voltage indicates full charge)
This cuttoff point cannot be accurately determined on trickle charge
-I dont trust so called temp cutout either, I had batts (duds ??) get so hot as to burn my fingers . The noise should have been a warning :-)

SOME LSD's dont seem to like the higher charge current that normal Nimh's can take.
Thats why you use lower charge current for LSD's, ie dont charge at 1c
It certainly doesnt take all night to charge at lower rates, even thou the math doesnt seem to add up.

Its all here. (except info on LSD's, unless its been updated)
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_based_batteries#nimh

braindead
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone happen to know where I can purchase a Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger in NZ? They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

utopian201
07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
You can get it from ecobatteries.co.nz

I got my maha charger from photonlight.com

braindead
07-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks very much utopian201! Much appreciated. Now that you have your MH-C9000 and have used it for a bit, are you satisfied with your purchase? It's $112.00 at ecobatteries...IOW, is it worth it?

utopian201
08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I have the C401FS, not the MH-C9000.
Can't remember how much I paid for mine, but I bought it purely because it has an independent charging circuit for each battery and it has a slow gentle charge option.

08-04-2011, 01:23 PM
http://ecobatteries.co.nz/mahac9000.html

Id like one of these as well braindead, its just hard for me to justify the price.
That money would buy me 120 alkaline batts , a few years worth. :punk
Still , it would be great for comparing batts actual usuable capacity.rather than the made up imaginary capacity on the cheaper batts . :banana
Ive got a RadioControl charger that does everything the maha 9000 does, only one batt at a time though - a bit of a pain.

braindead
14-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I took the plunge and invested in the MH-C9000 charger. It stands head and shoulders above anything else I've ever used to charge NiMH. I love the white LCD data screen - if only all small LCDs were that clear!

Since purchasing the charger, I've come across Yuasa EniTime Plus NiMH 2500mAH batteries. They're similarly priced to the Eneloop brand and are easily available, with good specs.

With time, the slow-discharge battery brands should come down. They're still a bit pricey at around $30 for 4.

razzarphenix
14-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Just looking at their their claims about the batteries are pretty impressive. Might have to try some next time I need new rechargeables.

http://sanyo.com/eneloop/

http://sanyo.com/eneloop/pdf/eneloop_handbook.pdf

Good batteries, they hold their charge and actually live up to their mah.

braindead
15-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for those links razzarphenix!