PDA

View Full Version : Inverter issue?

Nomad
27-03-2011, 12:53 PM
This laptop here is too old so not fixing ...

The LCD has nothing but when you turn it on the screen does get a brighter black just no image. Inverter required? And if I shown a torch on it I don't think I can see anything either.

Thanks.

CYaBro
27-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Have you tried with an external monitor to see if the system is actually working?

Nomad
27-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The external monitor works.
This laptop just goes and goes, had since 2000 and it's still being used today as a print server.

Nomad
28-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Out of interest, is the inverter or the bulb (backlight) design standardised? Or would I need a v specific one to each laptop.

Agent_24
28-03-2011, 10:13 AM
They are standard in that they are all CCFL tubes (unless you have a new LCD with LED backlight) and that they are similar lengths for same sized screens (but could be a few mm different and you must get this right)

Some are also thicker than others.

Apart from that they are not standard, and nor are inverters. They will work on much the same electrical way but they will all be different designs and you must get the correct one.

Replacing the backlight can also be a bit tricky as you often must actually disassemble the LCD panel to get at it.

Not impossible, not as much risk as opening a hard drive, but not for the inexperienced either.