PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Upgrade Recommendations

HamieSam
22-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi there,

I feel my hard drive is in need of an upgrade and was wondering what people recommended.

System comprises of:
i5 750
gigabyte p55-ub3
crucial 4g ram ddr3 1333
xfx ati 5770 1gb
1tb seagate gdd
cooler master 690 case
coolermaster silent pro m700 psu

My intention is to include a SSD in my setup without spending too much. I've heard that you can run your OS and specific games on the SSD and all the rest leave on the mass hard drive?

What size SSD would I need to have Windows7, CounterstrikeSource, WorldofWarcraft, and Blackops running off it and what brand?

jareemon
22-03-2011, 01:21 PM
60gb should be plenty. As far as i'm aware, ssd performance decreases as more storage space is occupied. I recommend the vertex or intel x-25 drives. Check the size of the program folders for the games and the windows folders, total that, add about 30% to allow for some room to breathe and you choose the size accordingly.

:pf1mobmini:

jareemon
22-03-2011, 01:23 PM
As for your 1tb hdd, use that for movies, music and other files and program folders that dont need performance priority.

SolMiester
22-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a Corsair Force 120Gb on the home PC, however even with the space I wouldnt install games on it. The reason being its really only load up times that benefit and games take a huge wack out of your space.
I think SSD are better suited to O/S and Productivity Suites, photos (forget about slow to load thumbnails anymore), and of course browsing will speed up too and temp files are held on the SSD.

dugimodo
22-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I've been a bit dubious about the Idea as I still find programs that insist on installing to the C: drive and don't want to have to do any registry hacks to move the default directories for my programs, my documents etc. I think it's a poor windows design that you can't just simply designate these yourself if you wish.

With half a dozen games and an otherwise relatively clean install of Win 7 my C: drive is right around 120G used at the moment, includes more than 25G just for wow though which can be just copied to another drive easily so that's a thought. (WOW will happily run from anywhere if you simply copy the whole folder in my experince. I haven't installed it in 3 pc upgrades to date.)

Cato
22-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Warcraft is about 7-8gb.
Counterstrike will be about 2.
BlackOps 10+

I have two games (NTW, HOI3) on my windows 7 partition and I am already using up 65.5gb. Add to that office, and all the little bits here and there I'll easily cross the 120gb.

Get the biggest Intel or Corsair SSD you can afford. If it's outside your budget, consider waiting (or RAID0), they'll only get cheaper.

jareemon
22-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Get the biggest Intel or Corsair SSD you can afford.

jareemon
22-03-2011, 03:42 PM
+1

Cato
22-03-2011, 03:42 PM
jareemon: Dude that smiley face of yours is really creeping me out :dogeye:

jareemon
22-03-2011, 03:52 PM
It's automatically added because I'm using pf1 mobile

SolMiester
22-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I've been a bit dubious about the Idea as I still find programs that insist on installing to the C: drive and don't want to have to do any registry hacks to move the default directories for my programs, my documents etc. I think it's a poor windows design that you can't just simply designate these yourself if you wish.

With half a dozen games and an otherwise relatively clean install of Win 7 my C: drive is right around 120G used at the moment, includes more than 25G just for wow though which can be just copied to another drive easily so that's a thought. (WOW will happily run from anywhere if you simply copy the whole folder in my experince. I haven't installed it in 3 pc upgrades to date.)

I cant remember the last program I installed which wouldn't allow me to change install drive and directory!

jareemon
22-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Yea, it's easier to just decide with each program which drive to install it to, it's pointless changing the default directory, because you still want some of your programs and games on the primary (ssd) drive. Just make a 'program files' folder on the 1tb for the others.

ShiroHagen
22-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I've recently upgraded and included a 60GB Corsair Force F60 SSD in the build.

I installed Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit, WoW Cataclysm, and on just those 2 items about 55GB used up!

WoW has something like a 30GB footprint these days, so if you're planning on putting other games on the SSD then I would probably spring for 128GB at least.

HamieSam
23-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah i would probably only put my steam games on it and leave WoW off. My WoW is currently at 24GB and hasnt been updated since a wee bit after cataclysm update