PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC

02-10-2001, 04:49 PM
I am considering getting a new PC at the end of this year. After looking at many online and written resources, I have decided to build my own. I have a few technical questions:

1. This one is in regard to CPU cooling. I see that all AMD and P4 chips are sold with a fan. Are these fans already connected to the processor? Or do I have to put in on myself? I am looking to invest in another quality fan (preferably Global Win or Thermaltake) to replace the one that comes with the CPU. Is this necessary?

2. About Anti-static discharge. To touch the components I have to 'ground' myself first. When I wear a wrist strap and start construction, I am told I am supposed to touch the cover of my system case. Am I meant to leave the power plug in the wall while I do this so that it is grounded? But isn't that dangerous as well? Other than an anti-static strap, what other anti-static accesories should I purchase to ensure that I won't zap my CPU and other components?

Anyone who has experience or has built their own before, please provide any advice or personal experiences. Since this is my first time building, I don't want to have a few thousand 'go down the drain' cause of carelessness...

Thanks for all advice...

neoslimdog

02-10-2001, 06:56 PM
I do not know about the CPU fan however I found many people do add additional fans to reduce the temperature. It can get pretty hot in there without adequate cooling. If after installing the new CPU the temperature is sitting around 60 degrees or higher, install an additional fan (you should be able to get some software that will tell you what temperature the CPU is running at).

Regarding the antistatic strap, you should always turn off and unplug the computer before commencing any work. Many new computers still carry power even when turned off using the PC's power button.

02-10-2001, 07:19 PM
The heatsink/fan is seperate from the CPU. And the standard ones aren't very good, so getting a better one would be a good idea.

The hardware sites have good reviews and how-to guides, try:

www.arstechnica.com
www.anandtech.com
www.tomshardware.com

02-10-2001, 08:01 PM
If you have the space, it's not a bad idea to consider building a simple workbench or a work area with a power supply in the form of a multiway power board connected to a power point. Providing you take CARE you can take an earth connection from the power board using a 3 pin plug with a wire connected to the EARTH pin.
Your wrist strap can be connected to this wire. There is in fact a high resistance built into the strap for safety.
Electronics suppliers like Dick Smith have anti-static sheets to go on your work surface, as well as wrist straps. When the sheet is connected to earth it is then safe to place components like ram or circuit boards on the sheet without fear of them being zapped.
A supply of anti-static bags is also a useful thing to have so that parts can be popped safely inside.
Avoid wearing some synthetic fabrics like nylon that generate static electricity.

02-10-2001, 09:03 PM
Thanks heaps... do you guys knwo some place around NZ that does have a good supply of parts at reasonable prices? I found heaps on the web, but most of those companies have very limited products. There were only a few that LOOKED good... (Ascent, Upgrade Technologies, Computer Pulse)

Has anyone purchased from these shops? And if so, what are your impressions?

Next, onto the case... I'm looking for a mid or full tower that has LOTS of room for expansion. What are some models that you've used that you recommend? Cost for it is not such a big thing, and aluminium looks good... :) Any suggestions? (and also possibly where it can be bought)...

Thanks
neoslimdog (online nickname)

03-10-2001, 06:47 AM
I've always worked on the understanding that the computer should be left pluged into the wall, but turned off, so that the chassis is still earthed. Then when you touch the chassis before touching any components, you will discharge the static electricity in your body.

03-10-2001, 09:21 AM
useing a stacic strap and pads is the professional way to do it. haveing the power lead pluged in and power turned off is the poor mans way of doing it. ok for small repairs and single home pc build. if you are one of those people who regulaly get zapped from static then you will have to use a stactic strap.

i find it strange that many 'pro' computer people don't use either method :-(