PDA

View Full Version : Computer not starting

user123
24-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a really annoying problem. My computer won't start for some reason. It has been working perfectly well before. I've had this computer for around 6 years now, but I didn't expect for it to suddenly stop working. When I opened the computer case to investigate, I saw that when I push the power button, everything is okay for half a second. Then the fans stop, the PSU light stopped, the front power light is gone and nothing is working. My PSU doesn't have a switch, so I have to unplug the power cable and then plug it in again. It is like the computer goes dead whenever it starts. I tried swapping the PSU (240W) for another PSU (320W). The computer still doesn't work, but the power light by the power button flashes continuously. Then I unplugged the power, and removed the battery (the one that looks like a coin) for at least 15 seconds. I then placed it back. I tried resetting the CMOS. I've tried taking the RAM and the hard drive out. Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me? I really need to get it fixed. :thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks Thanks!

CYaBro
24-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Can you see any bulging or leaking capacitors on the mainboard?

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Whats the specs of the system?? I would put something better than 320 W in it. Where in Auck are you?? I could check it out, if youre near Mt Eden. But you'll have to bring it here

wainuitech
24-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds a little like the Motherboard has died.

Six years isn't to bad, and totally expected for a PC that age.

dugimodo
25-03-2011, 09:28 AM
what happens when you turn it on is the pc starts a self check, if something is wrong it turns itself off again. It will do this for various reasons depending on the manufacturer and can be hard to diagnose. The motherboard may well be dead as someone suggested.

Things that may be worth trying: (others can probably add to this list)
1.Disconnect all drives and turn it on, it obviously won't boot but if it doesn't shut down then a drive is the issue.
2.If you have more than 1 memory chip try removing them one at a time - although some older boards require pairs.
3. Try removing and replacing RAM and Video cards, sometimes it's just a poor or dirty connection and this can help.
4. if a pc speaker is connected does it make any beeps ?
5. are all the fans spinning when it first starts, especially the CPU fan but also any case fans connected to the motherboard - some systems shut down if a working fan isn't detected