PDA

View Full Version : Advice re CD drive not reading CDs please?

John H
15-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I have received the following question from my daughter who lives in a remote area in West Island:
"...we seem to be having issues with our pc reading CD's /DVD's? We have tried to run a diagnostic test, but as it won't recognise the CD's as being in the drive, it won't run the test. I tried the CD's in A's laptop & they are still working, so must be something with our pc. Any suggestions?"

She has one of those HP all in one 'imitation Apple' things with a touch screen - sorry I don't know the model or any other details.

I got her to go to My Computer, and Device Manager, and the drive shows up in both places. It says the drive is working properly. In properties in comes up as TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-633A.

Can someone please advise me what to get her to do next? Personally I suspect the rugrat grandson of sabotage, but who knows?

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Get her to run this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116). This can happen if 3rd party programs install their files / entries and stuff things up. If she's using XP, she needs to install powershell

John H
15-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks Speedy. I will send that across to her. She is 5 hours behind us at the mo, so it will be a while before I hear back.

Thanks again.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 11:04 AM
No probs

John H
15-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Well Speedy, she has got back to me. She ran that, and sadly it did not work.

She tells me she is running Vista on an HP Touchsmart - does that change things? Any more ideas please?

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Delete it in device manager then reboot. Then see if it works

dugimodo
15-03-2011, 01:53 PM
you could try a lense cleaning disk as well, the lenses can get dirty and give read problems although this is usually a little more random that what you describe.

For reasons only the designers could understand the lens usually faces upwards and has a shape designed to catch dust.
Audio lens cleaners are fine, if you can get them to play of course.

Also will the drive read anything at all ?

bevy121
15-03-2011, 02:14 PM
could try ms fixit (http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal) tool, seems to have been successful for some with that problem on those drives

John H
15-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks to the three of you. I have sent them all across to the wilds of WA.

As far as I understand it, she cannot read any discs, but if she puts them in someone else's PC they are fine.

pctek
15-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Most likely the CD has failed. Time to replace the drive.

John H
17-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, thanks everyone - close, but no cigar.

Daughter tried almost all of those methods - the ms fixit tool spat the dummy and insisted there was no internet connection even though there was. She didn't say whether she tried the lens cleaner disk.

Anyway, it looks like pctek may be right. Daughter is going to contact HP to see what they can offer. The PC isn't all that old - maybe one year - 18 months.

Thanks again.

jareemon
17-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Driver update?

:pf1mobmini:

wainuitech
17-03-2011, 08:05 PM
First thing I would do , is test to see if its a hardware or software fault with the drive.

Easy as pie -- Simply put in any bootable CD, doesn't matter what - can be any Windows OS CD, Linux or something else. Make sure the BIOS is set to boot the CD as the first drive, usually there is a key displayed on the startup telling you press F? for boot options - could be F12,F2, F5 or Esc.

If it detects the CD and boots from it, then its a software fault, quite simply because windows has not gotten to the point of loading yet - if it still wont boot from a bootable CD, then the drive is the problem, and all the software fixes in the world wont fix it.

Daughter is going to contact HP Knowing HP, dont be at all surprised if they tell her to run the recovery back to factory default - this way all data, any corruptions, programs the lot will be wiped and put back to how it was when it was first purchased -- then if the drive still plays up they would look at it.

jareemon
18-03-2011, 02:46 AM
If the hp recovery works then it's obviously a software problem anyway so could benefit from a fresh install. If not hp will repair it.

:pf1mobmini: