PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Internet Explorer problem

02-10-2001, 09:26 PM
A dialog box always appears when I try to close more than one internet explorer window that is open. The error message says 'Microsoft IE has encountered a problem and must close. Sorry for the inconvenience' Below that is a checkbox next to the message 'Restart Internet Explorer'. This is a regular occurence which is very annoying, because it closes all open IE pages and I only want to close the ones I no longer want to view. I use windows 95 and IE 5.5. Any clues on how to eliminate this problem?

03-10-2001, 06:31 AM
You may have to run IE setup again, and go for the options to restore existing setup.

03-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Don't go the way K O just said. You may want to repair your installation. To do that, goto Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel (Start-Settings-Control Panel), select Microsoft Internet Explorer <<version>> and Internet Tools, click the Add/Remove button. Choose Repair Internet Explorer and click OK.

03-10-2001, 01:36 PM
Thanks Daniel, I never knew about that way, looks good.

03-10-2001, 03:02 PM
...good advice from KO and Daniel.

Some other things to look at if that does not resolve your problem:

1. Do you have the 'Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tool' installed (?) Look it for it in Add/Remove Programmes on the Control Panel. This add-on can cause problems in itself and will give the message you receive. Try uninstalling it and see if that solves the annoyance.

2. Try putting a short-cut for your 'Dr Watson' reporting tool in the start-up folder. This will take a snap shot of what's happening at the time your Browser crashes and might provide details which could provide an answer - or something you can post back here for more assistance.

3. Myself, I suspect you might have a Browser Helper Object (BHO) somewhere in the mix which is causing your problem. Have you recently installed any add-ons to your Browser (?). If you are unsure, a tiny freeware utility may be downloaded from the following site which will search your system:

http://www.xcaptor.org/bhocaptor.php

Cheers !!!

e_

03-10-2001, 07:08 PM
You are not alone, same thing is happening to me. Just started this last week. obviously a security breach of some time. The error box is annoying, tolerating it once is fine but more than 3 times in one session is not. Let's hope someone can come up with an answer. Best way around it so far is to go to control panel\ add remove programmes\ select internet explorer 5.5

Option you should choose is return to windows settings, after restarting you will have IE 5.0 and outlook express 5.5 and should experience no further problems. No error messages.

04-10-2001, 02:12 PM
I'd go to add/remove programs in settings. C;icl on Interent Explorer 5.5 and then click on the repair otion. If this doesn't work reinstall IE5.5. It might also pay you to install the 55.5 service pack.