PDA

View Full Version : VGA cable blues

linw
18-03-2011, 03:59 PM
For months, having various problems with older XP system located in the bar of a club I belong to. I have referred to this one before. Mostly, I bring it home and it is fine! Hardware can be thrashed. Memtest fine etc.

Faults like no video at monitor, hard to set up two monitors (projector), corrupted system drive, data drive set as system drive etc. Over time it has been a real PITA X 2.

Couple of weeks ago I registered that it was using an extension VGA cable to the monitor (the box was up high on a shelf). We rearranged it so that the ext cable was dispensed with.

Since then it has been stable (fingers crossed!!).

My reasoning is that 'no video' was caused by a weak signal. This led to thinking the vid card had gone bad or the PC had crashed. So the PC got switched off. Several of these may have corrupted the C: drive.

At home, was OK as no ext cable.

Pretty weird, eh. It was certainly driving us nuts.

forrest44
18-03-2011, 04:50 PM
lol I remember I chucked out a perfectly good motherboard once, only to find the same problems on the next one, turned out my harddrive was causing hard lockups!! very strange what can happen sometimes...

BBCmicro
18-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I did a silly thing in Daemon Tools once. I knew it was wrong the instant I did it, and I lost cursor movement.

Nothing worked so I re-installed from an image. But the problem was still there!

Turned out the mouse battery had died...

linw
18-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Keep 'em coming!!

8ftmetalhaed
18-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Tried building my new PC (one in sig) and couldn't figure out why the cpu fan wouldn't stay on. I pressed the clips in, and twisted the pins. Yet it kept coming out. Turns out they are auto locking. At some point I might need some new thermal grease, hah. At the moment though it's alright. (didn't turn it on or shift it much so integrity wasn't really affected)

Yeah.

I've also done the whole 'oh god why isn't this thing working.... oh it's not plugged in' thing.

Also spent about 30 minutes trying to fix my ex's friends rockband setup, reasoning they had a broken drumkit (buttons worked, drums not) and explained how to warranty it.
Then I noticed the ps2 was plugged into a dvd player. Turned out it was causing major input lag, making the ps2 signal all nice and 1080p then outputting it to a crt. (and so likely then scaling it back down, HAH)

Agent_24
19-03-2011, 01:14 AM
My reasoning is that 'no video' was caused by a weak signal. This led to thinking the vid card had gone bad or the PC had crashed. So the PC got switched off. Several of these may have corrupted the C: drive.

I think you'd need quite a long cable before you had issues with a weak signal.

I have used rather long extension cables with VGA myself and the result is a working but usually crappy picture (with ghosting etc)

I think it's more likely the cable was faulty.

8ftmetalhaed
19-03-2011, 01:37 AM
or ultra crappy. Like those asian shops. I bought headphones from them once and they gave me hearing aids.
They were so quiet and the connector was solid plastic on the outside and they were almost as bad as the blown pair they replaced.

If not worse. Somehow.

I assume vga cables could be the same.

Agent_24
19-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, or that. Cheap cables are certainly a good way to ruin an otherwise good signal.