PDA

View Full Version : NB6Plus4Wn Firmware Update?

CliveM
17-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I have recently set up a new NB6Plus4Wn ADSL router it is running well as far as I know. The Current Firmware Version on it is: 3.103z. NetComs site says that the current firmware version is 3104d. My question follows. Is it advisable to upgrade to the latest version as a matter of course or would I be better advised to leave it as is?

Chilling_Silence
17-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Unless there's some new feature that you need, or it's unstable currently, or there's a security vulnerability, then I'd not bother personally.

Unfortunately there's no changelog as far as I can tell?

CliveM
17-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for that Chill. The only thing I can see that is changed is the default Bandwidth mode goes from 20MHz to 40MHz to optimize the 11n Wi-Fi performance.

Morgenmuffel
17-03-2011, 05:32 PM
I have recently set up a new NB6Plus4Wn ADSL router it is running well as far as I know. The Current Firmware Version on it is: 3.103z. NetComs site says that the current firmware version is 3104d. My question follows. Is it advisable to upgrade to the latest version as a matter of course or would I be better advised to leave it as is?
I am running mine with 3.104d and its fine, infact i am fairly sure it has been out for ages.

Dont use the beta one floating somewhere unofficially ( adds ipv6 stuff)as apparently it was buggy and can stuff the router.

CliveM
17-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I am running mine with 3.104d and its fine, infact i am fairly sure it has been out for ages.

Dont use the beta one floating somewhere unofficially ( adds ipv6 stuff)as apparently it was buggy and can stuff the router.

Thanks for that

CliveM
18-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Have updated to 3.104d without problem. It is running fine.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Good stuff :)

How have you found the router so far? What made you choose that particular model?

CliveM
18-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Good stuff :)

How have you found the router so far? What made you choose that particular model?

A first rate router, easiest to set up one I have used. I purchased it from PB on your recommendation (you should get a commision).
I have had a Belkin and two Linksys modems before all of which I got to work ok on Wired Country/Compass. I tried an ASUS one which refused to perform correctly for either me or the Compass Tech who tried to help, I dumped it. This NetCom one, now on xtra ADSL was very easy to set up.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I purchased it from PB on your recommendation (you should get a commision).

Haha, I did? I recommend them so much I start forgetting who I've mentioned them to :p

Glad to hear you're happy with it!!

Edit: Yes, I should get a commission, that'd be lovely :D

Agent_24
18-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Did you know these are actually just rebranded Dynalinks? (or vice-versa?)

For example the plain NB6 is the same as the RTA1320 - just the firmware says "Netcomm" instead, and of course the case is different. But the hardware is almost identical.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes. NetComm bought out Dynalink a couple of years back now. That's why the interfaces are pretty much identical.

Still, I avoid the RTA1320's personally, just due to bad experiences with overheating, though it was supposedly just a "bad batch" that was recalled. The rest I've found quite good.

NetComm have also retained the Dynalink brand in certain countries due to peoples association with that brand so much that they wouldn't buy "NetComm Products" but would buy from Dynalink. Stupid I know, but yeah :p

Agent_24
18-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Interesting... didn't know that.

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah I caught up with a guy from NetComm / Dynalink who was visiting a supplier of mine (This supplier resold NetComm gear). They were nice folks, though their upper level support team sucks, and their V90 VoIP phones are %@#$...