PDA

View Full Version : Buying from

QW.
19-03-2011, 05:02 PM
What are PB Tech like to buy from? Are they any good?

SP8's
19-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Used them down here a few times and found them OK ... prices are "average" and service is pretty good and reasonable range of products. Only thing I don't know about is if something goes wrong and you need to get refund or replacement, although, a friend had to do this and they were very obliging and apologetic ... can't see them wanting to get a bad name by not so.

pctek
19-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Retailer Ranking:
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/297771/?

PBTech have crap service.

QW.
20-03-2011, 04:03 PM
So I should stay away from PBTech?

John H
20-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I used their email link on their website two days ago to ask a sales enquiry. Still waiting for an acknowledgement. With Ascent, I would have had a reply almost before I sent the enquiry.

kahawai chaser
20-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I had to return a Microsoft keyboard, as some keys did not work. They replaced instantly, and now some other keys don't work. The whole Manukau store looks and feels like a storage farm barn, piles of accessories stacked up.

CYaBro
20-03-2011, 06:37 PM
As a wholesaler with PB Tech their service has been excellent.
When I have to return something for credit, like when the part is no longer needed, they are always happy to take it back.
When I've had a faulty item, only happened once so far, they sent a replacement before I even returned the faulty item.

Not sure how you would get on as an end user however, pctek's link would suggest not so well.

plod
20-03-2011, 07:32 PM
As a wholesaler with PB Tech their service has been excellent.
When I have to return something for credit, like when the part is no longer needed, they are always happy to take it back.
When I've had a faulty item, only happened once so far, they sent a replacement before I even returned the faulty item.

Not sure how you would get on as an end user however, pctek's link would suggest not so well.

that link is also 4 years old

inphinity
20-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I've had pretty good experience with them over the years. Good prices - though certainly not always the best - backed up by reasonable service. The biggest issue I've ever had was a language barrier - I've encountered a lot of their staff who are either difficult to understand, or who lack a competent understanding of english, or both.

sarel
21-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Bought that IDE converter for my PC off Ascent last week - b*gger they are fast. I queried adelivery date and had the reply in frickin minutes.

sarel

pctek
21-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Badly.
I had to buy on behalf of someone not too long ago.
What a mission. Went on and on for ages, no apologies, no info, no-one bothering to contact me.
God only knows what happens if her itme develops a problem later.

I'd skip it and go somewhere known for after sales service.

As an end user and not a wholesaler............

8ftmetalhaed
21-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I bought all the parts on my pc case, and just last week some ram for my laptop.
I did have a router from them that I returned for my current belkin (lol didn't know at the time) and they returned it but did try to say that it was probably my fault.
I insisted that I return it anyway and they let me do so.

Doesn't help that alot of the people there are asian and don't speak proper english.

If I had the patience to wait for postage and all that I'd gladly swap them for computer lounge or ascent.
Mightyape are pretty good, I've had to return a few things and the time they sent me a keyboard with a ps/2 connector over a usb one they were happy to return it but I asked for a $5 voucher instead and they gave me one.
In returning an OCZ mouse though they sent me one that was $20 more expensive which also then broke and it took a bit of talking to get that one refunded at the price of the first one.

But yeah mightyape are good at what they do. Not so much components but stuff like monitors and games and everything else, they're beautiful.

QW.
22-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Guess I had better look else where to buy from.

John H
22-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I used their email link on their website two days ago to ask a sales enquiry. Still waiting for an acknowledgement. With Ascent, I would have had a reply almost before I sent the enquiry.

I am still waiting for a reply to my website email sales enquiry! Needless to say I have bought elsewhere. :annoyed:

jareemon
22-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I like ascent because prices are reasonable, and include gst and (usually overnight) postage so there are no ugly surprises when you get to the online checkout.

:pf1mobmini:

Gobe1
22-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I like ascent because prices are reasonable, and include gst and (usually overnight) postage so there are no ugly surprises when you get to the online checkout.

:pf1mobmini:

100% always my first port of call

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I have accounts with PBtech. Never had an issue with them, both in-person and ordering online.

Good pricing too! :)

dugimodo
22-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I find the Hamilton store quite good to deal with. I think they may be slightly seperate though as they have a different website (pbtechnz.com) and prices aren't always the same.

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Their pricing should be? Unless you have a dealer account with one, but not another? Each branch technically operates semi-independently...

Snorkbox
22-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I used to get a discount from the Hamilton shop but not the one at Penrose when fronting in person.

These days I use Ascent.

ShiroHagen
22-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I go to the Queen Street branch and I would say service ain't the best but it suits me as I prefer to browse alone and not have some eager salesperson intercept me at the door and ask if I need any help!

Prices are about average, however on the odd occasion (like this Friday) they have wholesale price sales so I'll drop by and see if I can catch a bargain.

Haven't had any returns nor online issues so can't comment on that but I would say they are worth a look at least.

ruup
23-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Ok to buy from,had to make a return...Very Slow to refund.I will not trade again with them.