PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen after POST

icow
24-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I have a computer that has stopped working (2/3 hours ago) it just shows a black screen after POST.

It originally said there was a keyboard error (no keyboard connected) so I replaced the ps2 keyboard with my Dell USB keyboard and it got past POST. But only to a black screen. In the POST screen the keyboard would not respond to the DEL key (enter bios key on this PC). This makes me think that the mobo is dead/dieing. Seeing as it does not detect a keyboard in the PS2 port (the keyboard is fine tested on my pc). Also because it doesn't detect keystrokes on a USB keyboard. Might also be dead HDD (it did pass the POST IDE check) Was going to try safe mode but it doesn't let me get to it :(

Virus, mobo, hd or no of the above?

BTW:
Specs:
1.66ghz P4
MSI Mobo
256mb RAM
60gb? HDD
Floppy drive
MSI Disk drive

there are no cd's/floppies in the drive(s)

win xp sp3

Any ideas?

pctek
24-03-2011, 05:41 PM
The USB keyboard could because it's not set in the BIOS to see a USB keyboard - Legacy USB enabled.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Try another videocard, if you've got one. Whats the videocard? ATI/Nvidia/onboard?

icow
24-03-2011, 05:43 PM
can't get to bios as doesn't register ps2 keyboards or keystrokes.

onboard gfx.

icow
24-03-2011, 05:45 PM
actually it's got a AGP card. MSI (i think) pretty sure it's nvidia, will check.

coldot
24-03-2011, 09:10 PM
If you are seeing the POST screen and message about missing keyboard then you seem to have enough video for the moment. How about resetting the bios with the motherboard jumper? Maybe the bios is corrupted and the wee battery due for replacement?

icow
25-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Ok boots fine with out the video card (msi nvidia 8878) but still doesn't like the ps2 keyboard which makes me think there is still something else wrong.

BTW I can now get into the BIOS (it's registering keystrokes fine now).

coldot
26-03-2011, 03:53 PM
"It doesn't like the PS2 keyboard.." What do you mean by "doesn't like"?

Are you using a USB keyboard when you say "it's registering key strokes fine"?
You could try your PS2 keyboard into USB socket via an adaptor PS2/USB.
Or you could try your USB keyboard into PS2 socket via and adaptor USB/PS2.
Not that it matters much if you've got a working keyboard.

But if you got into BIOS with keystrokes - have you tried resetting to safe/default settings? And if so does it continue further with boot?

icow
26-03-2011, 09:46 PM
registers key strokes fine = when I use it, it works
Doesn't like the ps2 keyboard= POST error that says no keyboard attached but the keyboard is and works fine
Continues to boot into windows fine
"Or you could try your USB keyboard into PS2 socket via and adaptor USB/PS2.
Not that it matters much if you've got a working keyboard."
lost that ages ago, the keyboard that is being used is mine, the pc is not

Speedy Gonzales
26-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Looks like this is a common prob this black screen with nvidia cards / XP.

Try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers (if theyre installed) while you can get into windows. Then put the Nvidia card back in. See what happens. Dont worry about the drivers just yet

wainuitech
26-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Card more than likely stuffed.

Had a laptop very similar - had Nvidia graphics. With the Nvidia drivers in it wouldn't boot past the BIOS - or at least couldn't see it, straight black screen.
Removed the Nvidia drivers, so it ran only on the inbuilt windows, and it booted fine. Had to remove the drivers in safe mode.

Reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, and right back to a black screen.