PDA

View Full Version : Inbox Repair Tool

03-10-2001, 12:33 PM
oops, made a blunder trying to sort Outlook 98. I used a system took called Inbox Repair Tool to try to sort minor probs with Outlook 98, it is now unusable, I selected Outlook exe. in the name of the file to be scanned and pressed start, it told me there were 2 errors to be repaired, so I repaired them. Now when I try to start Outlook 98 it gives me the following error message- 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE is not a valid Win32 application'. I tried re-installing it, no good either, the re-install setup cannot find the proxy server I downloaded the outlook 98 update from, outlook 97 will not install either, missing dll files etc. How do I undo the Inbox Repair Tool error I made?

03-10-2001, 03:19 PM
What thing like windows me or windows 98 or whatever have you got?

03-10-2001, 04:26 PM
I am running Windows 98

03-10-2001, 08:00 PM
hehheh, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing! :) The Inbox repair tool is used for repairing PSTs and other files based on the JET format. I suggest you fish the Outlook.exe file off the original CD and replace it. It may be called outlook.ex_ in which case you will need to use the 'expand' command to unpack it. I am unsure if the expand util is available under 9x however, so try it and get back to us.
If you've learned one thing from this it must be to back up files before experimenting with them :)

04-10-2001, 02:59 PM
thanks for your suggestions, I have located the backup file, it is called the outlook.bak. How do I restore this backup to the outlook.exe? there is also a log file called outlook.log, these files were created by Inbox Repair Tool when I was mucking around.