PDA

View Full Version : MS Volume licensing

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi, when i started here working we had about 30 staff (i think it was 25ish)
The previous IT guy was right in to his open source support and i have inherited that. Now we have 70+ and they want about 120 in two years....:eek:
Problem is: i have been buying new versions of office for each pc as new people start or old pcs die and are replaced so we have a mixture of 2003 up to 2010 office and the compatibility is a nightmare.
So does any one have a MS volume license and what is involved in getting one and i have heard you need a MCP onsite to get one (is that true?)

I still have about 14x 2003, and 17x 2007's that would need to be replaced to get everyone on the same page, but i can see in 2012 there will be another version and it will all start over again
And i would then be able to have everyone on win7?? i believe (not that xp was a problem or still is, it is actually better for stability here)
TIA
Gobe

inphinity
29-03-2011, 02:42 PM
You can just buy the licenses through any MS licensing reseller / distributor. There are minimums (5 or 10 licenses for most products), but not really any other requirements. You don't need an MCP on site or anything silly like that.

wainuitech
29-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Ditto to what inphinity posted :thumbs:

I purchase Volume Via ingramMicro (http://nz.ingrammicro.com/) - I simply call them, they email out the order form, once its filled out, generally the company name address etc, for the people wanting them, the amount required, in bundles of 5, and they are then available the next day. Then you pay your $$.

If you already have licenses, they can just add to them.

Hope this makes sense:

Just a bit of a heads up -- The ones I get have a two year addon expiry date - meaning if you want to add to existing ones, you have to get them within two years from the original purchase, the licenses them selves dont expire though.

Several places I deal with get charity/Volume (MS actually check that they are a licensed charity first) - say they have a 5 user licence, but only use 3, you have to add in two "place holders" to make the 5 - the remaining two licenses have to be purchased within two years if they want to add more other wise they have to buy a new batch of 5.

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Makes sense sort of. I dont really want to buy office for a pc that may crap out in twelve months because it is getting on because they are 400 bucks a pop, but if it is cheaper to do a licensing deal, then it may be worthwhile. I already have 35x 2010's so to up grade the rest of the office to 2010 will cost 12G's retail price.
I will talk to our PC supplier

Cheers

inphinity
29-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Talk to your supplier. You should be able to arrange the licensing such that PCs dying is irrelevant - you are licensed for a given number of total seats, so if a PC dies, you replace the PC and move the license to the new PC. Also saves you the cost of buying software when you buy the PC.

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Talk to your supplier. You should be able to arrange the licensing such that PCs dying is irrelevant - you are licensed for a given number of total seats, so if a PC dies, you replace the PC and move the license to the new PC. Also saves you the cost of buying software when you buy the PC.

thats what i would like, so when a new version comes out you are elligible to upgrade for free?

EDIT: not that everyone wants 2010, most hate it with a vengence LOL

wainuitech
29-03-2011, 03:23 PM
You would be silly to get retail :eek:

Volume is a lot cheaper.

when a new version comes out you are elligible to upgrade for free? Generally no - BUT it depends on what you get - if you have Software Assurance added in then Yeah.

inphinity
29-03-2011, 03:24 PM
If you add Software Assurance (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/default.aspx) to your licensing, you are eligible to upgrade to new versions of products.

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 03:38 PM
aaaahhh like annual maintenance on autocad
cheers

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 04:00 PM
just got some numbers back from our local pc shop

All prices are per licence, ex gst, office standard

Open Business 2 Year Plan

$1090 :lol:

Renewal = $400/year after those 2 years

Expensive if adding licences towards the end of the term, as you pay for the full 2 year term.

Open Value 3 Year Plan

$430/year for each of the three years

$200/year renewals

You can upgrade on this plan to Office Pro Plus if needed

They recommended the Open Value as the “best” plan

Retail 2010 Home and Bus =$375+gst

So it would take a few years to break even even, dont think this includes software assurance (i would bet my left nut it doesnt)

pctek
29-03-2011, 04:20 PM
The previous IT guy was right in to his open source support

Now you know why? Does it have to be MS Office or would Open Office do for at least some of them?

Renegade
29-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Now you know why? Does it have to be MS Office or would Open Office do for at least some of them?

Sometimes it's like bashing your head against a brick wall to get people to change. I've Installed OO for some of my clients, yet people still come to me with "can I have Office 2007 or 2010 installed on my computer"... geez, all they do is type letters or memos, they could use Wordpad for that :lol:

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2011, 06:15 PM
If the previous guy was right into his open-source, why not keep going that route ?

Gobe1
29-03-2011, 06:21 PM
If the previous guy was right into his open-source, why not keep going that route ?

We had too many clients complaining compatibility problems trying to open documents etc, ironic huh. :groan:

EDIT: 100% renegade, also a lot of staff "i hate firefox.... no reason why they 'just do" you all would have come across these types. i dont like your email (zimbra) i need outlook...its what im used to. open office looks yuck, shall i go on....

EDIT: #2 and then you get the ones on the other end of the scale that hate MS and outlook with a passion, it is quite an amusing industry sometimes :)

Alex B
29-03-2011, 07:41 PM
MS = Corporate Standard. You would never get us to change. Mostly be cause we have custom macros/buttons for our self, fully integrated with our DMS etc.

inphinity
29-03-2011, 08:35 PM
All prices are per licence, ex gst, office standard
$1090 :lol:

Renewal = $400/year after those 2 years

Retail 2010 Home and Bus =$375+gst

That sounds expensive, and being a renewal I am guessing does include software assurance, though I may be wrong. It may be purely to do with quantities, or I may have gotten some figures mixed up, but I'm sure we were getting Office 2010 Pro Plus for about $650ish.

It's quite probable there just isn't a volume license for the home business edition.

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2011, 08:53 PM
MS = Corporate Standard. You would never get us to change. Mostly be cause we have custom macros/buttons for our self, fully integrated with our DMS etc.

Potentially, but if you work from the ground up, it's entirely possible to do away with it. It's harder to come in and just "switch". I know businesses using Lotus Notes, Open Office, Chromium / Firefox, and a variety of linux desktop distro's. It's fully doable.

Our policy at work is: It's our policy, you don't get a say in the matter. Don't like Software X? We quite likely dislike using it too, but it's what's been decided is best for the business, so deal with it.

waldok
29-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Gobe1, you could also look into the newer Microsoft Online options.

- Windows Intune (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/windows/windowsintune/pc-management.aspx) (PC management and Windows Upgrade), free trial available now.
- Office 365 (Office Pro, Exchange Online email server, SharePoint Online intranet, etc), available later this year. There is a previous version called BPOS available now but the option to have it with Office Pro included will come with Office 365.

These are all per-user per-month. There could already be people on this forum who can help you set it all up and manage it if you don't want to do it yourself.

cheers
W

wainuitech
29-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Must apologize Gobe1 :blush:

In post 7 I put Volume is a lot cheaper. While it is cheaper in the long run, I was actually thinking more along the lines which I have done a fair amount of work with, the charity/Volume.

MicroSoft are VERY much into charity pricing where its available.

The discounts if you are a registered charity are huge (thats a FACT) For Office - esp the Office Professional Standard and Office Professional Plus, which BTW are the only ones avilable in Volume ( Home and Business edition is not included)heres what each product has (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/office-2010-volume-licensing-suites-comparison-FX101825637.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA101809925)

Edited: The Office 365 that Waldok advised of may be the cheaper option as well.

Gobe1
30-03-2011, 08:31 AM
HI all , i just found out it does include upgrades, (there goes my left nut owww)
Thanks for the inputs, much appreciated.
I will check out that office 365 and intune

fred_fish
30-03-2011, 11:20 AM
...there goes my left nut...

The Police will be around to collect it presently :waughh:

30-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Last time I priced this up, Full retail was the cheaper option (than licensing)
Plus , with retail , you can move it from one (dead/retired) PC to another.

Just to complicate things, the versions are different.
ie Publisher not included in Retail Std (Pro has everything of course)

Also look at how old some of the PC's are.
Will they run Office 2010 efficiently ??
You will need to do some staff training after installing office 2010, although this staff training allmost never happens in the real world. :cool:

With volume/open licensing
You also agree to be subject to Audits of your PC's by MS to ensure you have the correct number of licenses

Added bonus with Software Assurance
-gives you 24/7 help desk support for pre-designated users
-rights to product updates over the agreed timeframe,
-Access to the Home Use Program, where staff can Purchase Office for their home PC's at a highly discounted rate

SolMiester
30-03-2011, 11:55 AM
If you add Software Assurance (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/default.aspx) to your licensing, you are eligible to upgrade to new versions of products.

Ahh, was waiting for someone to say that, volume licence is for a product version not product type....software assurance is required for the upgrades and for the OP to get all his versions the same!