PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Building a Desktop

hadows
25-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi guys, I am a Math/CompSci student, and I am building a desktop for running software like Matlab, Mathematica, and of course video games like Starcraft 2.

Thus I want to build a system with some above-average hardwares in market; a focus of my build is the NVIDEA video card, which enable me to play video games and use the CUDA cores to boost up Matlab programming.

Here is my proposal:

CPU Intel Core i5-2300 Quad-Core Socket LGA1155
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE Socket 1155
Memory Corsair XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM
Graphic Card MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Black (WD6402AAEX)
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Modular Power Supply TRX-750M
Network Adapter ASUS PCE-N13, Wireless N PCI-Express Adapter
Case Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F Black SFF mATX
speaker Logitech LS11 Speakers
Monitor Samsung BX2250, 21.5" LED DisplaySamsung BX2250
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Keyboard K340

My questions are:

1. Do all the parts work with one another? e.g.: can all the ports fit each other? does everything go into the desktop case? etc...

2. Do all the parts "match" each other? e.g.: is there anything entry-level working with anything high-end level, like "wearing a $5 Walmart pants with a pair of $1000 fancy shoes "?

3. Do you have any suggestion for replacing any part of this build, or any other suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who reads or replies to this post, greatly appriciated :)

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Matlab? Where'd you get that from? I need it :D

No problems as far as I can see. :)

hadows
25-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Matlab? Where'd you get that from? I need it :D

No problems as far as I can see. :)

Well, I have to confess that this Matlab is not a good one...but since the rule on this forum says no discussion on that...but you can always find it on the Internet...but thanks for your reviewing on my build, if things go well I would buy and build it next week :)

jareemon
25-03-2011, 07:05 PM
No problems as far as I can see, if you have the spare funds, consider a gtx560 ti instead of a gtx460.

:pf1mobmini:

dugimodo
26-03-2011, 08:39 AM
No problems as far as I can see, if you have the spare funds, consider a gtx560 ti instead of a gtx460.

:pf1mobmini:

+1 it'sthe next gen replacement for the 460 and is faster.

460 is still an awesome card though so if that's what you can afford it will be fine

pctek
26-03-2011, 12:28 PM
video games like Starcraft 2.

Thus I want to build a system with some above-average hardwares in market; a focus of my build is the NVIDEA video card,

Graphic Card MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Black (WD6402AAEX)
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Modular Power Supply TRX-750M

Then up the graphics card. I call that average, not above average. But be OK for the maths but not gaming. I mean, it's OK for gaming but you want excellent right?

And change the PUS, TT is dodgy. Get Corsair or Enermax.