PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Software

02-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Questions to OSS-lovers in Pcworld : How many of you do actually know C/C++ to the level which will allow to explore and understand the source code of Linux or Start Office? How many of you do want to work after work for free to check these sources for bugs?

Actually could you tell the story to readers about 'How I use advantages of *Open Source* Software, and how do tons of C/C++ code help me to do my everyday work?'

Thanks.

02-10-2001, 05:21 PM
I have read the source for some smaller projects. Reading source is a big help for learning. But I'm probably not going to be reading the kernel source any time soon.

For the end user the advantages are not from having a cd or two full of source code sitting in a draw.

I think the main advantage is more from the fact it is available to people who can use it.

Although this also helps the end user because they have more control.
Like being allowed to make copies for friends.
Knowing that you will not be restricted in how you can use it (aparantly the latest MS Frontpage license prohibits you from 'disparaging Microsoft').

And also that you won't get stuck with one vendor because of their closed file formats, I still have disks with stuff from First Choice and First Publisher on them that i can't open (although the fact their 360KB floppies doesn't help either :-).

There is also the advantage of reliability (the more mature projects at least).
The programs tend to be more stable, and secure (many eyeballs etc).

I havn't been forced to reboot linux for anything yet and i've been using it for about 2 years. The worst i've managed is crashing the X-Server.

03-10-2001, 12:13 AM
So, do you think R&D cost nothing? How else one can protect his intellectual property, but by restricting the source?
Also the question was - how does it help *you* in everyday work, not learning or copying for friends.