PDA

View Full Version : Video editor for Windows 7 64bit?

darthcarnate
23-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Been taking some nice 1080p HD movies with my new camera, but have run into a serious issue: most computers apart from my home one that I want to play them on don't support HD, and I want to edit the movies and burn them at DVD quality to a DVD, or copy onto a flash drive etc. for playback on weaker computers.

Can anyone suggest a good programme for this? I don't need anything overly fancy, but I want to be able to split, trim, mix audio tracks, add transitions/titles etc., none of this automovie rubbish.

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2011, 07:57 AM
The only "true" 64 bit video editing program (so they say), is Cyberlink Powerdirector. But its not free. The rest are probably 32 bit. Depends what format your files are in.

You could try the version of Movie maker here. http://noeld.com/updates.asp Dont know if it'll load whatever video format you've got tho. Its pretty similar to Moviemaker in Vista

darthcarnate
23-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks very much, it doesn't have to be 64 bit, just adding that in because on the odd occasion I run into a programme that has compatibility issues with 64 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2011, 08:17 AM
What format are the files in?? MP4? If they are, there's not a lot of free programs that can load MP4. Unless you convert them to something else

SolMiester
23-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Windows Live essentials has an easy to use DVD\movie editor and its free, you can add music, titles etc...save up to you tube or cut to dvd etc....it basic, but does the job!

darthcarnate
23-03-2011, 03:38 PM
AVCHD video (.m2ts) is the format.
Targets are mp4 for my iPod, .avi for playback on PCs/projectors connected to laptops at DVD res, and DVD.

darthcarnate
23-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Tried converting with Mediacoder straight to the iPod format, and motion is blurred really badly - something to do with going from a 16MBps bitrate to 1?
I need an easy to use converter!

gary67
23-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Try Any video converter free says it can do that format in the help file I just looked, damn looks like they dumped the free version although I have the installer for it,

just found it here (http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/)

goodiesguy
23-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Tried converting with Mediacoder straight to the iPod format, and motion is blurred really badly - something to do with going from a 16MBps bitrate to 1?
I need an easy to use converter!

Motion blurred?

that is most likely to do with interlacing. Normally when you convert a file into a different format it gets rid of the interlacing.

interlacing is when the 2 fields of each frame are not playing at the same time to make the whole frame.

normally when such an interlaced file is converted without deinterlacing, it will remove half of the fields from the frames and it will result in a more blurred less lifelike motion.

autechre
24-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Give Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) a go for converting to .mp4. It (apparently) handles some .m2ts files.

dugimodo
24-03-2011, 01:11 PM
you could also try the portable version of VLC on the machines that "don't have HD support", unless they are more than a couple of years old they should be able to play HD ok.

I suggest VLC portable because you could burn it onto a disk with the files and have everthing need to play them right there. This is assuming it works of course, I haven't played that format myself but it seems to handle almost anything.

BBCmicro
24-03-2011, 07:36 PM
XMedia Recode is free and works with Win7 64bit. It converts to most video formats and containers (I use DivX within .avi) and I think it takes AVCHD as an input (it mentions x264). It also handles batch conversion.

BUT it doesn't do editing ie, chopping out bits of your footage.

In your position I would probably use XMedia to convert to standard MPEG-2 then use the free VirtualDub to edit out the unwanted segments. Output the result as MPEG-4 (ie, DivX or Xvid within .avi). VirtualDub is a good no-fuss editor for chopping out bits from an MPEG stream (AND for joining possibly-unrelated MPEG-2 files which have the same parameters) There are a zillion different 'filters' you can use with it. But I think VirtualDub only outputs as .avi?? You can choose the quality to suit the intended display device

darthcarnate
25-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Any Converter Free had slowed-down blurred motion, while XMedia Recode was all good on the speed front, but all motion has tearing?
I'll try VLC on a laptop with a 1.6GHz dual core.

darthcarnate
28-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Live Movie Maker works fine strangely