PDA

View Full Version : Tradesman rates etc

tut
30-03-2011, 03:56 AM
Just curious now I am a retiree but what is the going rate for tradesmen these days? Was thinking of electricians. I know it varies a lot but if some one has any recent experience I would be interested to hear of this.
Also, what have you been charged for mileage (Per Km)

pctek
30-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Don't know about electricians but husband charges $45 an hour and no mileage.

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2011, 06:05 AM
http://www.ird.govt.nz/business-income-tax/expenses/mileage-rates/

May be of use to you to give you a rough idea. Meant when I drove to Hamilton as part of my job where I'm usually soley based in a single site in Auckland, I was able to claim back, and that was the rate that my work wanted me to use.

Being self-employed is a different scenario, and again working for a small company they may simply pay your hourly wage while you drive, and provide you with a work vehicle + fuel card.

tut
30-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Don't know about electricians but husband charges $45 an hour and no mileage.

What trade is your husband in pctek. That is a figure I thought would be realistic in this day and age. I have heard of figures as high as $90/hr.

I am continually getting asked to do smaller jobs for people. I am tempted but dont want to be a rip off merchant and then again dont want to undercut trademen trying to make a real living.

chilling_silence, the web page short cut you sent me mentions 70c a Km. That too would be realistic with the cost of gas and maintenance these days.
I think too that lots of trades peple are doing deals to get some work at least.
Cash deals have become rife since GST went to 15% and the recession hit.
I read many years ago that when GST went above 10% a lot of work went underground.

Nomad
30-03-2011, 07:33 AM
yeah it depends, we have seen gas fitters or plumbers varying rates of $60-90. depends who you ask i guess. (for the same trade).

as with the GST thingy. they tend to do it outside their work hours i think those that work for a company. they skip GST and maybe knock off 10% as well .....

no mileage.

Cicero
30-03-2011, 07:37 AM
What trade is your husband in pctek. That is a figure I thought would be realistic in this day and age. I have heard of figures as high as $90/hr.

Iunderground.

Plumber.

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2011, 08:50 AM
I used to do $80+GST coz it was easy to remember it was $90 inclusive, and it was a relatively fair price (Though I was constantly being told by clients I was selling myself short and it was too cheap).
I got outta the game before GST went up, so dunno about now, but to be honest I'd probably opt for more if I knew customers would pay and be happy. Like you say though, if you come in and do it off the bare bones of your ass for $30 an hour, you ain't even gonna break even by the time you've paid your Cellphone bill, gas, maintenance, taken time to fill in GST / Tax returns, equipment, stationery etc...

prefect
30-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I charge $75/hr plus gestapo, they get a bargain!. Thats on invoiced jobs say no more.

pctek
30-03-2011, 11:39 AM
What trade is your husband in pctek. That is a figure I thought would be realistic in this day and age. .

Depends on your expenses I suppose. Not GST registered now.

And there's only him, home/office, sole trader.

And anyway, normally he does things on a flat fee rather than by hour. Like PC work, there's times when you are standing around waiting for something before you can proceed - like draining hot water tanks.

30-03-2011, 11:58 AM
....and again working for a small company they may simply pay your hourly wage while you drive, and provide you with a work vehicle + fuel card.

I wish.
I supply my own car(for company use) & phone, claim back mileage & cell phone charges. Big issue if the car is off the road for repairs (its old)
I do get a car park in the CBD so thats appreciated. :clap
Previous company wanted run their Ak branch off my Visa card (I refused) :banana