PDA

View Full Version : Linux downloaded, installed, and troubles have begun...

02-10-2001, 03:54 PM
Hey there, thanks so far to the two or three people who have helped me, it's really appreciated.

I installed Redhat Linux 7.1 this morning, and yeah, in the installation, I specified I wanted my IP assigned by DHCP (Currently my Windows XP partition on this computer does it) from another computer, but I've since decided to keep Linux as the DHCP server, and wanna change this.
Please help me do this.

Also, and because of the above, Linux hangs on startup when it's trying to configure my network card - eth0, I can get around this by doing an interactive startup, but I assume when I fix the DHCP problem this should be fixed.

Please help me once again,
I'm truely thankful,
Jonathan Giles

02-10-2001, 04:24 PM
It hasn't hung, its trying to get an IP, the same as windows does.

If you give it long enough it will give up.

You could try setting an IP address in the mean time, but you probably wont be rebooting very often :-).

I can;t help much with the networking stuff, have you tried the HOW-TOs.

02-10-2001, 06:58 PM
... if you are using Gnome, you should be able to get to Network configure through the Control Panel.
If you can work with command line... boot up, to the lilo prompt boot: answer linux single, and this will bring up as root in single user mode, and you can 'mv /etc/sysconfig/network ./' and this will stop it networking. Copyit back when you have read the HOWTO files.

03-10-2001, 04:26 PM
further: in commandline mode,
'netconfig'
tab to the 'Use DHCP' line and 'spacebar' to clear the selection,then tab to the windows for setting the IP addresses..