PDA

View Full Version : faulty CPU

FAB
28-03-2011, 12:03 PM
HI all
Got a friend's PC here, no video input message on monitor.

Have replaced MB with a known good one, have replaced ram with known good ram, have replaced PS with known good PS (out of desperation!).

Have tried another monitor. Still no video out.

The new MB has built-in graphics, am tempted to try a PCI-E video card (will have to find one) but am I going down teh wrong track? I am leaning towards faulty CPU now, but can't find another AMD similar one to test out in it.

Suggestions gratefully appreciated!
Cheers

wainuitech
28-03-2011, 12:13 PM
CPU's can fail - if you have changed every main component for Known good working ones, and the only thing left is the original CPU, then its more than likely the problem.

If you dont have a good CPU to use then it may be tough out of luck, unless you take it to a Computer repairer or a friend who has one, and get them to test the original, or put in a good one in the original board.

Not much you can do if you dont have one - Kind of Need a CPU ;)

FAB
28-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I know..was hopeful! So is the owner. Not something I have lying about, exactly the right CPU. Will see what I can do.

dugimodo
28-03-2011, 02:23 PM
silly question but sometimes it pays to ask...

Does the monitor work on another PC? and is it switched to the right input ?

Otherwise it does seem like you need a CPU to test.

edit
Doh! I see you tried another monitor,must learn to read

pctek
28-03-2011, 03:50 PM
CPU would be the last thing I'd test.

1)Monitor
2)GPU - the first motherboard was using a separate graphics card?? I'd have tested the card.
3)Motherboard last.

wainuitech
28-03-2011, 05:27 PM
CPU would be the last thing I'd test.

1)Monitor
2)GPU - the first motherboard was using a separate graphics card?? I'd have tested the card.
3)Motherboard last.
Someone didn't read the post eh :p

Have replaced MB with a known good one, have replaced ram with known good ram, have replaced PS with known good PS (out of desperation!).

Have tried another monitor. Still no video out.
With onboard graphics, the only thing left is the CPU - nothing else is required to get a POST/Bios, display on screen. Dont even need a KB & mouse ;)

CYaBro
28-03-2011, 06:08 PM
You don't get them often but CPUs do die.
I've had a couple of AMD Athlon dual cores die in the last few months.
Sounds like that's what it could be.

Have you tried removing everything from the case and just setting it up on the bench?
It could be shorting out on the case somewhere.
You could also first try unplugging the front panel connections (USB, power switch, HDD LED etc) and use a screwdriver to short out the power button pins, on the mainboard, and see what happens.

pctek
28-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Someone didn't read the post eh :p
With onboard graphics, the only thing left is the CPU - nothing else is required to get a POST/Bios, display on screen. Dont even need a KB & mouse ;)

Yes I did. I was saying the order of testing was out of whack, not his results.

Snorkbox
28-03-2011, 06:45 PM
So what CPU is needed for testing? I might just have one.

FAB
29-03-2011, 09:25 AM
HI guys
Thanks for all the replies. Order of testing may not be typed out correctly in order here (I hate typing posts, always feels so laborious) but everything has been tested and checked, MB not shorting on anything - I checked that when I threw a new MB in.
First MB had onboard graphics being used, not seperate video card.
I really believe it's the CPU as there's nothing left, but as I said was hopefuly someone might have a suggestion.

Snorkbox - it's an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5200+
Cheers and thanks again - sometimes fixing hardware can be a lonely job but places like PF1 make it easier :)

Snorkbox
29-03-2011, 09:53 AM
@FAB

So that would be a Socket 939 motherboard maybe? I'm currently using a 4400+ X2 Athlon in an Asus A8N board.

Make and model of motherboard?

FAB
30-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Socket 940...