PDA

View Full Version : Laptop won't recognize correct wireless key + LAN ports unrecognized

Bbear
21-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm having a strange problem in that my laptop suddenly wouldn't recognize the LAN port and my router doesn't recognize that the laptop is connected either, other laptops don't have a problem with my router.

I thought perhaps my LAN port had a problem but today i've tested the wireless card on a friend's network and even though i have the correct wireless key, the laptop keeps reporting it is invalid - i tested the key out by connecting my phone to the network and it definitely is correct, so now i'm baffled.

what can i do? :badpc:

The Error Guy
21-03-2011, 08:35 PM
So the card does not work in another computer?

Try the other computers card in the laptop just to be sure.

Check device manager > networking to see if the card is installed correctly. Also try updating the drivers

Bbear
21-03-2011, 08:56 PM
oh no i havent removed my wireless card, i meant ive taken my laptop to a friend's house to test it on their network but the result is the same, i can't connect.

Though my laptop does recognize and see the wireless network, it won't accept the key and reports it as invalid, even though it is definitely correct ?_?

The Error Guy
21-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, are you able to try another card? if so try that but only if you feel capable.

Just to get stated on troubleshooting/ problem solving i'll just get a few details

What is your operating system, XP vista 7 or another? also do you know what type of security the access point is running eg WPA-2.

also, are you using the windows wireless connect utility or a different 3rd party one.

Lastly, what type of wireless card do you have?

Bbear
21-03-2011, 09:32 PM
thanks for your help , I don't feel capable at this point to try a different wireless card, i'd like to keep that as a last resort.

I'm running windows vista and using the windows wireless connect utility, the card i'm using is a RealTek RTL8187SE

and the security of the access point is WPA-PSK, according to the wireless box