PDA

View Full Version : If a browser supports HMTL5, do you need flash??

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I've just uninstalled flash for FF / IE. And this site seems to load a hell of a lot faster / seems more responsive in FF 4 RC. Than it did a few mins ago (before I uninstalled flash)

Cato
22-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, because a great deal of websites run flash and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmm ok or until they change

The Error Guy
22-03-2011, 12:31 PM
since no flash is installed then it won't load any flash apps (basically most of the ads)

Cato
22-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Hmm ok or until they change

Most will never change.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 12:37 PM
But isnt that point of Html5?? So you wont have to use flash ? Well, sooner or later. Ads probably wont appear anyway, if you use flashblock. Well I dont see any

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes, it's the point, and that's why there's some merit to Apple taking a stand against supporting Flash on their iOS devices.

However, Flash is on something like 99% of all desktop PC's, so people have built for it in the past.

Most of Flash can be replaced by other web technologies such as HTML5, but Flash may never die...

Erayd
22-03-2011, 01:29 PM
But isnt that point of Html5?? So you wont have to use flash ? Well, sooner or later. Ads probably wont appear anyway, if you use flashblock. Well I dont see anyThat's much of the idea behind it, but it's not a drop-in replacement. An HTML5-compliant browser can run HTML5 applications, but it still can't run Flash applications without the Flash plugin installed.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I found that out lol

robbyp
22-03-2011, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=Chilling_Silence;1003099]Yes, it's the point, and that's why there's some merit to Apple taking a stand against supporting Flash on their iOS devices./QUOTE]

I am sure that wasn't the only reason, or possibly not even the main reason. But they could be the reason for it to be killed off.

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah well there's also the fact that they don't have control over Flash games etc
Flash also is the leading cause of crashes on MacOSX they reckon.

plod
22-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah well there's also the fact that they don't have control over Flash games etc
Flash also is the leading cause of crashes on MacOSX they reckon.

Bingo, safari on the mac doesn't like flash, well not the flash games on facebook which my wife loves. Doesn't crash on any other site with flash. However chrome seems to be immuned from crashing on the facebook apps.
Not to mention its the biggest resource hog of anything I do on here

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Though you could argue that it works well on Windows, Linux and Android, and the issue is either Mac OSX, the implementation, our the support from the OS / Browser vendor ;-)

:pf1mobmini:

plod
23-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Though you could argue that it works well on Windows, Linux and Android, and the issue is either Mac OSX, the implementation, our the support from the OS / Browser vendor ;-)

:pf1mobmini:

I'm sure the issue with flash is the mac, and specifically safari. I never doubted that. As for it being a resource hog, I have found it the same on both mac and windows.

8ftmetalhaed
23-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I wait for the day that flash is dead. Especially if adobe reader dies soon after. They're both slow as hell to use and load, they have sneaky bastard update software and I just generally hate them.
Admittedly, my new favourite cartoon was made in flash 8, and I enjoy watching flash videos, but I don't think it's necessary to write every single ad on the internet in thousands of lines of crappy flash code. And the reasoning behind html5 not being so quickly taken up is apparently it's too complex for the developers to use or something ridiculous.

Chilling_Silence
23-03-2011, 12:43 PM
As for it being a resource hog, I have found it the same on both mac and windows.

This is true. It's never been the fastest thing in the world ... :D