PDA

View Full Version : Best Laptop wireless 'net connection?

sarum
18-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I've a friend with a laptop, and no 'phone line. So no ISP. I thought that she needs a USB thing(like Vodem); there's loads of them for sale on TradeMe, which might indicate that there's something better else where.
Her vodafone reception isn't too good where she lives,so she has a 2* 'phone as well. Like me, is elderly and not too well off, and just wants to e-mail and so on(no big down loads);and not much away from home.
My question is, what is cheaper. a. a plug in thing: b. get a land line, that she'll not use. I think this is a question for an accountant , thanks.....sarum

Nomad
19-03-2011, 01:26 PM
This is just my opinion.

If Vodafone is not that great, go to a shop like DSE which has a 100% no questions 2 week policy and try out a Telecom XT stick.

IMO, there is not gonna be a huge difference if the Vodafone handset is already struggling.

I have a Vodafone handset, when connected to the computer when our ADSL was down I had no issues but then again I live in a suburban area with full reception strength.

I think the XT stick can be used with 2D/Voda simcards but not the other way round. You could always pop in your Voda simcard and then buy a $5 blank 2D simcard and try that out.

IMO, but I still think you should invest that $5. I think 2 Degrees reception is pretty good in the main areas but if you go to the lesser areas I don't think 2D has deployed enough towers out. In my experience that is. I go to Vic Uni part time. Outside some of the larger main lecture theatres I cannot get a reception at all but if I walk 10m towards the main road I get full strength but Voda is full strength everywhere there. This is assuming you in the main centres, as 2D only have towers in those.

Nomad
19-03-2011, 01:28 PM
The min cost for a landline is ~ $40 (line) + $30 for the most basic plan. 3GB data.

If the person does only email and no big attachments, you could just get a $30 plan that gives 300MB on a prepay basis.

Erayd
19-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I think 2 Degrees reception is pretty good in the main areas but if you go to the lesser areas I don't think 2D has deployed enough towers out.They have their own towers in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch & Queenstown. Outside of those areas they use Vodafone's network to provide coverage, but data costs a lot more when going via Vodafone ($6/50MB or $10/100MB). Calls cost the same no matter where you are.

In my experience that is. I go to Vic Uni part time. Outside some of the larger main lecture theatres I cannot get a reception at all but if I walk 10m towards the main road I get full strength but Voda is full strength everywhere there.This is because Vodafone has a cellsite on campus - the antennae are on each side of the Kirk / Murphy overbridge.

Nomad
19-03-2011, 03:35 PM
They have their own towers in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch & Queenstown. Outside of those areas they use Vodafone's network to provide coverage, but data costs a lot more when going via Vodafone ($6/50MB or $10/100MB). Calls cost the same no matter where you are.

I was meaning within a larger city (which 2D caters for ) like Wellington.
I carry 2 handphones out with me, 2D and Voda.

In my experience 2D may have better reception in the common places but I find that Voda has better overall coverage within the larger cities. 2D in my experience has been more sprodiac (sp). Like when I leave home it's usually full bars for both 2D and Voda but at times 2D may barely get 1 bar until maybe 15 or 45mins later then the bar jumps back to full bars. *Have also tried a phone reboot too ... Happens the city too when I walk down from uni to Courtenay Place bus terminal - I was then sitting in the bus with 1 handphone on each hand looking at each of the signal bar when couple of mins later 2D just jumped.

Erayd
19-03-2011, 04:33 PM
In my experience 2D may have better reception in the common places but I find that Voda has better overall coverage within the larger cities. 2D in my experience has been more sprodiac (sp). Like when I leave home it's usually full bars for both 2D and Voda but at times 2D may barely get 1 bar until maybe 15 or 45mins later then the bar jumps back to full bars. *Have also tried a phone reboot too ... Happens the city too when I walk down from uni to Courtenay Place bus terminal...Interesting - I found the opposite; it's one of the reasons I changed away from Vodafone to 2degrees. I'd be more suspicious of the phones you're using, especially noting how long you say it takes for the signal quality / strength to change.

...I was then sitting in the bus with 1 handphone on each hand looking at each of the signal bar when couple of mins later 2D just jumped.Well obviously if you're in a moving vehicle, the signal levels can change rapidly - particularly when handover between cells occurs. You'll notice the same occurring on Vodafone & XT too. This has little to do with the network, and far more to do with the fact that you're moving through and between cells at a high speed.

Note that different networks' towers aren't always in the same place, so cell handover may occur in different locations.

Nomad
19-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd be more suspicious of the phones you're using, especially noting how long you say it takes for the signal quality / strength to change.

The newer phone is with 2D which struggles for reception at times. Nokia E75.
The older phone works fine. Nokia 6230, a 5yr old phone :confused:

A few times I have done a reboot to no avail and I have changed simcards when I was just sitting outside (not moving). The Voda simcard just registered full bars, while the 2D had 0 or 1 or 2 bars.

To the OP:
Personally I would just try out diff simcards to see what works, DSE has a great return policy too. If you get the XT sticks they work with all 3 cell providers but the 2D or Voda only work with those 2 (not XT).

Just bear in mind if you do intend to use the net outside the 4 or 5 :confused: big cities 2D will be v expensive. XT/Voda may be your better bet.

If they all don't work that well there is a $70 solution via ADSL - 3GB plan with landline. Don't think you should consider Naked ADSL cos that tend to be more overall as it is FS/FS (for a low user like yourself).

IMHO I might use a XT stick. I might just test all 3 cell providers. You or your friend have Voda so test that first does it work ok? If not pop in a 2D simcard as it's only $5. Test that. Then if no avail pick up a XT simcard at $30 isn't it .. test that. IMO I would just go with those results, I just think that any networks gets weird stuff .... and I guess we just put up with them .....

sarum
19-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for your replies. The Dick Smith 'try out' must be the best solution. I think I/we were hoping for a 'hack' Too many years as a Linux user(free,free,free). I'm old and retired and no geek, but I can not think why some of my grandkids and friends........
I suppose its a small part of their budget/it works...why change; why bother to save, not very much. I'm off topic - it happens when you get to a certain age...sarum
PS Thanks for replies.

sarum
20-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I think that me and her have agreed - after reading all your replies; that the solution is for her to bring her laptop 'round here and use my ISP for her updates and so on. I never use my 3 GB limit. Thanks again for Press F1