PDA

View Full Version : How many DVDs? Convert to HDD?

Adrain
26-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi all!

Wee bit of 'history' (questions below that).

A couple of years ago (once 1GB HDDs came out) I had the idea that I put all my DVDs on to a HDD, take all the A4 paper covers out of the plastic cases, put the DVDs in a 300 DVD holder and put all the front covers in a ring binder with those plastic folders in and bin all those bl*%dy cases! Saving a heap of space. Good idea I thought and started.

Recently, I get a letter from my landlord giving notice that he wants to sell the house so basically get out in three months time! Work, look for new place and finally THE MOVE! So suddenley realised how many DVDs I had!!! No time to to do them all, so the plastic cases (for now) where still needed. So now I'm moved, (fairley) settled, with quite a few DVDs in cases over in a pile (several) in the corner and........................... the computer died! It is no more! So, to rebuild or replace ill parts? I decided to do a new build (poor thing was a couple of years old) and so did! Ta da!

After all that, here's my question(s):

Does any one know a good (free??) DVD to AVI (or other format as I notice this XVID thing now a days!!!??)

I had a DVD to AVI converter program on the computer that I was gradually getting them on to the 1GB HDD with. An OSBC (Off Site Backup Copy)! But as the old computer was dead, I could not remember what program it was. Also, I see a change from AVI to is it now XVID? Or some other newer, better compressing format?? Is there a new format of the day?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Adrain

dugimodo
26-03-2011, 08:31 AM
hmmm, providing you are backing up your own DVD's but it's still technically illegal in NZ. We do not have the fair use law america enjoys. so I'm not sure about reccomending a ripping tool here as it may violate the forum rules.

For the conversion though - autogk for unprotected DVD - Xvid avi
- handbrake for unprotected DVD - H.264 MP4 or M4V

H.264 is better quality at the same or smaller file size, but the Xvid avi will play in many more devices so it's a personal judgement call. If you use a PC for playback I'd reccomend handbrake.

Paul.Cov
26-03-2011, 08:32 AM
VOB2MPG and DVDFAB used together achieve all I want - but can be awkward to learn the tricks and traps with each (being tight and using the free versions) (they have time-limited subscribed versions which is a mode I refuse to pay for).

plod
26-03-2011, 09:38 AM
handbrake, you will also need VLC installed

zqwerty
26-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Copy the complete DVD's to a large, portable 1TeraByte HDD or so, much better method, that way you preserve the original quality.

Adrain
26-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Firstly, thanks one and all!

dugimodo
I'm in the UK at the mo, I believe so long as it's a back up copy and not 'for profit' then it's ok (plus it's only me that will know!). And just the convenience! Also, as for playing on many devices, hmm, my computer at my place and perhaps my laptop at my Mums!? So only two devices so will more than likely use VLC but as handbrake would be on the computer I'll check it out, thank you.

Paul.Cov
I have heard of VOB2MPG and DVDFAB but think they may be (as you suggest) a little, er, too 'powerful' for my needs, but cheers any way.

plod
As VLC is onboard already and handbreak has been also suggested, I can see light ahead, a? I thank you.

zqwerty
You say
Copy the complete DVD's to a large, portable 1TeraByte HDD or so, much better method, that way you preserve the original quality.

Forgive me for being dense but as in open Computer in Windows Expolrer, open the DVD drive, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, navigate to 1TB HDD, perhaps make a folder named after the DVD, open new folder, then Ctrl+V in said new folder? As simple as that?
If so, sounds good! However, to watch said DVD what would I click on to get it started????
Interesting!!! I could do that! But didn't know that would work!

Sorry, but again, which file would I have to click on to then see the DVD? I presume a VOB file???

Regards all,

Adrain

zqwerty
26-03-2011, 01:23 PM
No you will need to research on the Internet as forum rules forbid me giving this info.

The data from a Ctrl C if it works will be very confusing to you, this is done deliberately to stop you doing this.

DVD Fab is good for compressed or full copies but costs dollars.

Paul.Cov
26-03-2011, 06:37 PM
DVD Fab free version can still do the job - it's just not made clear by the author what it will and won't do, but it will indeed place decoded files onto HDD. It (the free version) won't convert or transfer them to other formats or media... those steps you do yourself with other software, or you pay for the time-limited rip-off version.

The reason a copy and paste doesn't work is the copy protection that still remains embedded within the files you copy - it needs to be decoded before the files will be any good to you.

I think it's called 'Content Security System' or something similar, since it's knows as CSS.

Adrain
26-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Once again, I thank you.

zqwerty
This was basically the start of my research as I will have time over the next few months during my chemo to search. I'm prepared to pay (the prog. on my dead comp. was paid for, just can't remember what it was. It was good tho.)

Have to admit I didn't read ALL the forum rules at the time so as you seem to be saying I am breaking the rules here, I shall ask no more about this here! My fault for not reading them all, sorry! Hope you don't get in to trouble on my account. Now I'll try and figure out how to stop or delete this thread so no one else gets 'caught'.

Paul.Cov
Many thanks.

Regards all,

Adrain