PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burners to Avoid

Strommer
24-03-2011, 07:53 AM
I need to buy a dvd burner (hardware, not software).

What is a good brand these days?

Which ones to avoid?

Do any come with a 2 year guarantee rather than the usual 1 year?

Thanks.

wainuitech
24-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Asus have two year.
Lite-on also have two year.

What the shop actually puts on them is a different matter. Often places only put on a one year warranty even though the "actual" warranty is longer - upto five years in some cases.

Heres a classic example: see attachment ( highlighted) from Suppliers. Now look at this ad from Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=393678) 1 year warranty, but you can pay for a longer one to make it two years +$19. ( which it already has) - So who's ripping who off ?

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 08:18 AM
I should have avoided this burner, only because nothing recognises it lol ASUS 24B3ST.

I think its pretty new. Cant use it in CDburnerXP, it doesnt detect it (yet) so I cant burn anything. But I've posted on the forum (that the latest version, doesnt detect it).

And I tried Cheetah DVD burner, it recognised it, but add files then go to burn one of its files crash. So, that was the end of that. Only program that does work (so far) is PowerISO. I'll have to try Burnaware, and a few others to see if they work

wainuitech
24-03-2011, 08:42 AM
yeah not all writing programs work with all optical drives.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Probably because its pretty recent. CDburnerXP will probably work soon, once its been updated.

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm happy with my Asus 24B1LT

pctek
24-03-2011, 11:51 AM
What the shop actually puts on them is a different matter. Often places only put on a one year warranty even though the "actual" warranty is longer - upto five years in some cases.

Scum shops. I'm just about to get a PC back with suspected faulty MB. 3 year warranty - runs out 34th next month.

And oh joy - I bought it from morningstar.
But ASUS should do it anyway, might just have to send it overseas........

wainuitech
24-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Dont want to hijack the thread - But - PCtek - try Tech Centeral (http://www.techcentral.co.nz/) - I think they are still going and still do the RMA's other wise contact Synnex or Altech (I think),they maybe able to help as well with RMA's.

Mind you - if its a 3 year old MB, then they may just offer the $$ back - as there more than likely wont be any replacements-- fat lot of good that is :rolleyes:

pctek
24-03-2011, 02:10 PM
- PCtek - try Tech Centeral (http://www.techcentral.co.nz/) - :

They don't RMA Morningstars stuff. They are NZs ASUS repair centre but not for the MB I think. Dunno, I'll see what ASUS says first.

Yes I still have accounts with Synnex and Altech - no biggie really, worse case scenario I have to buy an old board off TM or GP forums or something. It was a matx budget board anyway..........

But my point is it's my problem, I do proper warranties. Unlike **** shops.

Agent_24
24-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I still have my CyberDrives from Dick Smith.. and they still work, except the DVD-ROM where the laser lens melted for no apparent reason.

Not sure what the OEM was, or if there even was one. But they did come under the name C'yve or something too I think.

I also have Asus, Lite-On and Pioneer drives (Asus are often rebranded Pioneer anyway) and I like all of them.

(Except an old Asus CD-RW which bricked itself during firmware update and I had to manually reprogram the flash, but that's more the fault of Asus retarded flash program, the drive itself is very nice hardware-wise)

Would definitely not buy anything from Samsung. Seen several which died for no reason or ended up burning (not in the good way, the charred electronic component way)

dugimodo
24-03-2011, 03:17 PM
I have used asus and pioneer drives for several years without any failures.
I have encountered problems with media though, some combinations of drive brand and blank DVD media brand just don't mix.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Most of the blanks I've used have been fine. At the mo, I'm using Prime cdr's, I've used SKC, and Princo. I've got some DVD blanks, dont know what the brand is. But they've been fine so far

Zippity
24-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Liteons have presented no issues for me over the last five or six years :)

I get my media from www.blankcd.co.nz with Taiyo Yuden being the best

dugimodo
25-03-2011, 10:39 AM
at the risk of a minor hijack....

I used to burn a lot of DVD's and I used princo's for a long time as they were cheap and seemed to work fine. However when I go back to those disks now many of them are corrupted and won't read, they all worked fine immediately after they were burnt.

When I discovered this I did some research into brands and reliability and settled on Verbatim. They were consistently in the top 3 at the time and available all over the place quite cheaply. (Taiyo Yuden do rate better but are only available online and cost more). I did this a couple of years ago however and things change.

Incidentally Verbatim are manufactured by Mitsubishi (or were 2 years ago at least) who also rate well and you can even find disks from both brands with the same media descriptor, amusingly though the Verabtim disks are cheaper.

Agent_24
25-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Thus you have found the reason why cheap discs are rubbish.