PDA

View Full Version : No System Restore of F8 Safe Mode Boot

tirikatene
16-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Downloaded a program that was invasive to say the least.

Before opening the file on the computer I created a restore point in case I got into trouble.

Deleted the program after a brief trial and it has obviously taken out some Microsoft files, ie: mail, messenger,etc

Went to go back to the system restore point that was created and the interface tells me it is no longer working, ie: shadowing not functioning or similar?

So back to F8 to get into safe mode and now the computer will not recognize that either.Just keeps loading the full Vista operating system.

Where to next - the joys of trialling unknown software.
Any help much appreciated, Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Try F8 / last known good config

tirikatene
16-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks Speedy.

Tried to get into 'safe mode' via F8 to try and activate system restore from that point, but the computer will not recognize F8 - this could be an unrelated issue to the software problem I have indicated.

Have been trying to get into the bios settings, ie: via F2 and F12 - but no! - it will not recognize any 'F' keys as such?

Is this maybe a virus issue?

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2011, 06:06 PM
System restore wont work in safe mode. As most services are disabled in safe mode. Hold / press F8 down, after you reboot till the menu comes up.

If F2 / F12 doesnt work, try delete to get into the BIOS. I dont think a virus would affect F8, if you're not even in windows. Why do you want to get into the BIOS? Is this a wireless keyboard? If nothing works, the batteries maybe flat?

Will safe mode / networking work then?

wainuitech
16-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sytem restore will work in safe mode ( kind of)

Start the PC and select safe mode with command prompt, at the prompt type in

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe <Press Enter> Restore should now open and run as you want.

tirikatene
16-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for that advice Wainui

Have tried to paste that address into the command prompt and it has rejected same.

But am I going to the right interface to do that?

When I search for command prompt to find c: it comes back with the user adress etc first.

Should I be accessing a straight c: input to paste that path

Thanks

tirikatene
16-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Wainui - just realized what you are suggesting, only works in safe mode and I cannot get into the command prompt in safe mode?

Dont know why but F8, F2 and F12 are not recognised when I boot and the computer carries on straight to Vista 32?

wainuitech
16-03-2011, 09:11 PM
If you can get it to boot normally, click start, type in CMD, in the results, right click it, run as administrator - when the Command prompt opens, type in rstrui.exe , Press enter -- Does restore open ?

If it wont go into the safe mode options Via F8, check to see if you have a F lock key, sometimes it may have become inactive - it will be along the top row to the right of F12, if its not on then the F keys wont work at all.

Hard Arse way -- :devil

IF that doesn't work - bit a do or die way, but crash the computer.

Simply Hold in the power button to shut it down, keep it held in - it will take a few seconds but should shut down - this is a kind of controlled crash.

Then restart the computer normally - it "should" pop up with the screen giving options to start normally, safe mode etc, using the arrow keys select safe mode with command prompt.