PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan is too Loud

lostsoul62
19-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I go into the BIOS and no matter what I do under POWER and set the fan to any speed or anything it won't do anything to the fan speed. Is there anyway to slow this fan down because it is screeming.

Rod J
19-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Not all fans can be controlled this way. Mine can't either. Apparently there needs to be four wires connecting the fan (not 3 or less) for fan speed control to work.

Also, I wonder why it is screaming? If it's an old fan the bearing might be worn out and they do make a bit of noise.

lostsoul62
19-03-2011, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Rod J;1002205]Not all fans can be controlled this way. Mine can't either. Apparently there needs to be four wires connecting the fan (not 3 or less) for fan speed control to work.

I didn't know that. At least I feel better knowing what the problem is. My fan has 3 wires so I'm wondering should I go and buy a fan with 4 wires. The motherboard manual looks like a 4 prong for 4 wires. The computer is only 2 weeks old and has always been like this. I'm just wondering if there is a way to phyicaly do something to the fan to slow it down?

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Cant say Ive seen any fans with 4 wires. Only CPU fans have 4 wires. Or buy a fan controller. Just dont turn it off completely once you install it

dugimodo
19-03-2011, 06:09 PM
3 wire fans can be controlled, they just cant use pwm. CPU fans used to be 3 wire, now they are 4. Either way the motherboard should be able to control them. What kind of motherboard and CPU, stock heatsink and fan or aftermarket ?

lostsoul62
19-03-2011, 06:15 PM
3 wire fans can be controlled, they just cant use pwm. CPU fans used to be 3 wire, now they are 4. Either way the motherboard should be able to control them. What kind of motherboard and CPU, stock heatsink and fan or aftermarket ?

I found out that my 4 wire CPU fan was put on a 3 prong on my motherboard not giving me access to my BOIS setting for my fan speed so I move it to the CPU 4 prong on my motherboard and now I can change the fan speed and now it is quit and not driving me crazy.

wainuitech
19-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Bit surprising that you didn't get warning about no CPU fan - with many motherboards unless the CPU fan is actually plugged into the CPU fan Header, they kick up a real stink / warnings.

lostsoul62
20-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Bit surprising that you didn't get warning about no CPU fan - with many motherboards unless the CPU fan is actually plugged into the CPU fan Header, they kick up a real stink / warnings.

Your right. I'm a computer teckie of 63 and for $60 I just let Fry's Electronics put the thing together so I don't have to go back and forth. It did warm me about my CPU fan and I took it back up to the tech and they look into the BIOS and said it oks now. That was a load of crap so if you want anything done right just do it yourself.

pctek
20-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Your right. I'm a computer teckie of 63 . It did warm me.
now it is quit .

You're.
Warn.
Quiet.