PDA

View Full Version : laptop SD card operation.

tut
20-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi.
I discovered my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop has a card slot. I found a Kodak SD Card out of an old camera and inser:confused:ted it in the slot but nothing happened.
A more knowlegeable friend said that this is a problem with Win7 and that I needed to download a driver.
He gave me a website for a driver and I downloaded and installed something called an 02Microfash Memory Card Driver 3.00 zip
Absolutely nothing happened.

What should I have done?

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Is the card an SDHC card? Is this written on it?

tut
20-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Is the card an SDHC card? Is this written on it?

No, it just has SD card 256MB.

bot
20-03-2011, 05:33 PM
What is the model number of the laptop?

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I would go to the toshiba site and search for the exact model see if the card reader driver is there. If it is download / install. If it still wont work the card or the reader are dead

Nomad
20-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I would assume the card reader gets auto detected by any modern OS (like a USB card reader).

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Should it should appear in device manager

PinoyKiw
20-03-2011, 06:49 PM
On my wife's laptop, inserting the card brings it up in My Computer as a additional hard drive, just like you see a thumb drive.

Might not read SD cards, my wife's one reads the bigger CF and I think SDHC cards but not xD either

tut
21-03-2011, 05:08 AM
The laptop is an L300.
I am assuming the card is not an SDHC card as I read this morning that SDHC cards start at 4gb.
I have tried the Toshiba sites and several other. Found what I thought might be a suitable driver but when trying to install get an error message,
'Error occured in creating folder [119]'
I am rapidly gettting out of my depth here (Stop sniggering) so think the best thing to do is to take it to my tame techie and let him try to figure it out.
Aeroplanes I understand. Computers are somtimes just too much for this tired old brain.

Still open to any other suggestions you might have, my tame techie lives in another town so have time for some more playing around before I visit him.

Thanks for the replies so far. Each one adds to my knowledge base.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Look on the toshiba site just in case. Theres like 20 L300's on the site. You'll have to see if there's any letters after the L300. Like SP6993A

wratterus
21-03-2011, 09:38 AM
The whole L300 series have SD and Memory Stick Readers. Some of the older ones even did XD.

When I installed Win7 on my A100 it installed the drivers automatically. If you want to have a look for the latest driver go here (http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/download), and run through the options. You'll find the model # on the bottom.