PDA

View Full Version : Strange happening with FF4

mzee
28-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I already had Firefox 4 Beta on my Desk Top, with no problems, so when it was released I installed it on my Laptop in a new folder, keeping the FF 3.6.15 which worked well. When I tested the new FF4 it would not display 'png' graphics, the 3.6.15 was the same having been corrupted by FF4. Opera, IE9 and Chrome were normal.

As the FF4 is Ok on the desktop, I surmise that the two versions are allergic to each other. Both computers are running W7 Pro.

wainuitech
28-03-2011, 02:41 PM
FF4 has a lot of problems, mines still crashing on the occasional site, completely random. Other browsers work fine. Had several customers call up complaining its causing crashes since installing, and multiple other problems on various sites. Got a few service calls to remove the rubbish and put back the older version.

My FF4 was upgraded (or should that be downgraded) :rolleyes:from 3.6. something.

pctek
28-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I have Firefox 4, it displays .png just fine.

I can't see any googles about FF4 not showing them.

mikebartnz
28-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Favicon Picker can cause problems and should be uninstalled. Addons are often the cause of problems and not FF itself so if you are having problems disable them one by one until you find the one causing the problem.

GMQ
29-03-2011, 06:03 AM
I too have Firefox 4 so far so good everything working well,I don't know how many plugins most people use I have (10) and the only one that's not compatible is google gears which I can live with.....:banana

Jayess64
31-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Have been running FF4 for the last week, and have just gone back to 3.6.16

I could get used to the new layout, but the weird behaviour made me ditch it. Hard to describe - pages not found, then loaded on retry; some pages don't load at all, but OK on my laptop with 3.6.

Just now I found a trashed Google homepage. Managed to get it mostly back by going into the Google settings page, but why all this hassle?

Maybe 4.1 will be better.

wainuitech
31-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Have been running FF4 for the last week, and have just gone back to 3.6.16

IMaybe 4.1 will be better. To Quote Scotty from a Start Trek movie - "the more complex you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". "

Quite simply put, they try to make FF4 faster, better, and end up making it unstable for quite a few, and easy to break.

You'd be surprised how many people have called me this week asking whats wrong with FireFox since they went to 4 ??

mikebartnz
31-03-2011, 08:53 PM
To Quote Scotty from a Start Trek movie - "the more complex you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". "

Quite simply put, they try to make FF4 faster, better, and end up making it unstable for quite a few, and easy to break.

You'd be surprised how many people have called me this week asking whats wrong with FireFox since they went to 4 ??
and it amazes me how many times it is an addon that is causing the trouble. A lot of people are too quick to condemn FF without even testing to see if it is an addon causing the trouble.
With three different instances of FF4 I have not had any trouble nor with the one beta.

wainuitech
31-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Well one in a workshop PC has NO add-ons at all and gives more trouble than any other browser I have ever used. Lockups, pages not loading correctly, generally slower than 3.6 -- so cant go blaming add-ons in that one, and 3.6 was working nice and smooth.

Several customers are the same, no add-ons, just stock standard as it comes.

Jayess64
31-03-2011, 10:17 PM
and it amazes me how many times it is an addon that is causing the trouble. A lot of people are too quick to condemn FF without even testing to see if it is an addon causing the trouble.
With three different instances of FF4 I have not had any trouble nor with the one beta.

There may be some truth in this, but one of the features touted for Firefox is the large choice of add-ons available for it. However, if Mozilla don't exercise adequate quality control for third party add-ons (think Apple) they end up shooting themselves in their collective foot, since, from the user's point of view, it is the browser that breaks, regardless of the cause.

pctek
01-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Not just add-ons, but profiles too. Clean it out start fresh and then see what happens.

mzee
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
In my case the problem was that some 'png' graphics, those in layers, were not being displayed. I removed 'Add Blocker' and everything was normal.
I can't see any improvements in 4. Maybe 3.6.16 is the peak of Firefox.

I see this with a lot of software, they improve it then run out of ideas and resort to gimmicks resulting in bloat. Remember the days when 8mb of Ram was enough? I had a Word Processor called 'Busy Bee' which ran on a Commodore 64. It had a spell check, & encryption. I use a Word Processor called 'Word Express' on W7. This program came on one floppy about 20 years ago for Windows 3.11 then 32bit for Windows 95. It does tables, layers etc and unlike 'Word for Windows' you can move anything anywhere just like publisher.

Snorkbox
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
@mzee.

I know what you mean. Sometimes a step forward is a step backward.

Office 2007 came with Publisher and you can create a web site using that. Office 2010 came with Publisher and you can't create a web site with that. You can edit a site but you can't make one.

Yes, I do know that not all versions of Office come with Publisher!

mzee
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
The plot thickens!
Add-block 1.2.1 was Ok but 1.3.5 was not.
A couple of graphics had the word 'advert' in the title. These were being blocked by Add-block 1.3.5
They moved the goal posts.

mikebartnz
01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Office 2007 came with Publisher and you can create a web site using that.
Any MS program that created web sites used to create so much bloated crap that they were totally frowned on.

Snorkbox
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Any MS program that created web sites used to create so much bloated crap that they were totally frowned on.

Lots of people frown on MS products.

People frown on Holdens or Fords or AMD or Intel or and etc..........

mikebartnz
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Lots of people frown on MS products.

People frown on Holdens or Fords or AMD or Intel or and etc..........
:confused:

Agent_24
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Funny as my Firefox 4 works just fine

Snorkbox
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I have no difficulty with Firefox 4 at all.

Probably as I have not installed it.

notechyet
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I have no difficulty with Firefox 4 at all.
Probably as I have not installed it.
I thought to give ff4 a try. Not much different to the last versions of 3.x.
Have been out tonight and came back to see ff using 266mb of memory. with 3 tabs open and 3-4 addons like delicious and ablock and stylish.
This is just to add to another post that talked about progress. Soon need a bigger " machine" to surf the net.:(

Snorkbox
01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I do have FF 3 installed only to check some web sites. One of the reasons I have a dual boot XP and Win7. Mostly I use Win7 but it's useful to have XP lying about at times.

Agent_24
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
On one of my slower machines I refuse to watch Youtube, because the stupid flash video player wastes almost all the CPU time

It's much better to download the videos and play them in VLC and only get 15-20% CPU usage.

GameJunkie
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
when ever i download a file(in FF4) the dialogue box very quickly appears then dissappears.

in FF3 it never did this, anyone else have this issue???

only happens on my laptop running W7, the desktop vista home premium and FF4 does not do this

Agent_24
01-04-2011, 11:25 PM
It's probably a feature you can turn on and off

GameJunkie
01-04-2011, 11:34 PM
tried unenabling it, restart FF then enabling it but it still dissappears quickly

bob_doe_nz
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Add-block 1.2.1 was Ok but 1.3.5 was not.
A couple of graphics had the word 'advert' in the title. These were being blocked by Add-block 1.3.5

I'm using 1.3.5 of AdblockPlus and it's fine in FF4. There was one instance where ABP didn't block ads and stuff in V3. I uninstalled the add on and then reinstalled it after restarting FFox.

I should add that I've just upgraded over previous versions (No clean installs) and it's been fine for me.

Neil McC
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Since I installed FF4 last week the monitor has been going off and back on with this message.
"Nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
I haven't installed the latest drivers yet,but is it likely to be FF doing it?

Agent_24
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
No idea, but Firefox 4 does say you should have the latest drivers, I would update and see what happens.

Sounds logical that it's Firefox doing it if it only happened since you installed it

mikebartnz
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Since I installed FF4 last week the monitor has been going off and back on with this message.
"Nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
I haven't installed the latest drivers yet,but is it likely to be FF doing it?
As FF4 has hardware acceleration you will need the latest drivers.

mikebartnz
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
On one of my slower machines I refuse to watch Youtube, because the stupid flash video player wastes almost all the CPU time

It's much better to download the videos and play them in VLC and only get 15-20% CPU usage.
Quite agree. I find Flash APITA

Agent_24
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
It's amazing how recent resource-hogging websites etc can make an otherwise perfectly fine computer almost unusable.

This computer in question can even run Entropia (built on Cryengine 2), albeit at lowest quality - but even then it doesn't run as badly as youtube.

Neil McC
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
As FF4 has hardware acceleration you will need the latest drivers.

OK, thanks for that. But I hate doing the graphics driver updates!!

wainuitech
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Its called "progress" :rolleyes: ;)

limepile
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
FF4 lasted about 15 minutes on my machine, hated it.
I'm used to the addons, thats part of the point of FF, but most of mine failed..and the new look isn't for me.
Love 3.6.6 and will keep it.
My 2c

mikebartnz
02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
FF4 lasted about 15 minutes on my machine, hated it.
I'm used to the addons, thats part of the point of FF, but most of mine failed..and the new look isn't for me.
Love 3.6.6 and will keep it.
My 2c
The addons will upgrade in time. You can make it look just like FF3