PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new sandybridge build

dugimodo
18-03-2011, 10:47 AM
You think I'd learn, I build a 1366 based pc when they were new and had no end of problems (faulty XFX motherboard). Now I've built a sandybridge machine and the trouble has started again.

The new PC randomly locks up, usually with digtal noise spewing out of the speakers. It can run all night stable or it can crash within minutes. I have also had it just turn off without warning. When it freezes there is no blue screen it just stops responding and displays whatever was on the screen at the time. I have had 1 bluescreen - 0x0000001e 0x000000 0x000000 0x000000 but not sure that's useful as it's the odd one out off the crashes.

Also if I leave it unattended and it goes into standby it will not wake up and has to be rebooted, all the crashes also corrupted windows.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
i5 2500K
8G DDR3 dual channel corsair RAM
Palit GTX460 x 2 in SLI
Ccorsair TX850 PSU
WD black 1 TB hdd

what I have tried so far:
Re-installed windows (twice!)
looked for new drivers from gigabyte
removed 2nd video card
updated audio driver from realtek site
Flashed BIOS from F1 to F2
Ran memtest overnight - no errors
Ran Prime 95 for an hour - 74 degree max temp and stable
Rand Furmark for ~ 30 mins, 82 degrees max temp
disabled GTX460's HD audio device

the motherboard CPU & RAM are all new, the rest was working fine on my old rig set up much the same as it is now. It's been suggested I disable onboard sound and see if that helps so that's my next step but I don't expect it to prove much. I'm also contemplating setting up XP on a spare drive to see if that runs more stable in an attempt to prove if it's software or hardware.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm about ready to spit the dummy and RMA this thing

wainuitech
18-03-2011, 10:52 AM
First thing I'd be doing is change the WD black 1 TB hdd -- There have been countless problems with the Black WD's.:2cents:

Personally I have had several fail on customers machines (new), or give all sorts of weird events, change them to blues and never had the problem return.

if you have a look at the reliability history, that may give a few more clues . Click Start, type in reli, open View reliability History - where theses been crashes or problems it will be listed, click on the red circle with white x and it will hopefully tell you what happened.

I'm also contemplating setting up XP on a spare drive to see if that runs more stable in an attempt to prove if it's software or hardware.
Wont work or give an accurate result :groan: You are changing two things, the HDD and software - if its all OK, which was the problem ?? Hard Drive or OS ???

Change one or the other - not both.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Wasnt the P67 chipset, the chipset that was affected with this Sandybridge prob?? This uses a P67 chipset by the looks of it

dugimodo
18-03-2011, 11:32 AM
the -B3 is the new fixed version, I waited for that to build this

wainuitech
18-03-2011, 11:33 AM
They were all recalled, so by rights unless a person has the older versions it wont be a problem.

The problem according to several articles is on SATA ports 3-6 -so if you only used ports 1,2 then it wont be a problem.

The new Replacement boards have a version Code B3 As explained here (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/249468,how-to-identify-a-fixed-sandy-bridge-motherboard.aspx).

Just checked on a new gigabyte H67 board I got for a build, its running fine, and is the New B3.

dugimodo
18-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Wont work or give an accurate result :groan: You are changing two things, the HDD and software - if its all OK, which was the problem ?? Hard Drive or OS ???

Change one or the other - not both.
hmmm, good point. I wasnt considering the drive as a possibility as it's around 6 months old and what are the odds it decided to fail the week I built a new pc

also regarding reliabilty history, all it shows at this point is 4 instances of windows improperly shutdown - since re-install 2 days ago

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh ok then. Get this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Install it / run it. What files are highlighted? It may also say what files are causing this crash

wainuitech
18-03-2011, 11:38 AM
hmmm, good point. I wasnt considering the drive as a possibility as it's around 6 months old and what are the odds it decided to fail the week I built a new pc
I'd still change it, even if you then install W7 on another drive.

I've had the Blacks fail anywhere from 1 day to 4 months.

If you change the drive and it still does it, at least you have eliminated it. Changing more than 1 thing at a time doesn't actually tell you what was the problem.

Ain't Fault finding fun :D

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2011, 11:46 AM
The realtek drivers are probably worse than the Win7 audio driver.

Here, the realtek drivers were as bad as the ASUS audio drivers. Turn it right up, it sounded like the volume was only up 1/2 way

The Windows driver are actually louder than the manufacturer's drivers

dugimodo
18-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh ok then. Get this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Install it / run it. What files are highlighted? It may also say what files are causing this crash

I'll give it a whirl tonight or over the weekend but I am not expecting much, it only bluescreened once and that was prior to reinstalling windows.Usually it just freezes, completely locked up, so it's not getting to the bluescreen stage.

dugimodo
19-03-2011, 12:29 PM
ok tried bluescrren viewer, it's just empty so I guess there is no blue screen data since my last install, been at least 4 crashes though.

I tried another hard drive and installed XP pro x64 on it, crashed while trying to install anti virus software, crashed while installing updates, Gave up and went back to 7. (I had intended to move 7 onto another drive also but the repair disk refuses to look on the drive where I stored the image so I have to move it and try again).

I just moved the hard drive onto a diff sata port and cable (yeah I know 2 things at once again) and am waiting to see if it crashes again, I also have prime 95 running in the background at the moment.

On a weird possibly related note, If I use the XMP in the bios it correctly sets my RAM to the 1600 8 8 8 24 2T 1.5 settings it's rated at and memtest works fine but on boot the BIOS insists that windows has failed to boot due to overclocking and sets it back to 1333 9 9 9 24 as per the SPD. I'm wondering if this is just it noticing that it has failed to start in the past and making assumptions or if something weird is going on.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Are the dmp files in the default folder?? You didnt move them did you?

dugimodo
19-03-2011, 03:07 PM
no moved nothing, there are no dump files. As I said it's only actually bluescreened once and I've reinstalled windows since then. It just completely freezes as opposed to bluescreening.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Well obviously it wont be there, if you formatted after :p

dugimodo
19-03-2011, 06:17 PM
running 9 hours today and no crashes, fingers crossed. Is it possible the SATA 3 ports don't work well with older drives ? these are the ones that were NOT part of the sandybridge problem and this board is the updated version anyway.

All I've done is swapped the cables from the system drive and one of the data drives and it seems to be stable. Will take days to be sure though as it initially ran 3 days ok.

Maybe the cable wasn't seated properly? I dont know but it's a new cable of the locking type that came with the board.

dugimodo
20-03-2011, 02:09 PM
ok so no joy, going to send it back to CL.

I turned off all the power management so it wouldn't sleep and left it idiling overnight, according to task manager I left running and onscreen it locked up after 4.5 hours. (frozen but I can read what was on the screen at the time)

This morning after reboot it locks up much more frequently, maybe something is gradually warming up but in any case a pc that can't sit idle without locking up is no good to anyone.

SolMiester
21-03-2011, 11:03 AM
PC lockups are usually memory related, check memory is on the compatibility sheet for the Mobo.
As for the P67 bug, that is SATA2 related and the issue is a I/O degrade of throughput, nothing else...

dugimodo
22-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks but I've given up and am sending it back. Memtest ran for 6.5 hours without problem and if the memory isn't compatible that's computer lounges fault as I paid them the $50 to precheck for compatibility etc.

In the end I discovered if I disable windows power management and leave it idling it locks up at some point, leaving task manager running let me see how long - usually within a couple hours. This leads me to believe it's not stress or heat related.

dugimodo
28-03-2011, 09:19 AM
OK update: CL replaced the motherboard, very good service. Now however I'm feeling guilty because it hasn't fixed the problem :(

SO starting over I removed all but 1 hard drive - an older seagate 500 that's been very reliable, installed an ATI HD4850 to eliminate the graphics card, and started from scratch.

Installed and updated XP home which then ran for approx 12 hours with no crashes.
Spent all day sunday installing and updating XP pro x64, then 64 bit Windows 7 - no crashes during this process.
Left Win 7 running overnight - 9.5 hours later it crashed the same as before !! :( :(

I'm thinking it's a driver or windows update causing the freezes but I'm at a loss as to how to prove it, my theory that it was the Nvidia driver was blown out of the water as it is now running an ATI card on a clean install.

I haven't changed the PSU so I guess I should try that too, but it was stable on the previous build and it certainly isn't being loaded any more on this one.

Would it be worth disabling the onboard sound, could that be the culprit for system freezes ?

I'm also planning on trying memtest again, it did run error free overnight but as the PC freezes so randomly it could take a very long time to show up.

wainuitech
28-03-2011, 09:50 AM
One long way to tell if its a updated driver issue - its a PITA way, but it should work -- Reinstall the OS fron scratch - DONT install any drivers other than the ones that come within windows - dont go on the internet -- leave it running - If its hardware, it will freeze again, if its drivers it shouldn't.

OR start the PC in safe mode and leave it running. Safe mode will only load in the default drivers in windows.

You can also try Burnin Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm) - start the PC normally, install and under the configuration or test options (cant rember off hand the exact location)/ Test Configuration and Duty Cycles - untick items not required, set everything to max - this will really give the System Hell for about 15 minutes. It may weed out any problems. See Bottom Screen shot for options (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit_screenshot.htm)

Agent_24
28-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Try a Linux CD?

That could be a good way to test drivers without reinstalling

dugimodo
28-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Try a Linux CD?

That could be a good way to test drivers without reinstalling

well thankyou, but I'd still be left with no Idea of the cause other than "something to do with windows" I really want to resolve this in windows if at all possible.

The biggest problem is it takes so long to test every time I try something, I need 24 hours crash free before I will start to think it's fixed.

Currently it's idling with onboard sound disabled, unless it crashes in the mean time there's a day gone while I wait :(

Agent_24
28-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah unfortunately troubleshooting problems like this just plain sucks, but it's the only way...

wainuitech
28-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Did you run that burnin test I suggested in my previous Post ?

That program makes the whole computer and all its components work at once under a load. Sometimes I have actually had components fail (Bad RAM or graphic Card) when testing it found the problem though :D

dugimodo
28-03-2011, 03:20 PM
haven't had a chance yet, will run it tonight. I also found a forum post where several people describe identical symptoms cause by MSSE so I may try a different antivirus as well.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Is Easytune on this?? If it is remove it, it can cause that 0x0000001e stop error on gigabyte mobos

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Is or was Easytune installed?

dugimodo
29-03-2011, 06:26 AM
easytune was installed one time of the many installs, it isn't this time.
Burn in test passed several runs.
disabling onboard sound didn't work.
removing msse didn't work.
running in safe mode 9 hours and counting, if it stays up I'm running out of Ideas.

network drivers ?
RAM even though it passed memtest?
PSU even though I don't think it's faulty ?

Ideas ?

SolMiester
29-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Have you confirm the Memory is on the compatiblilty guide yet!.....what size are the modules?, install and setup with only 2GB, are all the slots full when all ram installed.....is the system crashing or locking up?....crashing with BSOD is driver related, lock up and freezing memory related!

wainuitech
29-03-2011, 10:31 AM
crashing with BSOD is driver related, lock up and freezing memory related!
Not always.

Got a PC here at the moment, lockes up every 5-10 minutes, it has buggered SATA ports on the board, the drive loses contact and the whole thing locks up solid - nothing to do with memory.

If I put the HDD on a workshop PC it runs fine,(has the same Gigabyte board G31) cloned the drive to a IDE, and that runs fine on the customers board.

A BSOD is caused by one of two things - Drivers or hardware faults - its a matter of finding which is causing the problem.

Agent_24
29-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Not always but more often than not.

Still, tell that to my Laptop, would randomly BSOD with all sorts of rubbish, replaced the RAM and it was fine.

Whats worse, the bad RAM passed memtest without a problem.....

SolMiester
29-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Not always.

Got a PC here at the moment, lockes up every 5-10 minutes, it has buggered SATA ports on the board, the drive loses contact and the whole thing locks up solid - nothing to do with memory.

If I put the HDD on a workshop PC it runs fine,(has the same Gigabyte board G31) cloned the drive to a IDE, and that runs fine on the customers board.

A BSOD is caused by one of two things - Drivers or hardware faults - its a matter of finding which is causing the problem.

Well yes, hardware fault is a given for a lockup, however MS Technet states 99% of software BSOD is driver related..
I was just trying to steer the issue from lock up or BSOD and what is the main cause of such issues.

dugimodo
29-03-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8.html is the RAM, no it's not on the list but the corsair site says it's compatible.

It is one of my prime suspects though, and no I haven't tried a single RAM chip yet. Everything I try takes so bloody long to prove :(

Safe mode ran 12 hours without crashing, not 100% proof but I stopped it there. XP hasn't crashed on me when I left it overnight but then it only addresses 3.xx G of RAM

I have been googling all week, today a different search "sandy bridge windows 7 64 bit random freezes" found me dozens of threads from ASUS and Gigabyte and Intel users with identical isues, from there I have got a few hints so today I have:

Disabled onboard LAN controller
Disabled UBS3 Controller
Bumped the memory Voltage from 1.5 to 1.56 (smallest step)

So sitting idling using a wireless LAN adapter and we'll see what happens. If it's stable till tommorrow morning I'll try reversing these one by one.

If not I'll try the RAM individually, yeah I know it probably should have been one of the first things but as memtest ran overnight without faulting I discounted RAM as a possibilty.

Snorkbox
29-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm groping here but have you tried the memory tester in Win 7?

wainuitech
29-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Personally I dont think its the RAM- reasoning being, its running OK in safe mode, so the RAM is still being used. (One possibility - the one you linked to, a single 8GB Module - Just checked Gigabytes memory listing and they all show 4 & 2 GB, no single 8GB ? ) Only way to find out, remove it and try another smaller DIMM. "usually" it would play up quickly, not wait several hours at idle though.

I think its more of a driver issue (doesn't crash in safe mode) - did you install the Drivers from the DVD that came wth the board?

If so you may want to try looking at gigabytes site, I have just had a gander, and there are a couple of latest drivers all around Feb this year - they may contain fixes, esp the chipset.

dugimodo
29-03-2011, 12:17 PM
It's not an 8GB chip it's a pair of 4GB in a dual channel kit

Yes I have tried updating drivers and bios files from Gigabytes website, also tried a realtek sound driver from their site. The drivers on the CD is where I originally started from.

Among things I plan to try is steal A 3GB triple channel set from my other PC and use 2G of it to see what happens.

Some forum posts suggest the intel sata drivers so that's something else after my current tests.Trouble is of all the posts with identical issues there seems to be multiple fixes that work for some people.

My suspicion is it's some kind of compatiblilty or timing issue between the sandybridge chipset and some other piece of hardware or RAM as the only common denominator in the threads I have read is the chipset. I bet it will quietly dissappear sometime in the future with a BIOS or driver release. In the mean time though I need to pin it down to a specific cause before I lose all my hair.

dugimodo
30-03-2011, 07:37 AM
As of this morning 20 hours uptime so touch wood it's looking good. Forgot to mention I also disabled onboard E-stata controller so I have 4 changes to undo one by one to see what caused it:
E-sata
LAN
USB3
Mem Voltage
Starting to think it might be the RAM after all, something I had forgotten was when I initially set it up I enabled XMP and it failed to boot and reset itself to default SPD values which means the RAM has been running at 1333, 9 9 9 24. However the values set by XMP - 1600, 8 8 8 23 are what the RAM is rated at and should have worked.

wainuitech
30-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Hmmm forgot to mention the RAM alterations - tisk tisk.

One thing you should always do if theres a problem - go back to default settings. Its a bit like when people over clock to much and things go unstable and they wonder why.

Looking at the list of changes to sort out, my pick is the Mem voltage first, put it back to what ever the default is. Reason being, if the other board you had did the same thing, unless its a bad batch, whats the chance the other items listed are faulty as well.

dugimodo
30-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I tend to agree, except XMP is a supported feature of both the MB and the RAM and I have been at default settings since well before I started this thread. Also the memory passes memtest at 1.5V which is the default so why it would need 1.56 to work in windows is a mystery, and overvolting it should not be necessary.

I pretty much in desperation disabled everything in the BIOS I could live without, I don't think they are faulty but I do think it could be a driver issue with one of them and turning it off is easier than uninstalling / re-installing drivers.

Leaving it running for at least 8 more hours, then I start reversing the changes. I guess I'll start with the memory Voltage.

Agent_24
30-03-2011, 10:25 AM
For some reason I have this idea that XMP\Overclocker RAM etc was designed to be run at high speed, and that if run at standard JEDEC timings it will be unstable?

SolMiester
30-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I have had a number of boards that put the memory timings and value at wrong setting even though they are running at default.....I have had to force the settings....and usually its the memory voltage...
running at 1333 instead of 1600 is a common occurrence, however Im a little out of the loop now..

Agent_24
30-03-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't really know either, I don't overclock, I'm using the cheapest RAM I could find, DDR3-1333 from eBay which at the time was $70 cheaper than anything in NZ.

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Try this (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656973). Same stop error. It may have something to do with the voltage settings

Altho that applies to the P55 chipset

As one of the posts says:

When all 4 DIMM slots are occupied on a P55 board, as in your case, the QPI/VTT voltage (or IMC voltage) needs to be increased because of the added strain on the memory controller even at an effective / rated DRAM frequency of 667MHz (DDR3-1333; 133 BCLK x 10). The absolute maximum VTT as spec'd by Intel for the i5-700 series chips is 1.40V, so just keep that in mind. You might be able to get by w/ the default 1.05V PCH Core voltage (the P55 chipset), but I would just leave it at 1.14V which is only a .09V increase over the default.

Agent_24
30-03-2011, 01:55 PM
But I think he only has 2 sticks, 2x 4GB....

dugimodo
30-03-2011, 02:16 PM
yes 2 4G, 2 empty slots. I did try swapping them around before this thread started.

25 hours crash free, have reverted back to a previous windows install to avoid activating again ( must be up to around 4 times amazed it worked last time ) and turned the onboard LAN back on, will let it run like that till tomorrow and then try the RAM voltage back to 1.5 again.

As far as I can tell from corsairs webasite and my BIOS the auto setting has set the RAM as per the SPD like it should. However the need to increase the voltage would tend to suggest it's working harder than designed or is faulty.

My suspicion is still that its a problem to do with the way sandybridge interracts with RAM because of all the posts I find with the same issue on other hardware. The Geil forums have a user attributing it to their RAM for example and fixing it by upping the voltage.and over on ASUS forums they are blaming the P67 pro MB.

Random freezes, looping audio, and screeches coming out of the speakers - seemed like I was reading my own problems but the hardware is completely different - except the chipset.....

also read through the posts from speedy's link, sounds intriguing. Perhaps sandybridge has a weak memory controller or is just finicky with RAM, and perhaps 8G in 2 slots is enough load to cause issues, QPI voltage is not the same as the DRAM voltage though right?

Seems the earlier advice to check the supported memory list was on the money, however CL has NONE of the listed memory modules available and neither does PBtech. they have other modules from the same manufacturer though...

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2011, 02:20 PM
True, it looks like that XMP may not be reliable either (when its enabled)

Agent_24
30-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I've never gone by RAM QVL, because like you found yourself, you can't find the RAM for sale, but only time I had problems was if the timings were set wrong or the RAM was DOA.

I have seen a lot of threads where people bought Intel-certified RAM for their AMD system and it gave problems, though.

SolMiester
30-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Thats why I asked about the QVL, I got a ASUS mobo w\ PhIIx4 w\ 2x2Gb and the damn thing would lock, restart, freeze etc. Voltage was incorrect, but it would run correctly either even when overvolted for the correct speed. CL sent me QVL RAM and the problem was solved straight away!
Its like they give you 2 speeds for the RAM, pick what works for you!

dugimodo
31-03-2011, 07:56 AM
I have turned everything back on and just left the RAM voltage as the only change.
Currently on 10 hours uptime so it seems like that's the one. Now that I know what to focus on I may try a few other RAM related settings.

wainuitech
31-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Sounds like it could be the RAM, but like its been mentioned - it may not be faulty, just not completely compatible with the Board.

dugimodo
01-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I have put everything back together as originally built and enabled all the onboard devices again, RAM voltage is still set at 1.56. PC remains stable :)

:thanksguys for all your patience and suggestions

I feel a little sheepish, we started out(me included) suspecting RAM, and after a couple weeks of mucking around trying all kinds of things it turns out to be.... The RAM :groan:

I have a ticket in with corsair support to see what they have to say, this RAM is one of the 3 modules they gaurantee compatible with the non-B3 version of my board.

But as long as it remains stable I don't think I will be messing with it any time soon.

emkquinn
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
So are things still working for you? I have been fighting with the same problem but it takes up to 3 days for the hang. My memory is on the approved list, 2 x 4GB - GSKILL F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH. I also have an identical machine set up with same processor/memory/motherboard that runs flawlessly, but it is just a server so not much graphics. Both machines had the original recalled chipset. I was hopeful that the replacement mother board would fix my issue, but it had not impact.

I have played with BIOS XMP vs auto settings and it doesn't seem to have any impact. I have been using the on-board graphics to drive dual monitors. My latest change is putting in an nvidia card and it has now been running for 24 hours in a stress situation.

Your thoughts that it is a timing or interaction issue between the processor and memory could explain this. Changing from on-board graphics could impact the memory access pattern just enough.

So what is the bottom line for your solution? Was it just changing the voltage of your memory? You still have the original 2x4gb modules? You have been using a discrete graphics card all along, correct?

SolMiester
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I have put everything back together as originally built and enabled all the onboard devices again, RAM voltage is still set at 1.56. PC remains stable :)

:thanksguys for all your patience and suggestions

I feel a little sheepish, we started out(me included) suspecting RAM, and after a couple weeks of mucking around trying all kinds of things it turns out to be.... The RAM :groan:

I have a ticket in with corsair support to see what they have to say, this RAM is one of the 3 modules they gaurantee compatible with the non-B3 version of my board.

But as long as it remains stable I don't think I will be messing with it any time soon.

Is your board B2?....are you not concerned with SATA bug?

dugimodo
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes it's still stable and the only change that made a difference was the memory voltage, bumped up from 1.5V to 1.56V. Other threads I've read had different solutions so it's a wierd one.

Yes discrete graphics the whole time, but not the same one - 2 x GTX 460, tried in SLI and each by itself, also tried an HD4850 - various drivers as well. At one stage I disabled everything non-essential in the BIOS in a fit of frustration.

I have still got the corsair 2x4GB but corsair have suggested I RMA it, haven't quite decided on that one as I'm not convinced it's faulty Then again it won't work at 1600 settings and it should.

If you have two machines are they both using the exact same RAM ? perhaps try swapping it over. My new machine initially ran almost a week before this started happening.

I'm considering getting a kingston hyper X 4G dual channel kit then RMA'ing the corsair RAM -after two weeks of fighting this thing I don't want to disable it while I wait for more RAM

Edit - as for Solmeisters question - my board is the B3 stepping but Corsair don't list it on their site so I used the earlier one to find RAM suggestions - figured the only difference was the SATA fix

SolMiester
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes it's still stable and the only change that made a difference was the memory voltage, bumped up from 1.5V to 1.56V. Other threads I've read had different solutions so it's a wierd one.

Yes discrete graphics the whole time, but not the same one - 2 x GTX 460, tried in SLI and each by itself, also tried an HD4850 - various drivers as well. At one stage I disabled everything non-essential in the BIOS in a fit of frustration.

I have still got the corsair 2x4GB but corsair have suggested I RMA it, haven't quite decided on that one as I'm not convinced it's faulty Then again it won't work at 1600 settings and it should.

If you have two machines are they both using the exact same RAM ? perhaps try swapping it over. My new machine initially ran almost a week before this started happening.

I'm considering getting a kingston hyper X 4G dual channel kit then RMA'ing the corsair RAM -after two weeks of fighting this thing I don't want to disable it while I wait for more RAM

Edit - as for Solmeisters question - my board is the B3 stepping but Corsair don't list it on their site so I used the earlier one to find RAM suggestions - figured the only difference was the SATA fix

Yeah, I ordered the 2x4Gb HyperX for my SB build, and I took great pains to get a combo where the RAM was QVL on an affordable board that was in stock!

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Is your board B2?....are you not concerned with SATA bug?

B3 - Post #4

dugimodo
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
The QVL is a right pain, reading through lists of products comparing the codes is headache inducing! also very hard to find any of them available for my board.

Not to mention that products not on the list may have a product code that differs by one or 2 letters.

But lesson learnt,next time I will be doing what you did and attempting to find a combo that's on the list, how I got mine was simply by picking the board on CL website, then picking combo deal, choosing RAM that looked good on the list....

I did pay CL $50 for a precheck - not sure what they do for it but perhaps they should check the list and at least mention if your selection isn't on it :(

dugimodo
04-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
i5 2500K
8G DDR3 dual channel corsair RAM
Palit GTX460 x 2 in SLI
Ccorsair TX850 PSU
WD black 1 TB hdd

post 1 actually :)

emkquinn
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, exact same memory, same mobo, i7-2600 vs i7-2600k processor. Both on-board graphics but very different usage. My web server, still on the original v1 motherboard runs flawlessly, only rebooting for windows updates. But it just drives a 1280x1024 monitor. My dev machine runs dual monitor 2500x1600 + 1600x1200. As a development machine, the on-board graphics does surprisingly well for this setup and keeps my machines energy consumption at just 35watts. Except possibly this little hang issue.

First I am going to try your trick with the memory voltage.
Next, I'll try swapping memory between the machines.
Lastly, I'll just swap hard drives between the two machines (windows activation might complain since the processor/mobo id's will be different from installation). This will tell me if it is something in the way I use the machines such as the difference in monitor setup or something in the hardware itself. Wouldn't tell me what is wrong but could hugely divide the possibilities.

Thanks for the insights.

SolMiester
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
The QVL is a right pain, reading through lists of products comparing the codes is headache inducing! also very hard to find any of them available for my board.

Not to mention that products not on the list may have a product code that differs by one or 2 letters.

But lesson learnt,next time I will be doing what you did and attempting to find a combo that's on the list, how I got mine was simply by picking the board on CL website, then picking combo deal, choosing RAM that looked good on the list....

I did pay CL $50 for a precheck - not sure what they do for it but perhaps they should check the list and at least mention if your selection isn't on it :(

I think the issue most of the time is the board doesnt know the correct timings and voltages for the RAM (AS not on QVL) and just uses default settings, this leaves the RAM unstable, causes freezing and lockups....however, if you know your way around a BIOS and the umpteen different memory settings, you can set them yourself and get a stable system...

dugimodo
04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
mine were set on auto and used the SPD - I checked them against the RAM specs and they are correct. I still had to increase the voltage to make it stable.

A couple of curious observations though;
in safe mode it didn't freeze
in XP home it didn't freeze
Memtest passed extended tests for over 6 hours
in 64 bit win 7 it froze - makes me wonder if all the prior things are 32 bit and 64 bit windows stresses the RAM more or is less tolerent of minor timing issues.

Not enough testing to be definitive just a speculation.

Agent_24
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
As far as I know the QVL is just a list of memory modules that were tested and found to work, eg: it is not the only RAM that can work.

Any RAM with an SPD is supposed to give the timings to the board, and if on Auto will set the timings properly.

emkquinn
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
dugimodo, just want to say thanks. No guarantees yet as it has only been 26 hours but I think this is the longest my machine has run non-stop yet (actual run time not including sleep time). Changing the RAM voltage to 1.56 exactly as you did is the only thing I changed.

Thanks for all the leg work on this. My only other machine build was several years ago with an AMD setup and I ended up with a similar unexplainable problem. Swapped out everything I could and finally gave up. Swore I'd never build my own machine again, but I couldn't resist. I never would have thought to just change the memory voltage away from the recommended value.

emkquinn
15-04-2011, 03:07 PM
9 days without a reboot! So are there any drawbacks to upping the memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.56? Is this just sucking a little extra power?

SolMiester
15-04-2011, 03:52 PM
9 days without a reboot! So are there any drawbacks to upping the memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.56? Is this just sucking a little extra power?

Dont think there are drawbacks, check the RAM web-site and it will actually state the correct voltage...!
I dont think.06 extra will hurt at any rate, i think they are supposed to go up to 1.65v for 1600 DDR3

dugimodo
15-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Mine is still stable also, corsair suggested RMAing the RAM but after all this I'm not touching it. Anything that doesn't have a tolerance for .06v is poorly designed IMO.

I actually set mine to 1.58 by accident a while ago but it's still going strong.