PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptop, trying to reformat.

Mister
15-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Mates computer is a bit old, it's a HP laptop, bought off trademe, never came with a disk.

Anyway, we're trying to reformat it. We hold F11 on startup to get to the Recovery partition, it says "F11 Recovery partition" If we hold it for to long, it starts making this horrible beeping sound.

After a while, it just starts up normally. No matter how long we hold it for. It's kinda anoying.

Any ideas? Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Get the ISO's off the recovery partition, then burn them. Or create the disk/s from the menu if it gets into windows

Mister
15-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Get the ISO's off the recovery partition, then burn them. Or create the disk/s from the menu if it gets into windows

We can't get to the recovery partition because it just skips it and goes to windows, which has all these pop ups and viruses which make it kind of unusable.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Connect the hdd to another system, scan it then get the ISO's off it

Or boot into safe mode / safe mode / networking

Mister
15-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Connect the hdd to another system, scan it then get the ISO's off it

Or boot into safe mode / safe mode / networking

Going to try that now.

Mister
15-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Or create the disk/s from the menu if it gets into windows

Can't seem to find that option.

It's vista aswell.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Scan it with something then. Remove whatever after then see if it boots. Or show system files. And see if there's a recovery partition on it.

Or just remove the hdd, then put it in another PC. And scan it / get the ISO's off it (if theyre there)

richrdh
15-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Try this,

Hold the F8 key whilst turning on the laptop, to get into the safe mode selection screen.
With Vista, listed above Safe mode, will be "repair my computer" arrow up and select this, this will start the vista repair process, once completed (even if it doesnt fix anything) , select the advanced/other option and then recover or restore to factory defaults. (something like that in this general area, just going from memory as have done it a few times)

Good luck,

Richard

pctek
15-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Does it have the correct version of Windows it originally came with?
If it's beyond repair you might just have to format and do a fresh install, and get the drivers off HPs website. The COA sticker underneath should say what version of Windows it should have.

Vista repair never worked. Ever. Anytime I ever tried it.

The Error Guy
15-03-2011, 08:54 PM
(someone may correct me on this) since you have a legitimate license (i'm assuming that its legit by the way) for vista and are legitimately unable to get to the recovery ISO's is it not legal to download a vista ISO and install from that? I would assume so, at least thats How I have been informed.

If its not legal do d/l then borrow a copy of a vista disk and install it with your product key which should be on the bottom of your laptop.

No matter which way you reinstall make sure you chose advanced options and erase from the menu that asks which disk you would like to install to. that way you will get rid of all the cr*p that came on the PC.

Good luck with that as well.

wainuitech
15-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Downloading any Microsoft OS from sites can be dangerous as you never know what else has been added into them. ( malware etc)

If they were coming from somewhere like Technet, MSDN then they would be fine.

Better off borrowing a OEM DVD and using the COA on the back of the laptop.

Oh BTW -- you wont find any ISO files in the recovery partition- Vista was one of the OS that came with .WIM files, (Microsoft Windows Imaging file format) You cant burn them to a DVD like an ISO file and install the OS, they dont work like that.

sahilcc7
15-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Boot into vista. Then go into start menu search and there should be something called recovery manager.... That's all I can remember from when I had vista. After installing 7, for some reason I can't boot back into the recovery manager from bootup.

:pf1mobmini: