PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 activation

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 02:42 PM
If I upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional via an upgrade install using a volume licencing key (which I got free from uni :D), will Professional activate? I can't be bothered reinstalling :p

wainuitech
25-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Should do as long as the Home Pre is Volume, and the pro is volume as well.
And you can get Home Pre in volume - I was asking about it last week to one of my suppliers.

But if its Home Pre OEM, it may not, as usually you have to have the same type.

Its not so much activation, its whether it will accept the media and product key during the upgrade, as the upgrade will go looking for the Home pre details.

Simple make a backup image first of the home Pre, that way if it all turns to custard you simply image it back.

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 03:14 PM
The Home Premium key on my netbook is an OEM key, so I'd best make a backup first - it is my university netbook after all :p

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Hmm, looks like I will have to reinstall to upgrade as I can't do an upgrade install from Home Premium to Professional, and I've already tried Anytime Upgrade. :stare:

Something for the mid-semester break then :p

wainuitech
25-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Did you try douing the upgrade from within Windows - meaning windows running normally, then pop in the dvd, install ?

it usually wont upgrade if you boot from the DVD and select upgrade.

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Did you try douing the upgrade from within Windows - meaning windows running normally, then pop in the dvd, install ?

Tried that in a virtual machine without entering any product keys, it specifically told me to use Anytime Upgrade instead.

wainuitech
25-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Tried that in a virtual machine without entering any product keys, it specifically told me to use Anytime Upgrade instead.
If you are doing it Via a VM to test then it wont matter if it screws up - ignore the anytime upgrade and see if it works that way.

Snorkbox
25-03-2011, 06:30 PM
If you got Win7 Pro from Uni it's quite possible you have the Win7 Pro N Version which is what I got free from Waiariki.

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 06:35 PM
If you got Win7 Pro from Uni it's quite possible you have the Win7 Pro N Version which is what I got free from Waiariki.

It doesn't say N...

icow
25-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Doesn't matter if it's the N version:
"N editions
The features in the N Editions are the same as their equivalent full versions, but do not include Windows Media Player. The cost of the N Editions are the same as the full versions, as Windows Media Player can be downloaded without charge from Microsoft for the N Editions."

pcuser42
25-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Doesn't matter if it's the N version:
"N editions
The features in the N Editions are the same as their equivalent full versions, but do not include Windows Media Player. The cost of the N Editions are the same as the full versions, as Windows Media Player can be downloaded without charge from Microsoft for the N Editions."

WMP can also be downloaded and installed on the N editions anyway :p

Formatting and reinstalling Professional is now under way :p