PDA

View Full Version : Stuck modem speed

02-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Our connection speed is 33600 bps - always - never changes. We have a 56k modem. Xtra helpdesk has had me check Control Panel/Modems, and can't find any reason why we seem to be 'set' on this speed. Telecom say as we aren't 'living in the sticks' its not a defective line. Our neighbours speeds are between 42000 and 53000 bps and they fluctuate slightly. How come??? My son says is online games lag something chronic.

02-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Few things I can think of but uve probably already checked these.

When you go to modem properties in control panel set maximum speed to 115200 and make sure only connect at this speed is unchecked.

02-10-2001, 01:52 PM
Also make sure you have the latest driver.

02-10-2001, 01:57 PM
Just check what else is connected to your phone line - faxes, cordless phones, etc. can generate enough line noise to cause your modem to connect at a lower speed. Unplug everything on your phone line, all phones, fax machines, and try your connect speed. If it improves, reconnect the other units one at a time till you find the culprit. It could be more than one unit.

02-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Hi Elle,It appears to me that you are confusing the DTE speed and the DCE speed of a modem. The DTE speed is set in the modem properties dialogue and refers to the speed your computer transfers data to and from your modem.this is the speed that most PCI modems report on screen. The DCE speed is the speed the modem transfers data on the telephone line and only some modems can report this.The reason that this DCE speed varies a little is because it is negotiated between the two ends of the telephone line during all that noise they make when they connect. If either end detect errors it will switch down to a lower speed untill it gets error free transmission. The maximum DCE speed is about 53000 bps the max DTE speed is 115000 bps.It is possible on some of the more intelligent modems to change the initialisation string so that it reports DCE speed rather than DTE speed. I hope this info helps, Regards PC

02-10-2001, 02:36 PM
Check your driver in device manager and make sure windows hasn't installed the 33.6k version of your modem. What OS are you using and what is the make and model of modem

02-10-2001, 05:56 PM
Thanks for your help - but I am a novice. How do I 'check my driver in device manager'? What does OS stand for? Where do I find make and model of modem? Told you I was a novice!