PDA

View Full Version : Replacing laptop fan

Nomad
22-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Hi, that's the CPU right? How does one go around replacing it?

Taken keyb off and if I run my finger to make it spin - I get that tapping high pitch sound......

Laptop is a Thinkpad X61T.

:thanks:

The Error Guy
23-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Usually the CPU and GPU heat sinks are on one thermal pipe to the one fan. Occasionally you get an exception (very rare though)

So just order the spare, apply new thermal paste and away you go.

Nomad
23-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I'll try some WD 40 or CRC 556 first after reading ....
What's the diff anyway.

Will also try out compressed air. Just in case, need to eBay it too ... $30US incl postal from Asia. So annoying I had to move away from the quiet area of the library.

The Error Guy
23-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Not much difference really, just the fact that the fans are different so make sure you order the right part.

Yea, try the CRC, no damage done if it screws up further. you'll be getting a new one anyway

Nomad
23-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Apprently due to annoying issues, there is even a utility called TPfancontrol :p it just shuts off the fan, my 1.8 Core 2 Duo is at ~ 60 deg. Advice on this? Doing light stuff like surfing online, mostly idle.

Yeah, I may need to take it apart, seems like I need to take the chassis apart too cos part of it gets in the way. Thermal paste it and clean it out if that helps.

Anyway, on the desktop side, how much diff are we talking about if we get a better HSF instead of the Intel stock?

N.

Agent_24
23-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't go with WD40. I tried that on a fan once and it cleaned it.. really well... what was left of the old lubricant all came out.

Not sure what the proper stuff is but I put olive oil on my previous motherboard's northbridge fan and it's still running fine. (several years old now, and the original lubricant started having problems after less than a year, or at least thats when it started making a horrible noise)

jareemon
24-03-2011, 12:07 AM
As for your desktop, what cpu model is it? If it is only used casually, the intel stock should be fine. If it gets frequent heavy use, you could consider upgrading to an aftermarket cooler to increase the lifetime of the cpu and in some cases reduce noise as well.

:pf1mobmini:

Nomad
26-03-2011, 06:26 PM
desktop is Intel Quad 2.33.
much noise reduction?

the laptop had to strip it down first time going this far. had to put mobo upside down as that's how the heat sink is located. cpu is facing down. gave crc 556 still sound. may need to order new fan after i get the battery. the firmware does address a noise issue but i doubt it address mine.