PDA

View Full Version : WDTV HD Live

nedkelly
17-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I am looking at maybe getting one of these units in the future.
Only problem is that my tv is not near an ethernet cable (or there is one and it was plastered over :mad::mad::mad:) can any one confirm which wireless adapters they have gotten to work?

The Error Guy
17-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Bridge a wireless router, or wait. In a few years they will probably have wireless built in.

or try one of theses (http://www.google.com/search?q=ethernet+over+power&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=obGBTY6QDIaosAPq4cDqAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQzAMwAA&biw=1280&bih=699)

I have no personal experience with WD Live

nedkelly
17-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I totally forgot about ethernet over power

The Error Guy
18-03-2011, 07:53 AM
We all forget something. some of my forgets have had serious results :p

Reminds me of your sig :D

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 07:58 AM
There's some specific Linksys and a few other ones that they list in the Manual.

Personally I have a WDTV Live and an ACRyan PlayOn media player, and I got the Wifi dongle for the PlayOn.
I'd go for the PlayOn over the WDTV, unless you specifically wanna get into custom firmware and doing funky things on your WDTV like having it run torrents for you etc

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=DVAACR7305&name=AC-Ryan-Playon!HD-Mini-Full-HD-Network-Media-Playe
And this:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=DVAACR7311&name=AC-Ryan-Playon-Wireless-N-300mbps-Wireless-Dongle-

nedkelly
18-03-2011, 08:24 AM
so the playon is better?

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Hard to say if it's better, but I must say it's become my preferred device.

The ability to just hold the "Down" button and have it auto scroll down through my list of files / folders is a *definite* bonus!!

nedkelly
18-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey chill I see that pb just got the new Playon2

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Only really good if you're going to use it as a NAS server, I can't see any other advantages except gigabit Ethernet.

Don't bother with Facebook / Twitter from them. Done that on the WDTV, it's not worth the hassle :p

echothreezero
13-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Follow-on Qu:

What is the best and easiest to use media player on the market at the moment? Do any of them have built-in WiFi?

Thanks.

dugimodo
13-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I have the earlier non networked WDTV and I think it's great. I just put anything I want to watch on a USB stick and play it from there. I have been very impressed with the format support, almost everything works.

13-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Does the play-on or WDTV have some sort of way of showing what vid files have been played.??

ie: on my HTPC, if I have a bunch of say TV programs stored, as they get played they get marked as played (ie bold filename font turned to normal font to show as played)
Cheers

davidmmac
13-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Does the play-on or WDTV have some sort of way of showing what vid files have been played.??

ie: on my HTPC, if I have a bunch of say TV programs stored, as they get played they get marked as played (ie bold filename font turned to normal font to show as played)
Cheers

I've got the original WDTV and it doesn't show you what's been played, but if you select an item you stopped watching half way through it'll ask if you want to resume it. It looses this data though if you turn it off at the wall.

Not sure what the WDTV Live or the Play-on do though sorry.

BBCmicro
13-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I have 3 hardware media players:

- WD TV Live HD (best overall)
- Anyware PBR-500
- Mediagate 450 HD

They each have good points and bad points.

The WD TV Live is great for accessing Tune In radio stations (such as RNZ Concert, BBC3, ABC Classic). It does not have a display so you need your TV on to navigate when listening to the radio

The PBR-500 in addition to being a media player that plays USB and network shares has component video capture (!) allowing recording of Sky stuff and its transfer to PC (it has an FTP server). No built-in Wifi

The Mediagate, with built-in WiFi, nowdays is used to access Shoutcast radio stations. It's a good HD media player (internal HDD, network (XP), USB) but it won't connect to Win7

The worst media player by far is the Bravia USB port. (EX700). It won't accept NTFS HDDs. Only FAT32 not extFAT (has 4GB file limit). It's VERY picky on what it will play.

Rather than getting more wireless dongles I'm thinking of getting a "range extender" or wireless client to combine all the players and wirelessly connect to my main wireless router and desktop network (perhaps a Netgear WN2000RPT-100Aus)