PDA

View Full Version : Computer no longer booting up / OS failure?

smudge
22-03-2011, 09:52 AM
My partner bought a computer around August/September last year, it had been going great, he turned it off 2 nights ago and when he went to start it up last night, it starts off with the Asus logo, but once it gets past that it's a blank screen. He can use the express gateway to access the internet which bypasses the operating system, but that's as far as he can go.

He's running Windows XP pro, I thought i would try a repair install to see if that would be any help, but the XP disk won't boot up. I restarted the computer and chose cd/dvd room, the cursor blinks on the screen for around a minute then it goes blank again.

The specs of the machine: (Copying out of the booklet)
CPU: AMD socket AM3 for AMD Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series processors

Motherboard; Asus M4A87TD/USB3

Chipset: AMD 870 / SB850

Not sure if I need to state anything else?

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Check in the BIOS and make sure it can still see both the HDD and the CD Drive?

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Disable the ASUS logo in the BIOS. See whats its saying. Or press tab / esc I think it is, it may go to the back screen

smudge
22-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm lost already lol.
Ok I'm in BIOS setup. It says Sata 1, 2, 3 & 6 not detected, Sata 4 Samsung HD103SJ
Sata 5: HL-DT-ST dvdram GH

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 10:14 AM
OK cool so it finds the HDD, it's just that something is corrupt / missing.

Try a windows repair is probably the best place to start :)

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Smudge did the cd wouldn't boot

smudge
22-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, was just about to say that.
The screen just goes black, even after trying to boot from cd.

How do I disable the Asus Logo?
It's like a greenish screen and it says something like Press Del to access bios.. and some other menu things, it only stays up for a couple of seconds.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Got a linux live boot cd?? If you have see if that works

smudge
22-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Nope.

Cato
22-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Greenish colour = distorted corrupted colours?

jareemon
22-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Go into the bios and make sure the dvdram drive (sata 5) is set to boot before the hdd (sata 4) then try the recovery/windows disc

:pf1mobmini:

pctek
22-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm lost already lol.
Ok I'm in BIOS setup. It says Sata 1, 2, 3 & 6 not detected, Sata 4 Samsung HD103SJ
Sata 5: HL-DT-ST dvdram GH

Different. Personally I would have the HDD on sata 1 and the DVD on sata 2.

On the boot options in the BIOS, there is usually a thing Full Screen Logo - disable, enable. Disable it.

Make sure DVD is 1st boot device.

jareemon
22-03-2011, 02:16 PM
While you're there, disable ahci until you've reinstalled windows

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Yup some ASUS mobos are fussy are what SATA ports you use. On this SATA 1 and 2 it says (in the manual) these are for devices that use standard IDE mode. So, that probably means DVD's / CD's?? Not hdds you use in AHCI mode?

I think I did that but it was only DMA mode 2, whereas port 4 is DMA mode 5. So, I left it on port 4

smudge
22-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Greenish colour = distorted corrupted colours?

It's not distorted or corrupted as it has done that from day one and it was brand new/custom built from that computer lounge website. They wouldn't send anything faulty. It was running PERFECT, just turned it off as normal 2 nights ago, went to turn it on last night and it had the blank screen problem, nothing was changed as it's only ever used for one game.
Makes me wonder why it would work one day and then buggered the next, I had thought maybe it had something to do with the 5.1 aftershock we had - the desk the computer is on got shaken up a bit, but then it can't be that because it wouldn't turn on at all or it wouldn't load the express gateway thing that bypasses the operating system.

I will try other suggestions on here, but as I said, why would it work perfectly on the settings that are on there now then all of a sudden decide not to work? Seems a bit odd.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Youre not in Auckland are you?? If you were I could have a look with Ubuntu. Or use an XP cd on it

smudge
22-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Nope, i'm down in christchurch.