PDA

View Full Version : PPS files classed as corrupted etc

effie c
22-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi,
since I reloaded my Office 2007 into this upgraded computer, I am unable to open a PPS file, even after downloading Power point viewer separately ( I think Office has it built in ) but I am open to advisement :illogical

The shaded window which comes up says that the file is either corrupted, and the attachment was wrongly decoded. or the settings in my pooter are wrong

I followed one lead which told me to go into the register and change a"Powerpoint Viewer from "show" to "open", which I did but that has made no difference-all incoming attached PPS files are treated the same.

The source is impeccable, the sender knowing more tham me in error correction,so what next.
:nerd:
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Did you save it first? If it was an email attachment?

effie c
22-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Speedy,

Save it?--talk to me, bones ----- ,the file comes from a mate and several of them and none will open- all say corruption or wrong set up in the pooter

What can I do? If I save them - where to and how do I open them from there?

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Saved it if it came in email before you opened it. Not much you can do if it says its always corrupted. The person who gave it will have to fix it.

Or you may have to install office / powerpoint. And see if that makes a diff

smithie 38
22-03-2011, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Speedy Gonzales;1003019 The person who gave it will have to fix it.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Speedy

I am the one who sends these PPS attachments to effie and have done so for years. I also send them to a wide range of friends and they have no trouble opening them, just by clicking on the attachment. Effie's problem is not at my end I am sure.

Smithie

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh right ok, didnt see that Office was already on Effie's PC and Power point didnt work either?

Nvidia firewall isnt on your computer is it Effie. Thats one thing that can corrupt files. Altho, it'd probably corrupt any file on the system. Not just a PPS file. Did it come in email, or did you give it to Effie on a USB flash drive or something? How many programs are on the computer (that can open PPS files)? Looks like if you select the wrong one, it can say that error

effie c
22-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi Speedy,

Yes- at least I downloaded that during a Microsoft update--BUT it is not installed- should I delete it
effie c

effie c
22-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Speedy,

Deleted and uninstalled NVIDIA but as it came out using REVO uninstaller the pooter went into safe mode- yet I was still able to talk on Skype to Smithie which is NOT usual- normally the internet is not available in safe Mode
Should I re install Office ?
I saved Smithie's file and then tried to open it from there- same result

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi Speedy,

Yes- at least I downloaded that during a Microsoft update--BUT it is not installed- should I delete it
effie c

?? What update?? You can get on the net with safe mode / networking

You could try uninstalling office. Then get this and run it, http://www.refusetosuffer.com/software.php?SoftwareID=4 so it removes everything to do with Office. Unzip it first

Then reboot, then reinstall office

effie c
22-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi Speedy--

am going to do as you suggested- may take a little time, so don't disappear on me :D, at least you are giving assistance, so thank you anyway

Smithie is off line at the moment and he too is as frustrated as me- wish me luck

effie c

Cato
22-03-2011, 11:59 AM
If it isn't top secret maybe it wouldn't hurt to upload it here and see any of us have an issue with said pps?

effie c
22-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Cato

It certainly is not a secret- -I will get smithie38 to send it to you first,then I will try and send my version if Smith includes my address in youe e mail
am just starting to re install Office 2007 Enterprize, but I might just wait till we try your idea

effie c

NB I have just tried to run that/any PPS and same thing happens even when Office is deleted so it can't be that Office doing it
Have asked Smithie to work with me / us on this
effie c

Snorkbox
22-03-2011, 01:35 PM
PM sent.

effie c
22-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi all, and especially Cato.

I answered a pm email from Cato who used powerpoint 2003 to open this problem PPS file that I had sent to him, and then he resent it back to me in such a fashion----in v 2003 AND IT OPENED :o

After I Changed to Office 2007 I heard a vague comment from somebody- may be from F1, that v 2007 had left out some applications that would cause trouble.

I never took much notice---untill tonight.

Tomorrow I shall install powerpoint 2003 from my CD and hopefully will be away laughing

I hope I don't have egg on my face
:thanks

effie c

effie c
23-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi all,:o

Apparently my exultation was misplaced, apparently I have to keep searching

Woe is me :D

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2011, 10:25 AM
? So, Office 2003 can't read it either? It said the same thing? Must be something Smithie has or does why its corrupted. Or Office 03 and 07 is missing something / a pack. So, it can read it / them, properly. You using any AV programs to scan in and outgoing emails Smithie?

Snorkbox
23-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Send another one to me that you can't open. I have Powerpoint 2007 and 2010 but I don't have 2003. Was there suppose to be an attachment to the last email you sent me because there wasn't.

Did you try resetting file associations by right clicking the file, open with, and choose powerpoint as I said in my Email?

effie c
23-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Speedy and Snorkbox
Smithie is like me using ESET I wonder if someone other than Smithie has a similar file for me to try?

I have enjoyed smithie's PPS funnies for years, so I doubt the trouble is there
Smithie 38 is playing bowls today, but I am around -anything to resolve this ---
The so called corrupt file has this fault warning in the center of the window, which puts any "tool" etc in shadow unril I delete the warning in the center

I will send a file to you and anybody who wants it

effie c

wainuitech
23-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Hm Something "strange" may be happening ?

I got the one you emailed me effie, put it through Office 2003 With SP3 and it played perfectly. Was this the same one you had problems opening?

wainuitech
23-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Just sent an email with a possible cause / Solution. ;) Let us know how you get on.

effie c
23-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi all---again

SUCCESS

This time it is not premature--My onetime teenaged friend now 31 and a qualified IT has taken over my computer using Teamviewer and deleted a multitude of apparently conflicting files,in the registry-he knew which - and he suggested I uninstall and then re install Office, afterwards --result- perfection, ie all the pps files that have caused this debacle now open perfectly- and believe me it has taken 2 days of trial and (T)error but it is now perfect

I thank Snorkbox - Cato and all others who contributed

Stuart works for talktechnow in Rotorua and helped me out hopefully for old times sake, and seeing I have not paid a great fortune in tuition fees to him at that, I have come out well.

This Teamviewer is quite a program -- me watching Stuart running my pooter as I watched,

Wainui Tech has done the same for me sometime ago, after another hiccup - - so I am well looked after
:drool

effie c

effie c
24-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I must be a Jonah,after enjoying all files opening nrmally,yesterday----to day it is back to what I had ie "I need to install a file to associate ----"

What the hell is wrong, and me making a fool of myself in the process :wub

I booted up this morning, had to confirm my ISP password 3 times before it worked, but otherwise no problem untill I came to re open those PPS files---------- !!!

Somebody come to an oldie 's rescue please?

effie c

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Have you tried right click the PPS file, open with, and choose powerpoint? Check the box that says always use powerpoint.

effie c
24-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Snorkbox,

Choice not available- tried to open from e mail- just get error inside a dark window:-

Says ;- "This file does not have a program associated with it, for performing this action,create an association in the default programs

Does this suggest altering the default- O K how do I do it

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Save it first

effie c
24-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Speedy,
Done that-it opened O K yesterday now same message as above appears

How would I change it from "my Documents" to an openable file

---or create "an association etc" as seen above
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 05:07 PM
What version of windows is it? What do you mean by my documents to an openable file?

effie c
24-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi Speedy,

Windows 7 Professional, was going xtra well in old DDR 400 GHz ram,P4

I then upgrade to the latest motherboard and DDR3 ram- and it again went well,although I had to upgrade off a Vista install as my version could not be started off a virgin install, I then re installed Office 2007 Enterprize version,and still it went O K- then last week I found I could not open a PPS file that came in attached to an e mail, and my troubles have compunded since

The window that now opens as I try to open the file, says specifically that I would have to create an association in my default folder to make it work-yet when Stuart finished working in teamviewer- it worked a dream--no updates had come in before I tried th redo the success of yesterday

Can I create an association in default anyway?

effie c

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Have you tried going to My Docs > Right click the PPS file > Open with > choose Powerpoint and tick the box > always use.

effie c
24-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi,

Here is a copy of tyjhe message I am getting- I cannot get any choice just this when I go for open with

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unable-to-open-pps-ppt-from-windows-mail-or-wlm
effie c

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Have you done what I asked you to do in post 29?

Yes/No

?????

If yes what happened?

effie c
24-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi,

Yes I thought I had but I see it is a site saved on my mouse instaed of what I wanted

I tried as before and got to "open with" and from there there is no choice- instantly I get this insistance Ihave to have a file association to get it to open

The snipping tool copy I have got is now in my pictures but it won't copy to this forum

I will give it another go- if it appears well and good -if it is not there I will have to find another way to show you

I could e mail you with a copy if it fails- nope it won,t go
I will send it by e mail and you could reply on here if others have this problem, which the site I have searched for has many complaints about the same problem of non opening

effie c

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Don't try and open the file in Email.

Save the attachment on the hard drive and then right click the file etc.

Snorkbox
24-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Check your Email.

pctek
24-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I had to upgrade off a Vista install as my version could not be started off a virgin install

:groan::horrified
Vista may look like Win7 but it isn't. It's different behind the scenes.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Well I checked out this prob with TV. And the file that didnt open opened. And Effie was surprised / wondered how I opened it lol.

I think Effie was trying to open more than 1 file at the same time (inc this PPS file). Which is why, it said it was corrupt

effie c
25-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi Speedy,Snorkbox et al.,

Yes Speedy, you showed me and assisted yet again- thank you- I think or would like to think it was more than brain damage, --I sure have egg on my face, and yes I have had several files open, so you have somewhat molified my embarressment.
PCTek,
The original decision to use XP was from a a sample of XP Stuart brought --but when used it stated that parameters were wrong, so Stuart used Vista as the only OS that he had to hand-and yes it worked but I can see in registry more, files than XP would have left,I think--I do know I have used 80 gb of my 500gb to do it, which suggests two OS are using doubled up soace, just to get W7

The irritating thing was though I had had XP Pro installed when w 7 was first put in- it used that to upgrade/ install--when set up I deleted everything to do with XP as W 7 was so good--not realising the copy of W7 was only for an upgrade- when installing my new h/d it would not recognise the key until------

Ah well age is upon me and I know it :sleep

Thanks again

effie c