PDA

View Full Version : Zip an .avi file to a CD

02-10-2001, 05:08 PM
I have an .avi file (size 3.5GB) that I want to WinZip to a CD, if possible. After the file is 'Zipped' I get the message 'No Zip file, bad Zip file or part of a spanned Zip file' when I point the mouse over the new Zipped icon. Is this file too large to Zip? What would be the largest pre-Zip file I could copy to a CD?

02-10-2001, 05:27 PM
My guess would be that it is too big to zip.

ZIP doesn't do a constant level of compression. Some stuff, eg plain text compresses very well.

If the AVI has already been compressed, then the zip is going to be able to do very little further comppression, prehaps 2%.

If you want to fit it on CD, you could try compressing it with DIVX. Its the most common format for ripped DVDs, which is what I assume your file is.

02-10-2001, 05:50 PM
I don't think you're gonna be able to zip a 3.5gb file onto a 660mb CD (I think that's the capacity of most CDs)... Winzip will allow you to span the file, so you could save the file as 3 or 4 600mb files or whatever, and put it on a few CDs. Winzip isn't going to be able to compress the file down very much.

02-10-2001, 09:28 PM
Peter, I have been getting exactly the same error occur on zipped files when trying to burn them to CD. I still haven't had a satisfactory answer on what is causing this (valued suggestions were 'unzip then burn it'!!! - kinda defeats the purpose.), but it's happening on every winzip file I try and burn, no matter what the size (have tried 3mb to 46mb!).
I am going through a process of elimination (I have reformatted Hard Drive, reloaded everything, including winzip from a different source etc). To check the CD writer was ok, I installed it on my brothers PC, it worked fine. Just awaiting to get it back now to reinstall on my system, then I'll retry. I should get a result this weekend.

09-10-2001, 12:56 AM
Peter, seems to have cured my problem. As I did so many things, I'm unsure which specific procedure fixed it (I reformatted cause i was getting several other probs!)
Anyway, try process of elimination. Uninstall winzip & reload from a different source first.

15-10-2001, 05:43 PM
Mike. Thanx for ur suggestion re Spanning a Zip file. What a wonderful idea!
Best regards, Peter.

15-10-2001, 05:59 PM
b m. Hi. Thanx for your help re Ziped .avi file. My file is a DV production of 'captured' photos and 35mm slides, hence the huge size. I think I am just being too ambitious to ever Zip this project unles I 'Span' it to several CDs.
Best regards, Peter.